Handy Log Handling Stuff you find in the ground!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have not done much cutting or milling lately as I seem to be doing more landscaping.

When doing my recent project I pulled a ton of old metal out of the ground. (See Bottom Left picture)

Many old crosscut saw blades and one handy dandy little item.

attachment.php

I cleaned it up and gave it a coat of hammered tremclad

attachment.php

Picked out a piece of birch cut 2 years ago and threw it on the lathe.
Hopefully it is dry enough not to split!

attachment.php

And now I have a log carrier for my favorite price... GRATIS!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Those Old Cross Cut Blades cleaned up and Painted make good Signs, over the gate , Door. on Mail Box Pole and in the shop

Hmmm good Idea, I kept 2 of them but threw away a few more.

Speaking of signs, I don't have a picture but I dug up an old sign that says

"Anglo American Telegrams accepted here".

About 150 feet in front of the old cabin at the wood lot is where the old train station used to be before they pulled the railway off the island, and I assume is where the sign came from.

Here is a picture from the university archives taken in 1898 again about 150 feet from the area I cleared in the picture.

attachment.php

Edit: This picture faces the other way and the train station was on other side of road behind the poles and down the little hill.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Excellent find and nice handle too!

I presume that with a pair of these and 4 people, a fair hefty log could be moved around?

My intention is to use it to grab onto logs that I can drag behind me to get them out of the bush. Nothing too big but should be easier than carrying them.

You can buy them and they are called a two man log lifter I built one this spring and it works great for two men or on smaller logs with just one man.
Her is a pic of me lifting a cherry log onto a block to get it high enough to mill with less back strain.

You can buy them and they are called a two man log lifter I built one this spring and it works great for two men or on smaller logs with just one man.
Her is a pic of me lifting a cherry log onto a block to get it high enough to mill with less back strain.

Cooel! I gotta make me one - even if most of the logs I mill are a touch larger. S-i-K, Do you think your setup is better than the pair of hooks on a ring type as shown at the start of this thread?

Cool find on the log tongs there mon!! And a nice job on the restoration (handle & paint), they are a handy tool for lugging stuff around :clap: Old ice tongs work well for moving things too when alone, definite back savers and larger/tougher versions are great for dragging logs outta tight spots when used with a chain and hooks and some sort of machine, saves choking them off, bear in mind though that people have been grievously injured by them in the past when they've let go and slung back so anyone using such a set up must make sure to set the hooks with an axe or maul etc..
I love rummaging around old dumps and in my youth would accompany a family friend on bottle digs, great way to spend a day. He had acquired a map from an old train engineer of the old rail spurs and logging camps on Vancouver Island and we'd go and find the old camp dumps, it was pretty lucrative even back in the early '70's and we ended up with quite the bottle collection, most have long since been sold to other collectors but I've managed to hang onto a couple or three :)
That sign could be a major collectible, you might be pleasantly surprised if you hunt around on some of the 'vintage signs' collector sites imho.

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Nope. ya don't pick the log up off of the ground. You drag it.

Both methods are practical. With two people you can "skid" a good size log, and with 4 people (and 2 sets of the hooks) you can lift a good size log off the ground fairly easily.

Back