Had me sweating!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, the Big Blizzard of '06 has rolled through, and didn't amount to much here. Dropped about 10 inches of wet snow. I had a few trees leaning, but surprisingly, only lost one branch off an oak. Not a big branch at that.

However....

While up on the roof to fix the satellite dish, I notice a pine near the back of my house was leaning.... badly. Toward the house. The back of my property is pretty much wild forest - hasn't been touched in years. Pretty overgrown with lots of underbrush. (I plan to clear it out later this year.) This pine was about 10 feet from the house, and maybe 3 feet from another pine. There are plenty of other trees to provide shade back there. This resulted in this pine having branches almost entirely in one direction - toward the house. It was weighed down pretty heavily with snow.

I wasn't worried about it, as the snow was going to melt pretty soon, but I though I'd just take a closer look. Down on the ground, I found the tree had a 3 foot long crack, half an inch wide at the bottom, just below where the trunk split into two co-dominant stems. :jawdrop:

It was an old crack - no telling how long it's been that way. There was dried sap in it, and I could see where it had been rubbing as the tree moved. On the other side of the tree, there was a thin (1/4") crack running down from the co-dom crotch maybe 2 1/2 or 3 feet. THIS is where I started sweating! I also got my family out of the probable impact area!

I dropped it today. Got a rope up into a crotch and secured it to a couple of other trees, then got another rope into a crotch and put a come-along on it.

Long story, but both my saws are in the shop, so I rented from the local Stihl dealer. My second time in the store, and my last. They exude a "You are you interrupting me." attitude. To top it off, they rented me a saw with a dull chain! :angry2: Oh, and the stuff they are using for bar oil is about the consistency of honey in this weather. Straight Stihl bar oil. It wasn't doing much lubricating.

Oh, well. I got it done. It dropped where I wanted it, so all's well. I do have a tendency to leave too much holding wood, so I had to crank the come-along more than I should have. But I was worried about it going back on the house, so I erred on the side of caution.

I guess I got a start on next year's firewood!

yep, watch those edge trees, watch those defects. O and when you're clearing 'underbrush", I hope you know what you are cutting. I had a landscape architect-neighbor once proudly show me his newly "cleaned' woods. He cut down all his blueberries and viburnum to get that park-like look.

Idiot.

I know what you mean! Alas, the only thing I have that's even close to being worth keeping is some wild raspberry. It produces just enough of a fruit to be able to say, "Oh, that's a tiny raspberry." The rest is wild roses and various vines, and a lot of small, spindly saplings of several varieties.

I plan to keep one edge wild, where it adjoins the neighbor's forest. There's already a pathway of sorts that will be the dividing line. I do have a hickory tree that I plan to save, and a few oaks and a couple of cedars. But I want to get some clearance from the back of the house, and let a little sun in. Right now, I have a major mildew problem back there.

It will be interesting to buck that pine and see just how deep that crack went. I'll post some pics.

One city had one of their workers clear public property. After he had done most of it, I asked him if he was making sure to leave most redbuds. "What's a redbud?" he asked.

:dizzy:

Oh, well, what do you expect from gummit workers? I wish I had some redbuds on this property! I need some flowering trees here!

Got a spot picked out for something like a dogwood or cherry, once I get the dying scrub pines out of the way.

Latest posts

Back