Harbor Freight Chain Grinder On Sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harber Freight Chain Grinder On Sale

Computeruser mentioned the Sthil bemch mount sharpener for $150.00. I have checked with 3 or 4 dealers in my area and they all quote me $214.00. I would buy one for $150.00, but $214.00 is a little steep for me. Tom

Paul61 said:
coveredinsap said:
Anytime you create sparks you are ruining the hardness of whatever you are grinding. In other words, these grinding gizmos are not only shortening the life of the chain by removing more material then necessary, they are also ruining the hardness of the teeth and making the chain dull quicker.

Unbelievable, ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess the die makers who sharpen the progressive dies (they're carbide, if this means anything to you) that stamp the chain teeth are in fact actually dulling them with the surface grinder (it make's sparks btw)!! I gotta forward this one to my Die Maker buddies working @ Blount, Canada...........(They manufacture miles of Oregon chain per day), they'll put this beauty up on the wall!
Well, so much for your knowledge of basic metalurgy Sappy, stick with the framing jobs buddy, you don't have to deal with Rockwell "C" scale there huh?

Forward it to whoever you want dude. I've also got a forge and do my own metal work, and the simple fact is that if you are heating steel enough to make sparks, then you're changing the temper of the steel, which means that you're changing the hardness. Your buddy knows that already, though (or he should).

coveredinsap said:
Anytime you create sparks you are ruining the hardness of whatever you are grinding. In other words, these grinding gizmos are not only shortening the life of the chain by removing more material then necessary, they are also ruining the hardness of the teeth and making the chain dull quicker.

In essence, these types of grinders (all of them) are garbage if you care about your chains.

Sap how ya doing ole buddy. I see that sense of humor is still doing good there. Now lay back on the couch and let me doctor on ya some about chain grinders. Now I know you've probaly never opened up a saw, replaced a crank or jug and cylinder and thats ok, most homeowners don't. Thats ok but remember too most homeowners don't pretend to be saw buffs either and I don't understand why you keep talking like you know so much about chainsaws when its obvious you don't. You gotta quit that Sap, just makes no sense to keep getting wacked over the head on a subject thats really not your field to begin with. Its best to say nothing and learn than to assume something and spit it out and get clobbered, such as you with chainsaws. Now listen up for a second. Chain grinders aren't garbage, in fact they are great if used properly. They do not remove anymore metal than what you set it at. You can set it to merely shine the chain and remove nothing if you want so its non-sense to say they remove too much metal, they remove only what the operator sets it at, thats a fact. Taking temper out the chain once again is pure non-sense. If done correctly the machine will not take any temper out of the chain at all, once again its up to the operator to use it right. Those blue teeth everyone screams about are due to a operator burning the chain with the grinder , not the grinder alone. The grinder only does what the operator makes it do. If you don't know how to operate one then yes you can ruin a chain in a heartbeat. If you do know how to use one the grinder is a great tool, beats hand filing by a mile. If you don't believe me Sap send me all your chains, I know you only got a few, and I'll do them for ya for free and send them back to you. Why would I do that, simple. To show you what a good grinding job looks like and cuts like and to show you too not everyone just talks saws, some actually know saws, catching my drift there ole buddy. Send me them chains Sap ands let a pro show ya how its done ole buddy and don't worry I won't charge you a penny, why, guess, yup you got it, cause your ma frend...................

Hey Thall you got a long leash for that Sap dawg of yours. Can't let that dawg wander off far by himself. Get his paws all in his mouth everytime. Good luck Thall with your pup :censored: Sap.

Cut4fun said:
Hey Thall you got a long leash for that Sap dawg of yours. Can't let that dawg wander off far by himself. Get his paws all in his mouth everytime. Good luck Thall with your pup :censored: Sap.

I don't know Cut, I just don't know. Don't understand my buddy Sap, seems he would rather climb a tree 50 feet and fight than to stand on the ground and just get along. Ever seen anything like it Cut??

computeruser said:
A few years ago I was looking at the Stihl grinder. A local shop quoted me something in the neighborhood of $600.

Your ranking of sharpening costs looks about right. If you aren't planning on doing tons of chains, the manual bench mount sharpener jig thing that Stihl sells seems like the best deal at $150. Plus, because you're using standard round files with this setup you get a really good edge, much prettier than a grinder with the standard pink bonded wheels.

That said, $300 for the Tecomec/SpeedSharp/Oregon 511A grinder is well worth it for most folks who do any real quantity of sharpening. http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/1758?mv_session_id=j4PkUqze&product_sku=45320 It is quick, easy, and durable. Charge your buddies and neighbors a few dollars per chain to sharpen theirs and you'll soon have it paid for.

I have that Stihl Bench mount guide, slicker than **** too!

tomdcoker said:
Computeruser mentioned the Sthil bemch mount sharpener for $150.00. I have checked with 3 or 4 dealers in my area and they all quote me $214.00. I would buy one for $150.00, but $214.00 is a little steep for me. Tom

I paid $150+ tax for mine.

Forward it to whoever you want dude. I've also got a forge and do my own metal work, and the simple fact is that if you are heating steel enough to make sparks, then you're changing the temper of the steel, which means that you're changing the hardness. Your buddy knows that already, though (or he should).[/QUOTE]

NOPE.
Wrong again, as usual.
I guess you use a file to sharpen the carbide inserts on your skill saw blades, cause makin sparks will screw them............... right?
Sappy, you're gettin your primitive Blacksmithing ventures confused with the real world die making & metalurgy stuff.
Go back and do somemore readin cause we all know you ain't got any real experience.
Thall.....right on with the operator stuff but, we're all just wastin key strokes tryin to set this chump straight. :deadhorse:

Oh...... to any real smitties out there.......damm fine trade.

TTV it does rather well, just remember "You get what you pay for!" and use it accordingly. No it does not do square, get you're checkbook out!!!

SAP: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: DUDE!!!!!!!!! I have been a machinist way too long to even fathom what the :censored: you ARE TRYING TO SAY!!!! I have tried to be nice but you are so out of you're league here it's pathetic!!!!!! Ever seen a surface grinder SAP??? I didn't think so!!!!! Ever cut Titanium SAP??? I didn't think so!!!! You will make sparks!!! It is a fact, it is inevitable!!! It is the only way, period!!!!! Yes if you get stupid it will change the temper, but more than likely you will grenade the grinding wheel first!!!! Now SAP, I am being nice as of yet, but you DON'T want me to have to move in across the street from you, DO YOU???? I guarantee you DON'T!!!! Now sit back, be quite, and let the big boys talk a bit!!!
Andy

TwoTurboVolvos said:
Exactly how well does this grinder from H.F. perform? Does it do square ground?
Ron

No, it doesn't do square grind and you get what you pay for. If you're very very careful, you can get a reasonable grind. It "bends" so you need watch every cutter and make eye-hand adjustments. My 2C - spend a few hundred $$ and get a real grinder that will last a lifetime. Around here it costs $10 per chain to sharpen - a decent grinder can be had for $350 or so. 35 chains (o.k., so you have wheels, kool grind, electricity etc) isn't a long haul... and it's paid for.

THALL10326 said:
I don't know Cut, I just don't know. Don't understand my buddy Sap, seems he would rather climb a tree 50 feet and fight than to stand on the ground and just get along. Ever seen anything like it Cut??

You have him climbing now? Boy, do I have some trees to send him up!:ices_rofl:
Did I mess the point again? and again?

BTW, where is sap? I have the :popcorn: and the beer, but...

Lakeside53 said:
You have him climbing now? Boy, do I have some trees to send him up!:ices_rofl:
Did I mess the point again? and again?

BTW, where is sap? I have the :popcorn: and the beer, but...
Sap got a time out.

Ever cut Titanium SAP??? I didn't think so!!!! You will make sparks!!! It is a fact, it is inevitable!!! It is the only way, period!!!!!

I was told by a colleague who did some research on the topic about 20 years ago that titanium machines like butter if it is in a liquid nitrogen bath.

Hey Andy & Big Woody,

here's one for ya.....from my Machinist days.

View attachment 34024

Circa 1978...........I think?

Chain sprocket off a Rancher 55 :ices_rofl:

Fresh off Sappy's forge, as you can see by the blueing, the "temper" is gone!! :hmm3grin2orange:

coveredinsap said:

In essence, these types of grinders (all of them) are garbage if you care about your chains.

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAaaaa, Shat AaP!

And I say that Speaking as a Tool & Die Maker.:laugh:

Chain grinders must have been invented by the evil empire of stihl. They just want you to buy more chains.

Personally I don't use a grinder or handfile or even buy new ones. I find that if you just re-krome them in the fish tank then nobody's the wiser and they look like brand new.

It's just a saw chain for christ's sake!:dizzy: :hmm3grin2orange: :bowdown:

Latest posts

Back