Harbor freight band saw mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtpoor4x4

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has tried one? I'm new to making boards, and need advise on a affordable band saw mill. I own a tree service business and have a endless supply of wood. My end goal is to make wood to side my house/trim Windows. It would probably be a more affordable to have the wood milled by a mill, but I want the gratification of doing from live tree to siding/trim. Are there other affordable mill options besides Alaskan

A guy on Forestry Forums bought one, I read his thread. Seems like there was a lot to finish and improve before he could use his HF mill.

I bought the entry level Hudson HFE21 from Brown City Sales in Ohio and I'm happy with the quality and followup. Seems like it was around $2800 but it's an American built product with American parts and American customer service when if ever needed. Only problem is I wish it was bigger, sometimes hard to find the "just right" logs that will fit and still get the product that you're looking for 20160521_104520.jpg

Some one here did have one, and they did have to tweak it a little, but I think they did like it. One thing I think they had to replace was the threaded blocks that raise and lower the head. It came with brass blocks and they wore out quick. They replaced them with steel that they got a hardware store, and they worked well. Hopefully they are still around and can jump in. I may have miss remembered something, Joe.

I owned one for several years. I actually bought it using the 25% coupon while it was onsale. I think it was just over $1400 shipped. For what it was I loved that little mill. Set up was not too bad took about 1/2 day. Couple adjustments and a little learning curve and that mill would cut perfect boards. It is a small unit but never felt under powered. The rail system is simple and allows you to cut out to 9'6" max extentions can be made easily or you can order replacement tracks from the owners manual and just bolt them on. I ended up purchasing a Hudson 360 with very few hours for 5k. The track system.is far superior but Hudson has some serious design flaws with their wheel adjustments. Would I buy the hf mill again, yup I would. Would I keep looking on c list for a used mill, yup I would. Used mills are not easy to find but a couple pop up each month

I bought the entry level Hudson HFE21 from Brown City Sales in Ohio and I'm happy with the quality and followup. Seems like it was around $2800 but it's an American built product with American parts and American customer service when if ever needed. Only problem is I wish it was bigger, sometimes hard to find the "just right" logs that will fit and still get the product that you're looking

Thanks for the affordable American option, didn't know that it was out there, and Ohio isn't a bad drive

Hey dirt poor, where are you located.

I'll be selling my small mill here in a couple weeks. It's a timberking 1200 I bought about 6 months ago. Replaced the band guide bearings on it when I bought it, I'm waiting on new pillow block bearings now and once they're replaced and I realign everything she'll be up for sale.

There's nothing wrong with the mill, I just bought an lt40 hydraulic and can't justify keeping this one. I'm replacing the bearings so that when I sell it I won't have anyone saying they blew a bearing and acting like I somehow knew it would happen.

It's got a trailering kit on it ( not timberking ) with good tires and a bed extension that takes it to doing a 16'6" log. If you look up the 1220 it's about the same thing as that.

I'll do 3600 on it once I get the bearings done and I have 2-3 new blades and 7-8 that need a sharpening that go with it.

My zip is 37743 to give you the mill location.

What is the max height of cut with the "20 inch cut HF mill". (How high will blade lift above bed of mill?) I've never seen any statement of this spec. Only thing I've read is it will cut "logs" up to 20 inches. This is inconsistent with how logs are cut into cants. I'm assuming that the inverted "v" shaped covering above the blade interferes with and restricts the board thickness to width ratio (clearance above the blade). I don't fully understand why they've intentionally created this false limitation. Although I doubt you would normally saw 20" wide boards, you might want at least mill a few that are 12x12 or even 12x16 to store up for resaw after drying or as beams. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

I just checked out the website. It does say 20" log and 20" board. I was certain they used to say one number for the log size and it was bigger than the cut size, because the round log stuck up. Then when you squared it into a cant, it was smaller. Sorry, no help on that one, Joe.

Latest posts

Back