Hand saw for larger work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobbler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We all like our chainsaws but if you had to cut trees without one what would you use? I figure a good Silky pruning saw can work branches and stems up to 6 inches. What one person hand saw would you use for stems over that size up to 12 or 15 inches? Who sells larger hand saws? Thanks, Cobbler

I'll take my chainsaw, but maybe a small bucksaw?:lifter: better eat those wheaties though.

I would say the best handsaws PERIOD are Silky.

They make saws that are used in carpentry, Arboriculture, etc etc

Look on their site for the full list of saws they offer.

You'll be surprised.

The Ibuki will cut most wood that big without wearing your arm out.

I'm with you, l3eave that chainsaw on the ground until/umless you need it.;)

A nice little (18-20") swede-saw (sp), light, cheap, replacable blades. Love to try a Silky having heard so much good things about them.

:cheers:

get one of these bad boys from FANNO Sawworks, wicked sharp teeth, STIFF blade that does'nt flex like a wet noodle.

fi_1700.jpg

i made mine more aggressive in the kerf by very slightly "setting" the teeth outwards by .005 degrees, with a sawtooth set tool.

spray the blade liberally witrh Silicone Spray before use, it will never jam up in the cut or get gunked up with pitch. cuts slightly faster too from less friction.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

i just ordered one from wesspur.com. it is a 17 inch with an extra thick blade.
there are a bunch of saws there to look at.

bestest ree guards

talcott

Back