guero

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm so new here that I posted this to the wring place earlier. I appologize.
Anyway, I bought a POULAN C-V 5200 at auction awhile back, not noticeing that it was missing the "throttle lock" mechanism. The local saw shop can't find a part to fix it, and I can't start it without someone holding it while I pull the starter rope and hold the throttle with my other hand. The saw runs great, excellent compression, etc., and I would really like to get it fixed. Does anybody know of an old 5200 for sale for parts? My usual inter-net searches have not turned up anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really like reading the posts here. You guys are honest and to the point. Tried adding pics to this, but could not figure out how to do it. I guess I should read the FAQ section. Tks in advance for any advice.

Welcome to the site.

If you are going to find parts anywhere it will be here.

Dan

Well, until you find a part, you could always put a hose clamp (or something similar) on the handle that you would slide over the trigger while you start. Once the saw starts you just slip it out of the way.

Can't you start the saw one-handed.:rock:

I did that a few times with my Mac 101 kart saw (no decomp). Had to stand on the bed of my truck or on a log (so the bar wouldn't hit the ground), hold the rear handle with my right hand, and yank on the pull start with my left hand. Tough to do and my shoulder was sore later that day.

Seriously, though, it's dangerous to do what I did and I don't do it anymore.

Chris B.

I can't start it without someone holding it while I pull the starter rope and hold the throttle with my other hand. The saw runs great, excellent compression, etc., and I would really like to get it fixed.

Welcome! Not to sound rude, but your saw should start without having to lock the throttle wide open while you pull it over. Sounds like you may need to rebuild and adjust your carburetor. Once set correctly, your saw should start at idle and idle smootly without issue.

Poulan c-v 5200

Chris, That is a good idea and I will try it. Will let you know how it works. Noticed your handle is FARMALL. That is what we had here on the farm, two super C's, one B, and later one 350. All gone now. If I ever stumble on a B that I can pick up for restoration, I would like to do that for the fun of it.
Archie tried to tell me how to send pics on this site, but I haven't figured it out yet. Later, Guero

I've only ever seen one B in my area, but it wasn't for sale. Personally, I have a Cub, H, and an M. I'm hoping my friend will one day cut loose his project 400 and send it my way. Has working T/A and IPTO, power steering, all the sheet metal is there. Clutch is about gone, but my friend drove it home 3 or 4 years ago (around 20 miles) anyway. He also has a Super M, C, Super C, Cub, 966 and a 1929 Industrial Model 20.

Anyhoo, good luck with the Poulan.

Chris B.

Back