Guess the Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone tell me a little more about the two "old Uns"? what cc approx? what age approx?

Unless we can pin down the model number, its hard to say. Al's right on the money with displacment sizes.

Sounds about right then. The orange one does start and run and has a nice deep tone to it. The yellow one, I haven't had running yet, problem is one of the dogs has broken off the flywheel and snapped the cast thread off with it. Pulls a little bit cluncky to say the least.

The flywheels,as well as many of the parts,are interchangeable among the 10 series saws.What a novel idea. :rolleyes:

an after thought

On the 10 series saws,there should be a small silver tag,in the air filter compartment,with a series of numbers on it.If you can find these numbers,and put them on here,I'll bet one of us will be able to ID those saws.

Sorry Al, Checked the orange one, no silver tag, no number. I'll check the other one tomorrow

If the handle is original..the 161 was the only one of that range with metal tank/handle, 162 had a plastic tank/handle and a white top, 262xp & 266xp orange top..all of the external parts are interchangable, including the carb manifold block..so take your choice!!
McCulloch 210, 210A or super210A..54cc noisy little rat

Yes Errol, the orange one is a noisy saw, but are you talking about this one or the yellow, badged, McCulloch?

ErrolC said:
If the handle is original..the 161 was the only one of that range with metal tank/handle, 162 had a plastic tank/handle and a white top, 262xp & 266xp orange top..all of the external parts are interchangable, including the carb manifold block..so take your choice!!
The 162 was the "fore-father" of a large family of Husky saws, including the 162, 61, 61Rancher, 66, 266se, 266xp, 268se, 268xp, 268 and 272xp. I have read that it also might have been a 166, but have seen no evidence that it was. I have never heard of the 161 before.....
Even all the versions of the Jred 670, 630 and 625 are closely related to this Husky "family".

Of these saws, I think the 61 and 268 still survive as current models on some markets.

The 262xp is not a part of this "family", but belongs to a smaller and lighter "family" that started out with the 154 (154, 254, 262xp, 254xp, 257 and 261, I think).

I think the white top version was the 61Rancher, but I could of course be wrong......

Last edited:
I think you got that right, i will see if I can not have some paper to bak that up too.

Here the saws with White covers could be Ranger (older) or Praktica (newer).
Regardless of model.

Saw this one on Ebay recently.

"PRACTICA 44. ass 29.179 3441 061617 "

Well, you've got me looking into this one now. I've checked through old parts lists for the 61 and judging by their front covers, the 61 had a white top from 78 to about 84.

Around 1984 was when they went to grey tops on the consumer saws. 40, 50, 61, etc. As you can see on the new ones, they then went to orange covers.

It was a dark grey. Definitely not black. There were several models that had the grey topcover. 40, 45, 50, 61, 66 come to mind immediately.

Brother...what a fire storm of imformation...heartening to see/here such lively and informative exchange..I can confirm from my own experience in using a 161 with orange top and ali tank/handle and I think ali pull start cover, about 1980, and moving to a 162 praktica (white top) in 82 then to a 262xp about 84...what struck me at the time was they all seemed identical (except the power..step up each time)

Latest posts

Back