hand filing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handy device

You can make one out of a stainless steel hinge, very simply. Sometimes its really nice to be able to sharpen a chain that's not on a chainsaw.

tree machine you were givin the low down out of a lawn chair ? Now i want a pic of that action funny ger err done funny .... sound like you are bout ready to climb one legged ... dont do it ...

I really reach for the most basic, boiled-down simple approach, don't I? Thanks, Dan. A little strip of rubber along the hinge joint forces the jaw open. The bolts keep the jaws from opening too far. They only need to open and close a half a millimeter.

Hey Dark, I'm a lawn chair commentator at the moment, but my physical therapist thinks I could possibly be in the footlock competition at TCI Expo, which is encouraging, but possibly not very smart. Dude with a broken leg smokin everyone on vertical ascent. It would shrink a lot of egos. I'm not sure I want to bring that.

what i used to do is mount a bar in a vise with the chain looped down and hang 2 10lb weights on the chain with a bungee cord.

Anybody use that Sharpforce file guide? It has a flat file for the raker and the round one for the cutter on one assembly. Ya do one side then take the files out and turn em around to do the other. You can find them on the Husky website.

love simplicity

kf_tree said:
what i used to do is mount a bar in a vise with the chain looped down and hang 2 10lb weights on the chain with a bungee cord.
I think that's a really good idea. I wonder about mounting a shackle, a fat pin and a 8-pin drive sprocket (envision a pulley), and hang the weight from that.

That could be a cool, simple device, you throw an old bar in a vise and you are very, very set up to sharpen chains properly, on or off the saw. That's why it's very good to have a vise mounted to your chipper or truck. You are a high-tech chain shop with low-tech amenities.

As long as the chain is in a bar, it will not matter how much weight is pulling it down, the chain can still move sideways and roll over in the bar groove. I think you need to clamp it before you can get good consistency and be able to put file pressure to it.

Agreed. The chain need to be kept from moving at all, forward-backward, or side to side. This gives you complete control of your file, with no variables of chain movement.

nice hinge filing jig!

I'm making one soon I run into a hinge that long

Ask for a Piano hinge if you go looking. I've got a 4'er out in the shop, stainless steel, I don't remember what job it was bought for. We used about a 100' of the stainless Piano hinges.

If you have to drill stainless steel, know that it's hard, hard stuff. I dulled a cobalt bit putting the two holes through.

The cam levers on Gypo's jig is the way to go to squeeze the jaws together.

I'm surprised these are not more popular. They're very handy. Gypo's is the first I've ever seen.

From the pictures it looks pretty small, but in real life it's at least 20" long which makes it good for stoning cutters as well. It's at Jokers now so I will be able to show KF tree how it's made and what I sniped him out of.
I better **** though or he might just get to Jokers first.
LOL
John

Latest posts

Back