groundmen (drive me nuts, make me laugh,....)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would hire that "clown" in a heartbeat. Sounds like the "clown" is somebody who is teachable, honest, respectful, hardworking, and ambitious. So what if he is gonna quit someday to establish an Affordable Tree Empire? You expecting a lifelong marriage commitment from a groundman, Dave? As long as said "clown" will help me get through a busy season or two, it's a win - win for both him and me.

After reading the second half of this thread I remembered what it was titled and had to LOL. I tell you this though, anyone tossing cig butts in my customers yard or not wiping oil overflow off a saw will be given fair warning and then if it keeps up they would be out the door so fast they wouldnt even hear it shut. So I guess pay wouldnt matter. And if I think someone has the attitude they will show up for 13, work kinda hard for 15, or bust there ass for 17 and its up to me as to how I pay them as to what they do.....there gone. Not interested in that person for any amount of money.

I would hire that "clown" in a heartbeat. Sounds like the "clown" is somebody who is teachable, honest, respectful, hardworking, and ambitious. So what if he is gonna quit someday to establish an Affordable Tree Empire? You expecting a lifelong marriage commitment from a groundman, Dave? As long as said "clown" will help me get through a busy season or two, it's a win - win for both him and me.

Waste your time training....steal your clients....steal your equipment....learn the ropes to become competition in your area (must live in your area I assume)....bad attitude towards climbers....arrogant....and yes Pelorus, I do expect a life long commitment to my business each time I hire someone....every time. I am an optimist.

After reading the second half of this thread I remembered what it was titled and had to LOL. I tell you this though, anyone tossing cig butts in my customers yard or not wiping oil overflow off a saw will be given fair warning and then if it keeps up they would be out the door so fast they wouldnt even hear it shut. So I guess pay wouldnt matter. And if I think someone has the attitude they will show up for 13, work kinda hard for 15, or bust there ass for 17 and its up to me as to how I pay them as to what they do.....there gone. Not interested in that person for any amount of money.

What ever happened to starting pay and then earning a raise? The work force these days has no toughness, they can't handle anything that is "uncomfortable". Too soft most times for this vocation.

Waste your time training....steal your clients....steal your equipment....learn the ropes to become competition in your area (must live in your area I assume)....bad attitude towards climbers....arrogant....and yes Pelorus, I do expect a life long commitment to my business each time I hire someone....every time. I am an optimist.

"must live in my area"??? No comprehendo that one.
Yeah, the potential downsides are there, but unlikely if there is mutual respect between the groundman & the employer.
Most dogs you feed and show kindness to don't turn around and lunge for your throat. Mebbe in your area they do.
Many of the local outfits up here are guys who apprenticed at Bartlett. Finished their apprenticeship.........and promptly quit!
My longest lasting groundman (apart from my son) totalled almost 4 years. Love / hate relationship.

Davey does tend to turn a blind eye to side work, I had part of my crew that actually had a side business. The old DM, the SR salesmen and a few climbers and groundies would go out on the weekends, even use company equipment. When I took over it stopped. It is at the DM's discretion, is how it was put to me, by my boss? Using company equipment was strictly forbidden tho.
I feel Daves pain, have had the same issues. Why I just have the boys right now, if EAB does kick, then I will be forced to hire. But I will bring in someone from the outside of the area. The talent in this area is pretty lame and all the issues that Dave talks about would come to pass real quick.
The bouncer is doing his thing, guys can get a little roudy before they get tossed. When they start throwing beers at the bar, then they will go.

I'm considering applying for an interested co-op student from local High School this summer.
Only done this once before, and the positives (work output and attitude) outweighed the negatives. There actually weren't many negatives. She (the student)was recommended to me by the woodshop instructor who taught both her and my son.

Wow, climbers and owners dont like hearing the truth. You pay bananas, dont be surprised when you get monkeys. I read the list of how to be an excellent groundie, then 2 threads later saw a guy ******** about going thru 5 gms in a season. If you pay well and offer incentives guys will wanna work for you. If you are only offering the bare minimum, youre gonna get guys whos only reference is his latest parole officer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

"must live in my area"??? No comprehendo that one.
Yeah, the potential downsides are there, but unlikely if there is mutual respect between the groundman & the employer.
Most dogs you feed and show kindness to don't turn around and lunge for your throat. Mebbe in your area they do.
Many of the local outfits up here are guys who apprenticed at Bartlett. Finished their apprenticeship.........and promptly quit!
My longest lasting groundman (apart from my son) totalled almost 4 years. Love / hate relationship.

not your area....the area that is hiring them...uh...because they are applying there....creating your (their) own competition.

Wow, climbers and owners dont like hearing the truth. You pay bananas, dont be surprised when you get monkeys. I read the list of how to be an excellent groundie, then 2 threads later saw a guy ******** about going thru 5 gms in a season. If you pay well and offer incentives guys will wanna work for you. If you are only offering the bare minimum, youre gonna get guys whos only reference is his latest parole officer.

Paid my last gm 20 bucks an hour and had a guy for 6 years before that...20 bucks an hour. Take your head outta your ascs and you will be back in reality. I don't put up with schit...they don't like that. Last guy of the 4 called me yesterday and asked that if his wife calls would I please tell her he is still working for me. He left my $4,500. 1 yr. old dump trailer unprotected in my equipment lot when I told him to block it with the truck and it was stolen. Didn't even fire him for that. He tells me one day he's gonna take off for an interview for a job with the railroad. He still wants my job but is just gonna check it out. I said I will likely have someone else the day after he interviews...where are these people's minds.

Guy before that 20 bucks an hour, works three days, does everything perfect, even does a difficult td, doesn't show up on 4th day. His mom called me on the ad. 27 years old and his kid and him live with mom and dad. Worked for just about every co. in Cinci. I asked a friend owner he worked for...says he is a intravein. heroin addict and a thief (one goes with the other).

Guy before that works for couple of weeks, again 26, lives with mom and dad, has his kid with him, no mom. Sketchy work involvement, then one day I am up in a tree doing a td and he gets a call (always sneaking the phone), and his kid got bit by a spider. He walks off the job while I am in the tree. Fired! Guy before that, again sketchy work, and like most gm's ....TALK their fool asses off. Started taking down the wrong large bush on the job. I pointed right at it and it was DEAD evergreen. Almost fired. GAWD...could that guy flap his lips, Guiness TAlk champion. GAWD....end issue, he is running my Yota and it overheats. Put some damn coolant in it. No..overheats and blows a headgasket. $1,200. Fired.

Guy before that...works for me for over 6 years. Train him on everything. Help and pay towards his CDL, Cert Arb., Pest lic. Teach him thousand things. $20 an hour for years. Gets married and quits. Wife thinks he is so smart prob. should be President of General Motors. Takes a job with Davey instead. Quits after a short period...Invited me to his wedding just before he quits so he could get some money from me. Not a tiny iota of warning he was gonna quit....right in spring busy season when everyone has landed in a job....fucher.

GAwd can a gm talk...

But like I said...all is good in Treevetland as my new gm of 3 days is doing everything perfect, just told me he wants to retire in my company. The sun is shining and everything is copescetic....for now :)

Paid my last gm 20 bucks an hour and had a guy for 6 years before that...20 bucks an hour. Take your head outta your ascs and you will be back in reality. I don't put up with schit...they don't like that. Last guy of the 4 called me yesterday and asked that if his wife calls would I please tell her he is still working for me. He left my $4,500. 1 yr. old dump trailer unprotected in my equipment lot when I told him to block it with the truck and it was stolen. Didn't even fire him for that. He tells me one day he's gonna take off for an interview for a job with the railroad. He still wants my job but is just gonna check it out. I said I will likely have someone else the day after he interviews...where are these people's minds.

Guy before that 20 bucks an hour, works three days, does everything perfect, even does a difficult td, doesn't show up on 4th day. His mom called me on the ad. 27 years old and his kid and him live with mom and dad. Worked for just about every co. in Cinci. I asked a friend owner he worked for...says he is a intravein. heroin addict and a thief (one goes with the other).

Guy before that works for couple of weeks, again 26, lives with mom and dad, has his kid with him, no mom. Sketchy work involvement, then one day I am up in a tree doing a td and he gets a call (always sneaking the phone), and his kid got bit by a spider. He walks off the job while I am in the tree. Fired! Guy before that, again sketchy work, and like most gm's ....TALK their fool asses off. Started taking down the wrong large bush on the job. I pointed right at it and it was DEAD evergreen. Almost fired. GAWD...could that guy flap his lips, Guiness TAlk champion. GAWD....end issue, he is running my Yota and it overheats. Put some damn coolant in it. No..overheats and blows a headgasket. $1,200. Fired.

Guy before that...works for me for over 6 years. Train him on everything. Help and pay towards his CDL, Cert Arb., Pest lic. Teach him thousand things. $20 an hour for years. Gets married and quits. Wife thinks he is so smart prob. should be President of General Motors. Takes a job with Davey instead. Quits after a short period...Invited me to his wedding just before he quits so he could get some money from me. Not a tiny iota of warning he was gonna quit....right in spring busy season when everyone has landed in a job....fucher.

GAwd can a gm talk...

But like I said...all is good in Treevetland as my new gm of 3 days is doing everything perfect, just told me he wants to retire in my company. The sun is shining and everything is copescetic....for now :)

Then why are you disagreeing with me you old fart? You and the idiot from ct callin his gm dumb **** or wjaever come here and talk disrespectfully of half the profession and you expect people not to get upset? Why didnt you put that yoi pay well and expectbquality, cuZ then id wouldve been agreeing with you.

because I don't agree with YOU scooter. I DON'T "pay bananas" and still get monkies...and addicts...and dummies...

you will figure it out...someday...mebbee not....your a groundman.

Lol, sorry dusty, but im not.

Maybe youll figure out people skills, then people other than monkeys, addicts, and mommas boys will work for you for longer than a week.

Everyone figures they are worth more than they are getting paid! It's only natural.
My 4-yr gm never earned a raise, and he consequently never got one. He could talk a good game; fooled a lot of people into (temporarily) believing he was intelligent. I felt sometimes like I was looking into the eyes of a Holstein chewing it's cud, and no grey matter reposed behind a vacant soulful stare into nothingness.

Lol. $20 an hour is NOT a good living unless you are also getting a sweeeet benefit package. Problem is that it is damn good money to pay a ground guy. Ground guy isn't a solid career choice for anyone with a brain unless they really like the work. No money in it. If someone is looking at ground guy as a career opportunity there's a reason for it. Checkered past, addict, baby mama drama, dumb as a brick, etc.

was his name "Chief116"? lol

Hey wizard sleeve, you may be a legend in your own mind, doesnt change the fact your old ass couldnt dream of the production I am a part of. Those crackheads you attract like flies speak volumes about the kind of man you are.

On my 5th gm since last fall. This one might stick...but I always think that.

He just informed me that his last tree job his boss is about 300 lbs with arms the size of a ham hock but he quit because he is going to change into a woman and he can't take it.

Ground men are the cheapest people on the face of the earth. 10 degrees out and got 2 pairs of brown dollah cotton gloves with holes all over. Borrow your gloves and you never see em again.
I pay my ground guys well, buy them lunch, invite them over to the house for dinner, even help them out from time to time on case by case basis , I guess I treat them like family in turn they treat me the same.

Latest posts

Back