Grinding roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-stumpin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been asked on a couple stumping jobs to grind some roots on live trees that cause problems with the home owner and their lawn mowers. Will grinding down these nuisance roots kill a tree? This has been my belief and that usually scares them away wanting it done.

That's a tuff one! I've had to face the same thing and with the same response "most likely". But I've also seen large roots cut for construction, tree moving, planting,irrigation, and sidewalk repair with no sign of trouble. I'm still sticking with "most likely" just to avoid any issue down the road. However of the client doesn't care about the tree then go ahead and see what happens.

t-stumpin said:
Will grinding down these nuisance roots kill a tree?
That's like asking, if I hit someone with a hammer, will it kill him? Well, it depends.
Same with cutting tree roots. If the tree is in good shape to start with, you only take a small percentage of it's roots, and you stay away from the zone of rapid taper, chances are you won't kill it.
If you did grind roots too close to the tree, and caused decay to spread up into the base causing tree failure, the liability could go on you.
A common rule of thumb is not to cut roots within 5 times the diameter of the tree. This is the absolute minimum.
Remember, a tree might only have 4 or 5 major roots. If you cut one, that's a huge percentage of the tree. It could cause top die back or tree death, and decay spread into the buttress roots that I already mentioned.

Mike Maas said:
A common rule of thumb is not to cut roots within 5 times the diameter of the tree. This is the absolute minimum.

Never heard that before but it makes good sense. I've always told them not to do it.

I will not cut roots on a live tree. So many problems you can open up by doing so. Not worth it. Im suprised to see it approved on this site. Cutting a root can be much more detrimental to a tree than topping.

Sometimes you need to cut roots. How are you going to transplant a tree without cutting some roots? What if it's a girdling root? How about on construction sites?
I do agree that cutting surface roots for cosmetic purposes or to reduce mower damage isn't the best plan. I
Always recommend chipping over them or applying a thin layer of soil.

The rule I've been taught is 4-4-4 ,, 4 roots that are 4 inches in dia, or larger within 4 feet of the trunk. CUT IT DOWN. I like the hit with a hammer comparison .

I assume you are asking about removing roots that show above the ground and cause trouble for mowers and the like. I never like to remove or shave down these roots. I always advise the home owner to add more dirt to cover over them.

John464 said:
I will not cut roots on a live tree. So many problems you can open up by doing so. Not worth it. Im suprised to see it approved on this site. Cutting a root can be much more detrimental to a tree than topping.
I don't understand why you think it is approved on this site?

All I can say on this issue is that I do work for numerous concrete contrators that replace sidewalks that have been heaved by tree roots. The City requires that the home owner replace the sidewalk and in most cases the city will not remove the tree. I have did grinding right up to the base of the tree so the sidewalk can be replaced. I have done this for years and I have never noticed any of those trees dying off. In most cases they are silver maples. Just my 2 cents worth.

woodville said:
I don't understand why you think it is approved on this site?

by approved I mean anyone who participates on this site. When people say the word "topping" this sites generates the masses(besides clearance) to disapprove. We've had a portion of people in this thread say its ok for one reason or another to cut roots on one side of a tree. What supports a tree? roots.... What supplies nutrients to a tree? roots.. Sure that guy that works for the county road department(same department that may have planted a tree that becomes too large by a sidewalk) thinks its ok. and that guy who pours cement sidewalks does it all the time. But hearing it from anyone who knows about trees and can call himself a proffesional would know better. That is what I meant by my comment. Hope that makes sense for ya.

Cover them with with dirt but be sure to not put the dirt up too high on the base of the tree, choking it.

Interesting. Many moons ago I worked in the commercial plumbing biz. Read a trade magazine article about root barriers - heavy (like 1/4"? 3/8"?) plastic about 24" wide. They trenched along side the sidewalks and curb, which were sometimes only a few feet apart. I'm talking about 2-3 feet. Plastic went in the trenches, then they backfilled. Fix the sidewalk and curb, and they're done.

The article claimed no damage to the trees. I don't remember what kind of trees they were, or how long later they went back to check on them.

Back