Hacked again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The owners, admins, and techs are doing the best they can. We need to give them the credit they deserve.

I agree Gologit, but I wonder why they couldn't have informed us of their efforts and given us some reassurances.

It's been such an up and down situation that I doubt if updates on their efforts would be valid for any length of time. Darin has posted a few times letting us know what's going on but things have been changing so rapidly that it's hard to stay current. I think we can take it for granted that they're looking for a solution. As far as reassurances go...we're not children. We don't need to be coddled. We just want the site back.

I don't do Facebook but I've heard that there have been updates there.

That's because you're not having to load all of those images and banners. Also, if those objects aren't all local, the page has to go out to all of those other domains. That's just the way it is. I don't care for the banners either, but that's what makes this forum profitable. Otherwise, it wouldn't be here for us to enjoy.

That's because you're not having to load all of those images and banners. Also, if those objects aren't all local, the page has to go out to all of those other domains. That's just the way it is. I don't care for the banners either, but that's what makes this forum profitable. Otherwise, it wouldn't be here for us to enjoy.

Makes sense.

Was just enjoying the Speed for once!!! I live out in the woods and have chitty satellite internet...

Go to Facebook (if you have an account) and search for Arboristsite Fan Club. Darin has been posting updates there.

I Don't do Facebook, So thats out. Seems to me its just been members here, speculating (guessing) what they are doing, have done, and will do as far as the folks that run this great site. I wish they would post MORE info here, on THIS site, as to what they are doing. We can make posts here, I'm sure they can, as well as Facebook.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Right attitude - the wrong one is to give up, and let the hacker(s) win!

Must be the Norwegian part of me. I feel the same way. Don't let the bad people win!
This emoticon seems appropriate. :sword:

My computer works the same. I have never clicked on the Linkbucks thing. I've gotten out using Task Manager--the good old Control, Alternate, Delete.
That's about all I know to do.

Well said. We've all been spoiled for a long time with an efficient and trouble free site that doesn't cost us anything. We took it for granted that it would always be that way. Even with the current problems it's still the best resource site anywhere.

The owners, admins, and techs are doing the best they can. We need to give them the credit they deserve.

A lot of the chronic whiners and crybabies have moved on to other sites...and they use those sites as a platform to launch criticism of this site. We're better off without those people. We get new members signing up every day who want to contribute something meaningful. Let's concentrate on helping them and let the malcontents play their childish games somewhere else.
Lets look at the bright side,
Mabey the whiners,crybabies,and malcontents have moved to other sites.If 50 % of them never come back,then the hacking dosn't look so bad.
Mabey AS needs an annual hacking,or similar to rid it's self of the trash.Kind of like a virus purge.
Thomas

Text links can work, too, and there is a way to code them in, in place of an image. You can have both....

So both high speed large volume connections can work, as well as lower speed, limited megs/gigs per month connections.

Well this whining crybaby did find a couple other sites.One fills in spots this site doesn't cover as well and the other just seems to be more of a bash board type thing.Yeah the nscripts worked for me but it created problems for the rest of the family and re educating ironheads just isn't worth it(rule #1 pick your battles).Also tampering with the settings at work is a BIG no no.But I don't plan on leaving

... the downside of not having to load those banners/images is that maybe now those sponsors will move on ...

Also, you guys might want to consider using more "hardened" passwords for your online banking than you do for your forum passwords. Honestly, my password on here is a joke, but any password connected to money or one of my own servers is 10+ characters with mixed case, numbers and special characters. The hackers can have my weak forum password, but it won't do them any good on anything else I do.

that's exactly what i was going to say. my password for this sight could be quickly decoded with software available on the internet. for any site that needs to be secure i use a unique, hardened password and i change it frequently. still, i'm thinking about quitting my electronic banking service. it's a dangerous world out there and even clueless script-kiddies can access some powerful tools.

as for vbulletin, just google around for five minutes. "vbulletin hacks". this is not the only site being hacked. you can find howtos on the net. i suspect that often the system administrator is at fault for not keeping updated and leaving files that should only be there during installation on his server.

lastly, if you clicked on the link*ucks page, sorry you should have known better. again, google is your friend, but if you're running windows, you've got problems.

... the downside of not having to load those banners/images is that maybe now those sponsors will move on ...
Hopefully they're understanding of the issues that have been going on. As has already been said, Darin and Co certainly didn't ask for this and they're doing their best to get it back to where it was.

Just imagine what Darin has been going through over the past couple of weeks...

Last edited:
Blocking Linkbucks

I will repeat myself on yet another thread, but I can't help sharing! :laugh: pdqdl posted on the Oklahoma,AR,MO,... thread, page 1499 a very good fix which will block LinkBucks & allow your to re-enable Java scripts. :rock:

*** NOTE *** If your are denied permission to save the "host" file, reboot your computer & go into "Safe Mode" by pressing <F8> while booting up. Then you should not have any problems doing the edit & save to the "host" file unless your are on a computer system which has an actual administrator.

Again, Thanks to pdqdl!!!

Back