GTG in Upstate NY. NYCSM style.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more.set

Before Blood & guts go to town..

attachment.php

Blood on the ice after gulog labor in the woods..

attachment.php

Stuff for the next GTG:

attachment.php

Last edited:
OK, time for the usual post GTG wrap up here.

These things are just a rippin' good time, and you guys are all a real class act.

The Food: All of those pics of the fantastic dutch oven dinners are the result of a lot of hard work. CSW and WC81 get ALL of the credit for that stuff. The rest of us are just burger and dog types, if not just "stop at the store" lazy. Problem is, you've spoiled us now. We were down in the woods Sunday, wondering what "The Chefs" were going to have waiting for us. Thanks so much for sharing all of that stuff with us. Extra special thanks to J.Walker for sneaking that extra pie from Monica's into my truck.

Drink: Special mention goes to beowulf67 who pulled out a bottle of Courvoisier for Campfire time. Cognac gives our GTG's a little extra class. It also brought my slide guitar playing up a notch.

Revele: What happens on the morning of a campout GTG? At 0600 hours, someone starts up a chainsaw, and gooses the throttle a half dozen times then says, "It is now six O'clock. Everybody up for breakfast." It was precisely at that moment that I began having second thoughts about having "one more" Courvoisier several times the previous night.

The saws: The pics tell the story, but it was the best cross section of saws to see in one place. Lot's of brands spanning many years. And many of the old saws did plenty of real work in the woods, not just cookies. It was fun to listen to all of the different exhaust notes coming from all of that heavy metal.

Brand stuff: To demonstrate our contempt for all of the brand bickering that infects this site, the Stihl dealer, (Blood), ran a Husky 262XP when we went off to work in the woods, and the Husky dealer, (me), ran a Stihl 041Super. We had a lot of fun.

The work: We had a chance to go off into the woods and have at it with plenty of large tops that were leftover from the property being logged last fall. Using the different saws in a work environment is a far more interesting way to compare them vs cookie cutting.

Tech time: We always like to do some bench work at these things, and put some stuff together. Motomedik has gotten into the porting thing, and he's really on target with this stuff. He did a 359 jug for me, and his work is A+. I was so anxious to run it I set a new record saw assembly time for myself. Made a few cuts and the thing really rips. Couldn't get into it as much as we wanted because the famous "357/359 doesn't want to idle" carb problem was present, so we shut it off. It will have the new updated carb by tomorrow evening! I can't wait to REALLY try it.

Swap meet: We also have a little swap meet action at these things. Everyone's tastes in saws are a little different, so it's fun to do some trading. I traded a Stihl 051AV to CSW for a nice Sachs-Dolmar 119. I've always liked that Dolmar chassis; there were a lot of models in that family.

The people: Actually a pretty special group of guys. Everyone is always willing to share whatever they have and always ready to help each other out. Extra special thanks of course to weimedog for sharing the farm with us and hosting this event. It was like going to a chain saw theme park. These things are great therepy for me this time of year. It was pretty windy there Saturday night, and as I was sitting by the fire picking on the guitar, I told Pete that the wind was just peeling the layers of stress from my body. (The cognac was helping also)

Fantastic time!

PS-So who was it that actually started that saw at 6:00 AM??????

I knew you were going to post that pic of me in the $1.99 poncho. That's cool, that's cool. Somebody else will probably want that extra 920Super I got laying around anyway. :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Did I ever mention that you're a really swell guy? Well I must say that you are! :D

Even way back when you went to "Aunt Marie's Birthday Party" you were one heck of a guy!! :laugh: :p ;)

So them Jonny 930's are really great saws ya know. And I don't have one either... ;)

The heck with 920S', Got any more 1.99 ponchos?:monkey:

Yeah, I had a yellow one there also, but you guys made fun of the other one, so I figured I'd just watch you all get wet. Thank God it was just a quick shower. I was really looking forward to the whole campfire thing. Next time we'll each assign the other a couple of songs to bone up on and we'll be able to play together instead of each doing our own thing.

Only thing is, I want to be the guy who runs the "alarm saw" at the next one. :cheers:

Yeah, I had a yellow one there also, but you guys made fun of the other one, so I figured I'd just watch you all get wet. Thank God it was just a quick shower. I was really looking forward to the whole campfire thing. Next time we'll each assign the other a couple of songs to bone up on and we'll be able to play together instead of each doing our own thing.

Only thing is, I want to be the guy who runs the "alarm saw" at the next one. :cheers:

I thought the poncho was quite dashing!

Also want to mention the trades and gifts bestowed on me.
As Bob mentioned before, I traded a Sachs Dolmar 119 for a Stihl 051AV.
I'm trying to thin the mid-sized saw herd a little.
I was totally impressed with the 051, Just needed an impulse line to make it run, and a sprocket to make it cut(which I didn't't have).
Also from Bob I recived 2 new 16" saw bars. But the peace de resistance Is the beautiful Mac 250 that he gave me as I left...Thanks Bob! Almost forgot the SXL chain cover...Thanks again.
From Walt I adopted a PM 270/Skil to restore. I have a soft spot for PMs.
Found the the PM is missing a welsh plug that goes into the transfer port, That would explain the massive air leak!
I did not adopt Walt's Lamb saw for 2 reasons, I did not want to be a crow, and I didn't't have room in the truck! lol
Mary, Walt's wife made a Rhubarb cake that was Great! I was pretty full so I only had 1 piece. Thanks Mary!

Cale brought me a box containing a pioneer P28 (that I got from JWaker) and various Parts and chains that I had ordered from him. (as I type, I am reminded that I need to pay Cale for the chains) Thank-you Cale and Jack!
BTW, We thought the P28 had low compression, as it turns out it has an automatic compression release! The thing Rips!
Thanks to everyone again!
Jim

Edit: Thanks Jason - Motomedic, for the Homelite parts!

Last edited:
Thanks to all you guys at the NYCSG for sharing the great pictures and stories from the GTG. Makes those of us who weren't there feel like we were part of the fun. I would love to attend the next event if you guys allow non NYCSG "members" to attend.

Latest posts

Back