Grinding square-ground chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Razur sharpII bought it new for less than 600 couple years ago theyre goin for 800 now. Is more complicated than round .

If wood is clean square cuts as long as round I think you just notice it dulling more than round when it does dull. I cut some Black locust wich is rare out here last week and Stihl half skip worked great only dulling problem was from dirt in some crotches.

Ive cut all day on one or two chains falling clean soft woods.

I have a Pro Sharp, used to have a Swing Arm. The difference is night and day. Like the SDM-4 the Pro Sharp has pawls that hold the teeth in place rather than having play while the cutter is up against the stone. As far as hardwood or softwood, you can adjust your angles to cut and stay sharp despite the density. I also use the Silvey raker grinder, another great investment.

100MEDIA_IMAG1102.jpg

Got the Razur II grinder dialed in pretty good. Will try it out in the wood tomorrow.... almost feel sorry for the guys at the GTG this weekend.. Somebody's going to loose a few races :msp_biggrin::msp_wink:

I use a flat file with double beveled edge can’t say I’ve had luxury of having a square grinder persaybut here is what I can do with a square file by hand
1st pic new husky chain out of the box....

2nd pic same tooth with 8-10
89DFEA12-E2E6-4631-BC02-FCA2997E76F7.jpeg

34949E31-03E3-4222-AEB3-F8DDFF51BD38.jpeg

strokes with square grind **HAND** file

Back