hanging a block with minimal tree damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllinoisJim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Another thread about tree damage from a block anchor has got me wondering how to hang a block in a tree for minimal damage. If I just use a loopie or something similar won't the rope cut into the bark? If I am taking the trees down it doesn't matter but a lot of times I will be using a tree I want to keep. For most of the work the load will be around 1000 lbs max.

I can use a winch tree saver strap at ground level. I suppose I could use the same thing up in the tree. What other options are there?

I guess you can tell from all the replies there aren't to many options for this situation. I would say wide straps like you mentioned is the best so far.

Thanks for the replies. Wasn't sure if lack of response was because there was no good answer or just a dumb question. :)

Somewhere I saw mention of using heavy canvas under the rope to help protect the tree. Seems like it would protect more against friction but not much against simple concentrated pressure of rope which is my issue. I considered a scrap of carpet. Have seen 2 x 4s with notches for the cable used on zip line anchors to spread the load and think those would work ok but it requires a number of them. All these are hard to work with when up a tree with other equipment. Strap/large rope is much easier to work with.

You could consider a cambium saver with steel rings. It's not as convenient as a block because you have to run the end of the rope through both rings. On the other hand, you won't need to worry about the block slamming into the trunk and doing damage that way either. The two steel rings will have an increased tendency to break your rope also, compared to a regular block.

They are pretty sturdy, they won't choke down on the tree, and they probably won't cut into the cambium. They will require some sort of crotch to hang from, but since you aren't doing a removal, there should be somplace suitable to hang from.

3-4 inch pump hose and run the sling through it. Check with your local fire department and rental center to see if they have any old stuff laying around.

Back