Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're okay Brad. You always have quality posts, but this one took some cahoneys to post. Anyone who has done much cutting will have a story about a tree that fooled them. I had one that went 90 degrees on me this summer. It was a very dead and dry oak - almost perfectly balanced. I even used a wedge, but I cut a little too far in the hinge. What wood was left was brittle and snapped rather than bent. So the tree goes 90 degrees, and what do I do? Try to save the saw. Instinct I guess.

The tree came down okay with nothing damaged but my ego. I take a moment to try to learn fro this, and then comes the hard part - looking over at my friend who had been watching me. I'm waiting for the smart remark, but he just says I did the same thing last month.

The important thing is to learn from this, and you just helped a lot of us learn or re-learn.

Thanks

Thanks for the sober reminder gotta sy ouch.

You said it in your post you got hung up saving your saw. When a tree goes bad get the hell away from it then do the scoring tally. Shows guts letting others learn from this and hope for a speedy recovery.

By the way the aluminum skull buckets make a loud clang when branches hit em.

Brad, FWIW I don't care for the petzl climbing helmets. Others like them fine though and they are well made.

One thing I'll never get again is vent holes. I've had branches poke me through the holes which is really annoying.:laugh:

Pacific set up. I like these, kinda pricey, but your head is worth it.
Bailey's - Pacific Kevlar Shell Helmet

Peltor, complete system. Tried and true, very good value and they last a long time. We have issued these for years and have no plans to change.
Bailey's - Peltor Lumberjack Series Hardhat - Complete head, face & hearing protection

I'd like to try one of these, or the climber/lineman version. If you want vent holes these look like they would work ok. Price is good the they're feature rich.
Bailey's - Premium Rockman Lumberjack System

If I'm working on the ground I wear one like this with safety glasses and ear plugs.
Bailey's - Full Brim Aluminum Hard Hats

I've killed many a tree with this very set-up and had it save my life on two occasions. Once taking a iron hook directly to the top of my hard hat that had been thrown from the road above. Second time I had a widow maker come out of an old growth DF. It was about six inches in diameter and nearly thirty feet long, hit a branch just above me losing most of its energy and then nailing me on the head and shoulder. It twisted my helmet off my head sideways, knocking me to the ground really hard and then landing across my leg. My head was saved by the helmet, my leg was saved by a small dip in the ground. I was eighteen and in top physical shape and I still hurt for two years from the huge blow that branch dealt me. I keep the two helmets to remind me how quick it can end.

Any helmet you use is better than none and if you get one and don't like it try another one.

Mr. HE:cool:

Here is the helmet I use. Offers fantastic protection.

00e6f0a0.jpg

And has the optional flip up face sheild.

8ba5ecd0.jpg

It aint worth two poots for ludicrous speed though.... :(

Personally, I am a helmet guy. I have one for the bike, the snowboard, the cars(only on the track, as you look real silly driving to the store with one on), and a Husky helmet for the woodcutting. I know you want a chinstrap and this one doesn't have one, but it stays on unless I am hanging upside down. Your head may be shaped differently, but it works for me.

Nick

Brad, I commend you for the tailgate safety lesson. Took balls to post this when the easy thing would be simply to delete the vid and move on. Anyone who has cut and felled long enough has had close calls. You'll take lumps for this thread, even if they aren't posted, AS can be a ruthless place. Hopefully the benefit of the lesson will prove more valuable, especially to our newer sawyers out there.

When things go wrong, they go wrong in a hurry and many times from where you weren't expecting it. Be prepared physically and mentally, wear your PPE, identify your hazards, plan out your fell, identify and clear your escape route.......use it.

I'm very skull sensitive. I get crazy looks but I won't walk on a golf course without a hard hat. I won't walk through the woods on a windy day without one. I'll probaby wear one to bed after watching that video.

wow long thread, just skimmed through and here is my 2 cents. Glad you are ok, sometimes it pays to be thick headed, remember to get back on the bike.

Brad, thank you for posting that story and video. I have learned from this as I'm sure others have as well and I am glad you were not hurt any worse.

Dang Brad......I just saw this. Glad you made it out of the woods. Thanks for posting this too. I've had my share of close calls......enough to know that there is no such thing as too careful. I'm gonna get a good skull bucket. :laugh:

i just spent about 3 hours reading this thread.

Brad, thanks for caring enough about the rest of us to share this. there was another thread recently that made me think i should invest in PPE for myself, my wife, and my son who wants to cut with me. THIS thread has solidified in my mind that there will be no cutting until we all have that PPE, and for that i thank you.

as was stated earlier i called my kids in to watch the vid and explained as best i could what was going on, why it was wrong, and what should have been done instead.

you're a good guy Brad. thanks for all you do for us and i'm glad you're ok.

Have you looked at that Kask Super Plasma? It has "grills" over the vent holes.

I just did a bit of reading on it and it has some features that look really nice. The foam lining looks like it would feel really hot in the summer time, that is about the only down side I can think of. Maybe you could get one and after the swelling of your head goes down you could try it out and write a review for us. :D

Have you looked at that Kask Super Plasma? It has "grills" over the vent holes.
I just did a bit of reading on it and it has some features that look really nice. The foam lining looks like it would feel really hot in the summer time, that is about the only down side I can think of. Maybe you could get one and after the swelling of your head goes down you could try it out and write a review for us. :D

Yes, the foam might be a bit warmer than a suspension strap system but I think it will provide much better protection. Every motorsport or aviation helmet uses a crushable foam liner to absorb impact energy. The foam also allows the helmet to fit much closer to the head and be less bulky.

I found a couple more reviews if anybody is interested. One of these guys appears to have been involved in the U.S. evaluation of the redesign.

New Kask Plasma helmet

It is interesting to note that their plastic visor can be used along with the Peltor mesh screen if you want that combination. Or you can attach the Peltor screen directly to the helmet with a very minor mod to the screen.

-Eric

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back