Had to share this: worse 361 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Long story short, I had 3 Stihl 361 needing fixing at work. We had finished our job early and I therefore decided to have my crew fix them (I have a Stihl training and 2 of my employees do a lot of car and motorcycle mechanics). 1 of the 361's had a cracked crankcase but good P&C. The second one had a dead piston. The third one had the exhaust threads ripped out on the cylinder. I therefore decided to use the first one to fix the two others. I then proceeded showing how to repair the saws. In the meantime, my boss came by and decided to take me away to visit a future job. When I came back, both saws were"fixed". First one started and worked fine. Second one started but made a horrible banging sound. I told him to stop straight away. Once my crew was gone, I took the chainsaw apart: He had forgotten the piston bearing! Most surprising thing: that chainsaw did start!

I highly recommend your clowns stop doing any kind of repairs, especially on motorcycles. By the way it is a "wrist-pin" bearing.

Last edited:
If that ape forgot to install the gudgeon pin's needle bearing and you ran the motor without it then it might have damaged the gudgeon/wrist pin and/or the connecting rod end. So, even if you put the bearing back you might encounter further damage in the long term. I would check that the pin and connecting rod are intact.

By the way it is a "wrist-pin" bearing.

Not all countries use the same terminology:) Isna is from the French Alps according to his profile. In Australia a lot of mechanics call the same thing the "Gudgeon pin" and bearing or the "little end bearing". Stihl call the pin a "Piston Pin" so it is logical that the bearing could be referred to as a "Piston Bearing" in Europe.

Regards

Phil

Long story short, I had 3 Stihl 361 needing fixing at work. We had finished our job early and I therefore decided to have my crew fix them (I have a Stihl training and 2 of my employees do a lot of car and motorcycle mechanics). 1 of the 361's had a cracked crankcase but good P&C. The second one had a dead piston. The third one had the exhaust threads ripped out on the cylinder. I therefore decided to use the first one to fix the two others. I then proceeded showing how to repair the saws. In the meantime, my boss came by and decided to take me away to visit a future job. When I came back, both saws were"fixed". First one started and worked fine. Second one started but made a horrible banging sound. I told him to stop straight away. Once my crew was gone, I took the chainsaw apart: He had forgotten the piston bearing! Most surprising thing: that chainsaw did start!

Sounds like a good candidate for the "worst" price to me! :msp_biggrin:

Patron, je pense que la tronçonneuse est foutu....pourtant je n'ai rien fait de mal....:rolleyes2:

Is this the correct translation:)
"Boss, I think the saw is screwed .... yet I have done nothing wrong"
From Google translator.

Better than Bings'
"Boss, I think that the chainsaw is damn.... yet I not have anything wrong"

Regards

Phil

I highly recommend your clowns stop doing any kind of repairs, especially on motorcycles. By the way it is a "wrist-pin" bearing.

Geez, Simon, really? You knew EXACTLY what he was talking about--the description was unambiguous--and you're going to fault the guy because he doesn't use the exact nomenclature as you? Even Husky and Stihl don't call every part by the identical name. IPL's from the same company will sometimes not use the exact same terminology. A nice display of hubris there.

Last edited:
Geez, Simon, really? You knew EXACTLY what he was talking about--the description was unambiguous--and you're going to fault the guy because he doesn't use the exact nomenclature as you? Even Husky and Stihl don't call every part by the identical name. IPL's from the same company will sometimes not use the exact same terminology. A nice display of hubris there.
I can't be nice ALL the time. Throw me a frikken bewn!

Latest posts

Back