Had some good luck this weekend!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I had a friend call me to tell me that a neighbor was looking for someone to cut up some oak that was in the way of building a new house.Went last week and took a look.boat loads of red and white oak, no trash wood to be seen anywhere.
Went over there on friday and started to cut up some nice rounds, and discovered I really should have thrown a few loops of sem chisel in the box, the wood was dirty after being pushed around by the cat.
While I was lamenting my lack of foresight, the guy who owned the property showed up.We chatted for a while, and then he asked if I would mind if he cut some as well.I told him that I dont loan out saws, but he pulled out a brand new little Stihl he just bought.Sure, go ahead!its your wood, your property, and your saw.

I then told him i was going to drop the trailer and head over to the saw shop a few miles away and get a few loops of semi chisel and would be back in an hour or so.

After i got back, there was my trailer almost loaded!I had figured that when he wanted to cut some wood, he meant for his use!

I slung the new loop on the husky, cut for 20 minutes, and then pulled that load to the house.Went back for a second load, and again the old guy startend fllinging wood into the trailer that he had cut while I was gone.After he loaded what he cut, he started puliing brush.

I figured that there had to be something going on that I didnt realize, this just doesnt happen!but after talking a bit over lunch, I realized that he just loved running that new saw!I even showed him my mingo marker, so all but the first load was nice even lengths!
I pulled 7 cords of wood to the house this weekend, all white and red oak, and didnt burn even a half a gallon of mix myself!
next weekend I am going to get the wife to run out a nice lunch for us, a small repay of a favor!

Last edited:
Wow...that is a cool story! You sure came into a good situation there. Sounds like the owner was happy about it too...getting to run a new saw and clear the area at the same time.

Good plan about lunch for next weekend!

You have good luck

That would sure be a change of pace . It sounds like you fell into a sweet deal with all that OAK. Maybe that bad luck streak is going to turn around after all. It is great that the home owner is loving running that saw and loading your trailer. Do you think there is a potential new AS. member to be found out of this:blob2:

And since you scored all that nice Oak " You Suck" goes out to you:laugh::laugh:

Beefie

Great to see that the dark clouds o'er you are parting. In the spirit of the moment, some Waylon and Jesse:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xWVT1tFWqUg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xWVT1tFWqUg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Top notch score!!! Did you buy a lottery ticket that night?

Nope, have never bought a lottery ticket in my life.figured, whats the point?

but, on the flip side, I figured a deal like this is a good enough lottery for me to win as it is.Figured that there has to be a least another 10 cords to come out of there, and someone to load and cut it for me!

Come to think of it, it was a lottery ticket weekend for me.When I stopped for gas, the gal that was behind the counter(she knows me real well)told me that someone had filled 2 five gallon gas cans and left them at the pump.She told me that she would consider it a real favor if I would haul them off,they had been sitting along side the station for most of the day.
2 new gas cans,10 gallons of fuel, and a boat load of oak.Life doesnt get much better than that.
:rock:

I had a friend call me to tell me that a neighbor was looking for someone to cut up some oak that was in the way of building a new house.Went last week and took a look.boat loads of red and white oak, no trash wood to be seen anywhere.
Went over there on friday and started to cut up some nice rounds, and discovered I really should have thrown a few loops of sem chisel in the box, the wood was dirty after being pushed around by the cat.
While I was lamenting my lack of foresight, the guy who owned the property showed up.We chatted for a while, and then he asked if I would mind if he cut some as well.I told him that I dont loan out saws, but he pulled out a brand new little Stihl he just bought.Sure, go ahead!its your wood, your property, and your saw.

I then told him i was going to drop the trailer and head over to the saw shop a few miles away and get a few loops of semi chisel and would be back in an hour or so.

After i got back, there was my trailer almost loaded!I had figured that when he wanted to cut some wood, he meant for his use!

I slung the new loop on the husky, cut for 20 minutes, and then pulled that load to the house.Went back for a second load, and again the old guy startend fllinging wood into the trailer that he had cut while I was gone.After he loaded what he cut, he started puliing brush.

I figured that there had to be something going on that I didnt realize, this just doesnt happen!but after talking a bit over lunch, I realized that he just loved running that new saw!I even showed him my mingo marker, so all but the first load was nice even lengths!
I pulled 7 cords of wood to the house this weekend, all white and red oak, and didnt burn even a half a gallon of mix myself!
next weekend I am going to get the wife to run out a nice lunch for us, a small repay of a favor!

Buy the guy something nice for his cutting pleasure. . . Not much to do, for saying you got hundreds of dollars in return.

Maybe a set of chaps from Labonville? Maybe a pack of files, and some chain? A couple wedges and a nice little ax?

I know I'd appreciate something like that.

Good score dude. :cheers:

Buy the guy something nice for his cutting pleasure. . . Not much to do, for saying you got hundreds of dollars in return.

Maybe a set of chaps from Labonville? Maybe a pack of files, and some chain? A couple wedges and a nice little ax?

I know I'd appreciate something like that.

Good score dude. :cheers:

Way ahead of you on that one. Sunday morning before I left I loaded up a small toolbox I had laying around with some files for his saw, an extra grease gun for the bar nose, a couple pairs of gloves, and a small med kit I had extra.
Spent a half an hour when I got there showing him how to sharpen his chain,of which he was very grateful. The local shop charges 8 bucks to sharpen chains, and he sure was tickled to find out you can sharpen them in the field with a file.

One of the nicest things that I enjoy about this guy he is eager to learn,stays out of the way when I am sawing, and doesnt ask for anything.It was truly an enjoyable experience considering the fact that most sawing excursions with newbies ends up getting on my nerves.Most of just dont understant that I am there to make chips fly, and i find constant breaks for a coke,idle **** chat, etc highly annoying when i have to shut the saw down to hear what they are saying.
I figger that if I take any longer than two hours to fill my 16ft trailer, then we arent working hard enough.

Way ahead of you on that one. Sunday morning before I left I loaded up a small toolbox I had laying around with some files for his saw, an extra grease gun for the bar nose, a couple pairs of gloves, and a small med kit I had extra.
Spent a half an hour when I got there showing him how to sharpen his chain,of which he was very grateful. The local shop charges 8 bucks to sharpen chains, and he sure was tickled to find out you can sharpen them in the field with a file.

One of the nicest things that I enjoy about this guy he is eager to learn,stays out of the way when I am sawing, and doesnt ask for anything.It was truly an enjoyable experience considering the fact that most sawing excursions with newbies ends up getting on my nerves.Most of just dont understant that I am there to make chips fly, and i find constant breaks for a coke,idle **** chat, etc highly annoying when i have to shut the saw down to hear what they are saying.
I figger that if I take any longer than two hours to fill my 16ft trailer, then we arent working hard enough.

:cheers: :cheers:

nice to see good folks still exsist.

Avalancer,you always seemed like my kind of folk.i i hope to meet you someday.

maybe in October when i come down.

Avalancer,you always seemed like my kind of folk.i i hope to meet you someday.

maybe in October when i come down.

If you ever make it to our neck of the woods, give me a shout! Always glad to meet another fellow AS member!
Bring your saw!

Just wait until you get this wood hauled out and he asks you for a favor....first it will be just one small thing, and the next thing you know he will be calling you his....well you know the rest of the story. In all honesty, you deserve it and good score.

Back