GTG around north carolina 4-18-09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad was transferred here with Weyerhaeuser in 1974. I went to New Bern High School my senior year only. Jimmy Smith, the physics teacher, spent all his time teaching in class talking about the birthplace of Pepsi, and other stuff about New Bern's history. Then, his tests were on stuff like college level physics.

Ever heard of a place in James City, on the river, called Conn's Mansion? It dated back to the pre-Civil War days, and had a separate building with bars on the windows for their slave quarters. Nice folks, eh? NOT. The house was all boarded up when I saw it, but someone lived there until about the early Seventies, I believe.

is that where the piggly wiggly is ? behind there a ways or is it further down old cherry pt road ?

i was in that area back in 1981-1983 in james city went to hj mcdonald my 7th grade year to part 8th grade before i left the group home and moved back to my home you probily heard of windjammer group home thats where i was back when i was a kid

i know there is a road by williams turf and behind kentucky fried chicken in that vacinity is a road you go down to the water and it has some old homes in there

then there is a place in there that has like a camp site etc. on the water edge
i guess he talked about old time tryon palace that place has history there its been years since i went there

where is new bern?

where mountainman lives i only live 30 minutes south east of new bern

if you look on the nc map and look toward the ocean and go bout half way up the coast line you should see where the land sticks out further on the ocean than wilmington does if you follow that north west of the ocean you will see New Bern just follow route 70 on the map or find kinston and follow it down hwy 70 you will see it

it is 35 degrees 6'33" N
and 77 degrees 4' 9" W

Last edited:
The closest central location would probably be somewhere between Lexington and Sanford NC

Ya'll let me know a place and date and I will try my best to be there. We can do another at my house but I don't have a way to pick the logs up anymore. We can sit 'em on the trailer with man power, LOL. My home is not to far from the fire dept, stihl in Laurinburg. I would prefer it be before it gets hotter than 40 hells.:D

Mowertech: Conn's Mansion is just down the road, toward New Bern, from Monette's Store, if you know where that is. And I know you do. I believe it is still owned by Sheriff Jerry Monette's family.

Ya'll let me know a place and date and I will try my best to be there. We can do another at my house but I don't have a way to pick the logs up anymore. We can sit 'em on the trailer with man power, LOL. My home is not to far from the fire dept, stihl in Laurinburg. I would prefer it be before it gets hotter than 40 hells.:D

It was only 30 Hells hot last May!

Glad to see you back Brian, I thought the beavers had et ya.

It was only 30 Hells hot last May!

Glad to see you back Brian, I thought the beavers had et ya.

LOL!:D Just think it could have been hotter, one of those quick muggy rains and I would have been in the A/C, with the G/F.:biggrinbounce2:

I have not been playing with saws much, I've been busy with guns since obamanation, his favorite kind ARs and AKs:chainsaw: :clap:

Oh, and the beavers, well they are my favorite food.:love1:

Larry,

You smoke 'em and sell 'em?

Joat

No . . . . .I just love to eat em!

Pardon me if I'm on-topic. It simply means that I lack a proper grasp of the thread topic.

Last edited:
If we do have it in laurinburg maybe myselfand someone from asheville are could carpool ...its about 4hrs from here.

Back