Hard Hat w/ Ear Protection & Face Shield

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh A

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm looking for a hard hat with built in ear protection and a "mesh" face shield. Now I know and have found a lot of these online but my issue is the hard hat. I work in the oilfield and Im use to a full wrap around visor (keeps drilling fluid out of your clothes) so that's the issue. I can't find any online with the full visor. The other reason I want a full visor is my family has a history of skin cancer and it helps keep the sun off my neck (as if it ain't red enough :rolleyes2:). Any suggestions where to look?

Josh

Take a look at the Stihl and Husqvarna lids with screen and ears.

Both come with a Neck flap to keep rain, sun, chips, sap, and bird crap off the neck.

I can vouch for the Husqvarna lid system. If you like the ratchet suspension in your work lid, most will cross over and fit.

OP Response

Yeah I saw both of those and I've done that (rag out the back of the hard hat) before at work but I don't particularly like the flap hanging on my neck. I've seen the hard hat like I wear on Sherrills (Forrester's) but it doesn't have the ear protection option. I can get the slide on / wrap around mesh face shields at work but would prefer it was built in.

In other words...still looking. Thanks for the suggestion.

Josh

I use husky hard hats with big mesh screen and hearing protectors, every day basis, and i think those are best that ive used. Stihl migh have better ones, who knows but so is the price higher as well.

The hard hats with plastic screens suck a lot, they scratch, and collect mist / moist and wet leaves etc better than anything.

Mesh vs Plastic Face Masks

Agreed on the plastic face masks. I absolutely hate them. I honestly believe they cause more injuries in the oilfield then they prevent. Our worse problem is we have to wear them power washing (which we do A LOT!) and within 5 seconds you can't see a d$&! thing! I'm convinced Ill cut my damn foot off with a 5000+ psi washer one day because I couldn't see what I was doing.

We were getting to wear the mesh screens for a while (other tan power washing) but then some HSE idiot said a shard of metal could go through it (note we still wear safety glasses). So to prevent that little infinitesimal shard hazard we trade vision hahaha.

Josh

I use the husky rig and it is quite comfortable. First set of muffs I ever tried that didn't pinch my eyeglasses frames, and they block high pitched but allow low pitched, which is pretty spiffy. Mesh screen allows good vision and breathes. Hard hat part seems comfortable enough.

MSA (formerly 'Mine Safety Appliances') is one of the larger manufacturers of PPE for general industry. They have a 'forestry' kit that works with their conventional hard hats and may have options for their full brim helmets as well.

Sold through safety supply houses and places like Grainger, not through forestry outlets,. Check out their web site and contact their suppot folks if you don't see what you are looking for.

Philbert

proper ppe for the job

consider if can find
[video=youtube;qoewM_jCzOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoewM_jCzOk[/video]

This set up is what I want to find for tree work!
However, if you're doing water blasting, stick with the full mask, even if you're sight is impeded. A fellow at our plant was carrying the line mold circular cutter in 1 hand n the foot activator in other without disconnecting the 20000PSI supply (they were working 1 man short) n accidentally activated the foot pedal. It sliced through his neck like butter, yet missed the artery. His face shield may have saved something. He was in a hospital for a week & has been outta work now for almost a month & is lucky to have survived! Be careful!:msp_thumbup:

The Husqvarna forestry hard hat is about the best I have worn. More durable and cheaper than Stihl, the ear muffs are more comfortable, they give better noise protection, and the clamping mechanism works much better. Even the hard hat is better; I have had several of the Stihl hats shatter when some idiot working for me got mad and threw it on the ground. Husqy hats will not shatter, and they have a real nice rain gutter to keep water from running down your neck.

Back