Growing up with Redwood's. Truely God's country.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on how you're getting paid....woods scale or mill scale. Either way it seldom comes out to the faller's advantage. If you were busheling and had one splatter like that you probably wouldn't make much money on it in any case. If you're day waging it wouldn't matter as long as it came undone because of an internal defect. If the faller busts up too many because of his own mistakes he'll either get a wage reduction or a trip to town.
Good info buddy, and I agree with you and Neil on the trip to town. Seen too many guys who were careless or just thought they were good. Not only costly on the lumber side, but life and limb those kind should stay in town. M.D vaden awesome picture impressive man look at that stump, and burl!

Many years ago while hunting I walk through a sale that had just been cut. This was up in Skagit Ct in the north part of the state. Was probably about 3 to 4 K in elevation. Mostly good size 2nd growth Hemlock. Every tree I looked at had shattered when it hit the ground. This was on Georgia Pacific land at the time.

what was the cause, landing on uneven ground or hitting stumps or rocks ect, what a waste

I really don't know? The terrain was pretty normal for that country. They'd laid everything along the hill which is pretty normal for here. I've dumped Doug Fir in similar settings without a problem. Maybe just a bad stand of Hemlock.

Hemlocks until fairly recently were considered a trash tree, like White Fir. They gained value as a pulp tree, as did the White Fir. Both have similar characteristics as far as falling them, care must be taken or they will shatter. You can't treat them like they were Doug Firs, which are pretty tough. Although I had problems with falling DFs for piling, I broke the first three in a row, before they came off the stump, the trees were very tall and skinny, the top third "folded" backwards. What a mess it was.

+1 to RandyMac. The hemloc wont take a bad lay like a fir will. Its not uncommon to see even a 12'' otb hem with over 90% rot in it alot like some cedar around here.

Last edited:
I really don't know? The terrain was pretty normal for that country. They'd laid everything along the hill which is pretty normal for here. I've dumped Doug Fir in similar settings without a problem. Maybe just a bad stand of Hemlock.

ok fair enough..

Everyone should plant a redwood, Redwoods can grow fast out in the open, a big weed, I'v got four that we planted about thirty years ago that go 2' to 3' across already , my family logged in the redwoods out of Orick Cal. in the 50's with lots of one log loads came out of there. And yes there always will be the big redwoods saved for everyone to look at safe from us evil loggers.

Cary

Good stuff, anybody have a pic of a nice hemlock?

At Prairie Creek redwoods state park. A Western Hemlock

Tsuga_Tsunami_1200.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Randy. I cut a few Hemlocks but at lower elevations. Outside of being pitchy bas**&s never had one shatter on me.

Cary good story welcome, and REP sent! MD great hemlock picture thanks, beautifull tree and big one.

Here you go, if you havent heard it this is a song from 1960 called 'The Redwood song' it kinda somes it up , by wendal adams and ron walters , our radio station plays it every morning at 5:50 .

Cary

Every night before I fall asleep, my thoughts are in the redwood country where I have run the hills with my dogs for so many years. Almost took a drive today to hunt some redwoods with the camera. Got leads on one outlaw supposed to be a real monster, up the Annapolis river.

Hey ... never heard that redwood song before. Ended up replaying it several times.

Going back to redwood country this coming weekend. We're planning one or two one-day adventures into the midst of a north park to two to see if anything remains to be discovered.

A couple of weeks ago, I spotted the redwood shown below. It's up on a hillside in Prairie Creek redwoods.

Note the man for size comparison.

234393d1334805395-behemoth_1_600-jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back