grinder input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we rented one like that years ago...never again! you might as well be using a lawnmower to cut out the stump. i'm sure they have a place somewhere , but not on my crew. for that kind of money you could find a used 630b or something much more powerful.

I have a grinder similar to this one but its a bit bigger, a 20 hp Dosko that weights 400 lbs. I love it because it's got the balls to do the big jobs and is small enough to get into tight places, especially since its self drive. The one you posted might be ok for a quick job but I think its a bit light. I find that when grinding, I lift the handlebars to get more downweight to the cutter wheel and try as i will, I haven't lifted the 400 lbs up yet while still being able to allow the cutter head to spin and do its job. 250 lbs seems too light to get any real down pressure. I would think the hp is a bit light also but I have no experience with 13 hp. It's going to depend on what you're grinding. :cheers:

I have a grinder similar to this one but its a bit bigger, a 20 hp Dosko that weights 400 lbs. I love it because it's got the balls to do the big jobs and is small enough to get into tight places, especially since its self drive. The one you posted might be ok for a quick job but I think its a bit light. I find that when grinding, I lift the handlebars to get more downweight to the cutter wheel and try as i will, I haven't lifted the 400 lbs up yet while still being able to allow the cutter head to spin and do its job. 250 lbs seems too light to get any real down pressure. I would think the hp is a bit light also but I have no experience with 13 hp. It's going to depend on what you're grinding. :cheers:
i had the praxis stump cutter than bought a 252 night and day now i have 252 665b and 352 i love stumps good money very little work

I think I shouild keep shopping and get a bigger used one rather than a smaller new one.

my friend is telling me that the towable kind is the way to go but I worry about tight spaces. Are those too heavy for an ATV?

get a used one

I think those 13 hp push behind stumpers are a great way to get started. Those Honda engines are super reliable, and the machines are so simple, the repairs are cheap and easy. Keep those teeth sharp and those things can make you some money. I got my 13 hp Praxis for $1800 (like new) and I have seen husky/bluebird machines listed on craigslist for $1000. My only complaint about the praxis is that it can be difficult to get stumps really deep. That should be less of a problem on the Husky/Bluebird with the larger disc.

I got my Vermeer 630a for $1600, an atv can move it on flat ground. 2 people can put it in some back yards. But I can feel it behind an F250, I bet it would feel pretty heavy on a half ton. Hydraulics and 30 hp make the grinding pretty easy!

Anyway, Bottom line, 13hp push behinds are good first machines. But be prepared to work your ars off, and when you can afford it, you are going to want to get a 252 or the likes. Self propelled seems to be the most versatile.

Last edited:
We rent them for tight spots (narrow gates) that our larger self propelled machine can't get to. They need sharp teeth to operate efficiently. As for getting down 12", you'd have to dig a lot of surrounding soil to get the machine down that low for the entire stump.

I've done a 24" cedar in about 35 min with one, but no other machine (except an Alpine magnum) would have got into that spot without a crane, so no one brag how fast their machine is.

I wish we had one sitting around for the few times we need it rather than the hassle of renting.

Personally I would go for a small 252 and rent one of these as required. It would give you more versatility.

husky stumper

stihl alive
I got two and I think there great there hard work but you can get them almost any where there the same as the blue bird check out the link below

/www.pickapro.ie/tree-stump-shrub-removal/dublin/?gclid=CIrOkMG0kZkCFRMFZgodUiO3Zw

i have this machine.

any input on this model or something in this range for a beginner. Basically when I don't have tree work driving around on my days off looking for stumps and knocking on doors.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/node3284.aspx?nid=59450&pid=73520

thanks in advance for any and all input guys.

i love it.works great after to change to green teeth.the stock teeth suck.i have ground some seriously huge stumps.also disconnect the oil alert or you will not be able to get too deep.

it is made by Bluebird which was bought by Husqvarna.sometimes you can get the bluebird cheaper,especially used.

is it a Rayco Super RG50 which we now also have,no,not by any means but for what it is,it works excellent.we started out with the Husqvarna and still use it all the time.for small stumps and stumps in tight places,it is easier to use than unloading the Rayco.i will never sell it and would buy another in a heartbeat.

we rented the Vermeer at Home Depot before we bought this one and it blows the Vermeer out of the water.

Back