happy tree freakin birthday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
.... about two weeks ago i get a call and go look at this seriously decayed split trunk huge hackberry no crane acess or bucket will do it ...its the tree thats about to fully crush a nice families house ... anyhow the neighbor who still owns the tree will not help with the cost at all nor will he respond to several days of phone calls ... since hes showing major negligence and the tree is so nasty and dangerous ... i call the news up to have a look at this tree problem.......... turns out they like it and so does the local newspaper they show up and i climb the freaktree and cable it with bull ropes together while they film and i shake and sweat ...i make channel 9 top story free advertising lovin it ........ i have my friend a really good climber and certified arborist there to bascially help with risk acessment and help me with ropes ...i set up a huge line and pullies and a come along ..i pull the tree together moving it about 8 inches up [ thats alot for a tree this size] then i decend and get ready to take the tree down the next day im scared as ???? .....
now i get a phone call from the customer saying they would like to put off cutting the tree for a day so maybe [maybe the neighbor will help with the cost ] a day turns into a week and more ,,,, the after math of hurricane katrina moves in blowing trees down everywhere and i shake at night thinking about my ropes and set up.............. will it hold ????
.. we do a weeks storm work ,good money, and then last night i get the call ...... do the tree she says ... no sleep again last night .... this morning we get there and i get my first look at the beast,,,, after almost 2 weeks .... my bull ropes have held ..... im shaking anyhow ...throwline up and im in the tree about 15 feet up,,,, i notice that somwhow ? some how,,,,,, despite no total faliure the tree has began to open up........ where the crack was last week that i hand jammed in is now big enough to put my whole ole leg in .... dang ,,,,,,,,, getting to the rope / winch system it looks fine .how did this tree open .....wind duh.... but it must be turning to one side since the split has deffinatly opened alot .....
everyone says come down ... dont try it..... i go up stupidly .....and use my already in place winch to just see how muct tension is on it .....not much.... and last time i tensioned it i gave the 4 ton come along plus the 2 pullyies full throttle ..... all i could pull...... ???? whats going on,,,, is the other sideof the tree falling toward the broken side ? ..... i tension the set up ..... groundies see it rising an inch per pull ..... 10 pulls and i stop ..... now do i come down ???????and find a really ,really huge crane 40 ton wouldnt work from so far out ....or ????????? climb ,,,do my job :alien:
i decide i can at least climb the broken half of the tree allthough if it starts falling i take the hugest fall out of it in my life ...plus i deffinat;y cant use my laynerd then id be attached to the falling side ..... sweating shaking and fearing life,,,,,,,, i cut a tiny limb then another ,,,,,,,,,soon 400 pounds are on the ground .... time to get mean no other way i ten in to a static line about 20 feet long and use a munter hitch i figuure if the tree falls the rope will burn through the biner letting go after 20 feet and slow my decent ...close to the ground ..i have to cut some big wood a huge 18 inch dia. limb that if falls wrong will take out the awning of the house or worse ...i dont care its my life im scared for. this cut will move the beast ....maybe move it enough to cause failure .... i cut it ....it swings and the 346xp screams..... the limb swings as the saw finishes the cut at the perfect moment...... the limb flies about 20 feet away form the house the beast wavers and moves and groans and cracks ..... im shakin from my stance goin for a ride ...... endorphins flow ......fight or flight .. i shake and my groundies turn thier heads one mentions my knees are knockin ,,,,and so they are ,,,,im so ???? scared .... finally .... finally ......i get the top out and know its safe to complete.........
on the ground after, i feel like im on cloud 9 times 10 sweet,,,,, everything feels doable ,,,,,, little life problems seem trival ,,,,,im so high off the rush of the dangerous monster removal and how its actually over really over...... hard to believe ...... i go down the hill and wander into a huge grove of bamboo everything looks surreal....
............[[ this is one fortieth birthday ill never forget]]....... ;)

and to make it even better [[[[later its still the same day we went water soloing on our nearby limestone crag i finally climbed "the prodject " after 3 months work ... 5 13 about... and then saki and sushi for dinner and a quick solo up the nearest bridge ..... whats next ?..... my wifee has cheese cake .and hehe ..... but ???? im 40 now and birthday usually suc ...but this time ..... i guess the sayin may be true ' it just gets better' ... yo master is this true ????????? this is the first good rememorable birth day ive ever had dark...

Last edited:
A new peak in your climbing career. On the next monster you'll prbably have less adrenaline. A new point of reference.

Happy 40th. You're entering your golden years of climbing. 40 seems old to young guys, but it's the time when your strength and skills and resources and experience are at their highest... well, for you and me anyway :cool:

Tree Machine said:
A new peak in your climbing career. On the next monster you'll prbably have less adrenaline. A new point of reference.

Happy 40th. You're entering your golden years of climbing. 40 seems old to young guys, but it's the time when your strength and skills and resources and experience are at their highest... well, for you and me anyway :cool:

happy birthday!!!
my 40s were my best decade... of course, i am now in my 50s and playing in Hell's Kitchen (what's that about???)

so proud of you tackling the monster... and winning!!!

HAPPY BIRTH DAY TO YOU CALEDONIAN...... COOL WE ARE ONE DAY APART today ive been in bed mostly ...looked at the chipper checked on storm damage but mostly turned off the phone ....... hey did you know a 346 xp can turn 16000 rpm's .... w/ modest mod. also i have a mean mean 266 ... i gues u could say xp but that would be a under statment ......thanx and have a good sept 3rd

Back