Hand tools for fixing your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK, I'm sure everyone has their favorite brand of tools for fixing things. I recently picked up a OTC compression tester, a Mityvac pressure/vac pump, a sonic cleaner and looking around for a soda blaster. I want to get a bit deeper into working on a 2 cycle lawn mower plus a couple/three saws that I plan to restore this spring.

However when looking around for a decent set of extra long (6") torx bit set and allen bit set I keep running into the same sets, the security set (pic below) and for the price I am pretty much betting they aren't going to hold up that well? who knows maybe I am wrong here.

I'm not looking for a set of snap-on/Matco etc and guessing over a hundred buck at that for those, just a decent set and I haven't been able to locate them yet. I honestly don't expect them to hold up to much use in an impact but I have a Klein switch drive screwdriver that I would like to use them in and maybe use a stubby ratchet to break a bolt free every now and then that is really stuck in there. I am more worried about them rounding off a torx or allen bolt than breaking the bit since getting a bolt out that has been mauled would be a nightmare.

About the only way I am able to find a set without the security tip and figuring they would hold up to an impact driver is with them having a 1/4 or 3/8 socket drive and I could always put an adapter drive in the impact if it came to that in order to get a decent set that wouldn't strip a bolt head out, we are talking a small impact driver for removing screws/bolts for speeding things up not rattling a lug nut on.

Anyone found a decent set of these that they haven't had to worry about it destroying a bolt head? The torx, Allen, phillips and straight would be all I cared about in a set and push come to shove the torx and allen only set would work fine.
bit.jpg

I have some long Irwin T27 Torx bits I use and they have been good. My performance tool torx screwdrivers have been good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with those cheap bits is they'll work just fine when new but will wear out quite literally soon and at that point will become ill-fitting with a highly increased chance of stripping heads or even committing ritual suicide.

I know brands are different from the US, but brands I have experience with and I know will last a very long time are Gedore, Stahlwille and Hozan. I've heard good things about Teng Tools being good quality for the money but lately their prices have gone into Gedore territory and at that point it's not worth the bother.

Wihi serve me well. T handle Torx set and inpact Torx bits in various lengths. 1/4" set from Genius on feebay, hex to qtr adapter and 12V Milwaukee 1/4 hex impact
80c66f2f8ec92833b9c54179c3f001f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Have had the Wila T27 and assortment of 4, 5 & 5.5 plus two ball end drivers for years with no issues. Just got a set if screwdriver and they ate top quality...I like them better than the Snap On set I have.
I'm with you pioneerguy600.....they are winners. They offer a lot more tools than I imagined!!! I got mine from HL Supply!!

I can't believe the torque/twist and abuse a green Wiha T27 can take & still remain dead straight & perfectly tipped. There not that expensive compared to others but well worth every cent. Ya can't skimp on bits & screwdrivers it'll end up costing you more. Every chainsaw guy should own the Wiha chainsaw repair kit, its the bomb.

Hmmmm, for some unknown reason Wiha tools are coming to mind. :D.

I really like the Power bit 6 option wiha.jpg since I can use them with the Klein switch drive klein-switch-drive.jpg the Powerbuilt drive socket/bit driver ratchet.jpg and the Dewalt impact driver dewalt.jpg .

For me it just seems the best route, a bit more than I had hoped to spend on them but in the end a quality set that will last me a life time. Thanks for the link to those HarleyT and to everyone for their suggestions.

What seems to be the most used sizes in torx?

Back