Growing Mulberry Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
I cut and split some Mulberry last November 15 and stacked it out in my west field on pallets. Noticed tonight as I was stacking some fresh cut wood on a set of pellets beside this one that some of the stupid Mulberry splits have green leaves sprouting out of them. Now I know we have had an excessive amount of rain so far this year which might account for this, and not all the splits have leaves but there are quite a few. It has been a half year since I processed these and they are still capable of throwing out sprout. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. I guess I am wondering if this is a common occurrence with Mulberry?

I had that happen with a sassafras tree me and a buddy took down on my property. Not with the actual splits, though. While we were disecting the tree with the saws we threw scraps of the canopy off to the side. That was at the end of the year when everything lost its leaves and went into hibernation mode. Come springtime I was walking along the driveway and saw some of the discarded pieces were trying to regrow themselves. The branches were pushing out green buds!

If you just let your firewood stack grow for a couple years you'll get a second cutting :hmm3grin2orange:I knew firewood was a renewable resource, but just not how renewable :hmm3grin2orange:
I know Willow and Poplar will grow after being cut, but didn't know Mulberry would do that.
I have some Willow trees in my pasture, and after Sandy broke a big limb off of one of them last fall I cut the limb up, and didn't clean up the pieces until May of this year. They were rooted so good that it was all i could do to pry them from the ground.
By the way, How does Mulberry burn?

If you go back and check the stumps, you should see new trees sprouting. Mulberry is dioecious, meaning there are male and female trees. The females are the ones that produce the berries - which I happen to love to eat. Mulberry is a prolific sprouter.

The sprouts are doing you a favor by pulling the moisture out of the split. As summer wears on they will wilt and die. Mulberry makes pretty good firewood. Willow...I swear that crap will try sprouting in the OWB and even the ash pile.

Also seems to depend on when it is cut as to how much sprouting......

Speaking of, there is quite a harvest of the berries this year. Friend of mine is coming over to collect them to make mulberry wine:smile2:

I like mulberry a lot, and yes, it will resprout like crazy. You can cut branches and just stick them in the ground, most will grow well given just some ground moisture. Resrouts from the stump readily, perpetual supply!

We eat them, wild birds eat them, throw some at the chickens as well. And it is real good firewood I have found.

Went out tonight and snapped a couple of pics for the board to check out. Notice how weather checked the one piece is and it is still sprouting leaves.

100_2775_zps9870a460.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Even cut walnut will sprout out if there's enough moisture around. It's the tree's last gasp to try to live.

Green mulberry and green locust rounds have one thing in common: lifting them is back breaking. :bang:

Speaking of which, I have some huge locust rounds that are sprouting too.

Thought they were maybe hedge till I saw the leaves.

I have seen whole trees that were cut, go ahead and sprout, but half dried pieces like that is really surprising. Guess there must be some moisture in there yet. My guess is that the sprout wont last too long once the summer heat hits!:msp_smile:
Thanks for including the pics.

Ron

Leaving them in rounds, they are more likely to sprout. I had a half cord stacked this time two years ago. Most of the branch wood I left unsplit. And most of those pieces sprouted. I had one piece near the middle of the 4 ft. high stack that sent out a sprout 2 ft. long. It would be odd to see your own wood stack shade itself.
(They all dried up and died later that summer though.)

Cheers.

Mulberry is a survivor. I admire them for that but it also means they are a constant pain in the neck, growing everywhere I don't want them, over and over I would cut the same little trees until a fellow AS member suggested I use Tordon to cause a permanent kill. This is a work saver.

Mulberry is a survivor. I admire them for that but it also means they are a constant pain in the neck, growing everywhere I don't want them, over and over I would cut the same little trees until a fellow AS member suggested I use Tordon to cause a permanent kill. This is a work saver.

Weird because I was trying my damnedest to get four transplant mulberry trees to grow a month or so ago but they died. We only have a couple trees around here so I was trying to get a steady sorce of mulberries.

My other nuisance tree is the Mimossa (unsure of spelling), purely a decorative tree, almost like a big weed. I've had several people ask me to dig the very small ones for them to transplant. I have tried but failed. Like the Mulberry they have a deep driving tap root that is extreme and very fragile secondary roots, thus it is difficult to dig without extensively damaging the roots. The Mulberry has the same characteristics with their roots. I have no idea if they are related or share any classifications but I can see how the Mulberry may also be a difficult one to save the roots during a transplant but after you have one with berries, and I'm not sure if they all produce berries, the birds know exactly which day to eat the berries and then discharge the colorful excrement, targeting your windshield where you can closely examine the smear whether you want to or not.

Latest posts

Back