Hand Splitting can be painful!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawoodcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got hooked up with about two and a half cords of red and white oak the other day. Had to buck it and take it home to split. God, did I get beat up!!
First dropped about an 80 pound round that happened to pinch my ring fingernail between it and another round. Bruised up the whole thing, hurt like hell to play golf the next day. Second, splitting another round and caught my pinky between another round the monstermaul steel handle. Third, splitting another round and a piece came and landed on my shin. That one was probably the worst, have what looks like a golf ball sticking out of my shin, just above the ankle.

Been hand splitting for a long time, this is the worst two day stretch I have ever had. Better than telling chainsaw injury stories though I guess!!! Be carefull out there.

C

I love to split by hand also.

Hope you have lots of pain medicine in 12oz bottles. :cheers: Here you deserver more. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Get well soon!

First dropped about an 80 pound round that happened to pinch my ring fingernail between it and another round. Bruised up the whole thing, hurt like hell to play golf the next day. Second, splitting another round and caught my pinky between another round the monstermaul steel handle. Third, splitting another round and a piece came and landed on my shin. That one was probably the worst, have what looks like a golf ball sticking out of my shin, just above the ankle.

C

Given your string of bad luck, I'd make a point of wearing a steel-reinforced cod piece next time you get out there!! :)

Sorry to hear that you had a particularly painful day splitting wood, however cuttin, haulin', buckin', splittin' and stackin' all provide ample opportunity to ding oneself a little even when you are careful, wear your PPG and avoid a serious accident. I don't think I've ever worked a full day around wood without having something to remember it by.

My wife is always asking me, how I got that bruise, or cut, or lump, or whatever. I tell her that I don't remember, didn't really feel it at the time, but sure do now.

I don't bruise never maybe a little red but never a bruise. I can
touch my wife just playing around and she bruises and many other
people I see bruise too. Tell everyone at the golf course how hard and dangerous tree work is, so; they will quit freaking out on the price to climb
and remove their 100 dead pines.

I use my chaps when working around the wood pile. My shins are scar tissue from ankle to knee from fire and scrapes take forever to heal. Nursing one now that has been on-going for a month. Happened because I was just splitting "a few pieces" so didnt' bother putting on the chaps.

Hit the same spot today loading locust, fortunately I did have the chaps on and doesn't seem to have added to the problem.

I checked out shin gaurds at a big box store the other day. Couldn't find anything that would work.

Harry K

Back