Hard Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camojeep

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is this what they call spalted ? Tree blowed over 2 years ago im just getting around to milling it? Its got blues , purples and black coloring.

I would call that spalted.

I like your bottle jack for your log dog set up.

Hey anyone, do you have to leave wood to sit for a few years to get it spalted when you slice it?

Is it worth more this way?

Hey anyone, do you have to leave wood to sit for a few years to get it spalted when you slice it?

Bury it in a warm, moist place for a time and check it...

Pretty much depends on your market....

This board has very minor spalting(above), it would have been awesome in my market in about another year or two.

I like your mill, how long you had it?

Scott B

Spalting is caused by fungi, and works as the log decays. If you check ebay under Spalted Maple, you will see better pics and prices. Wood turners use small pieces for turning pens and such, and knife makers use them for handles. So, a nicely spalted piece can be worth the effort.

Some of the small pieces for turning pens sell for about $4 each. Be very carefull milling, planing, and sanding spalted wood. A good friends brother was a custom cabinet maker by trade, and worked with a lot of spalted wood in general, and he caught something from the fungus. By the time they found out what it was, he only lived a couple months, Joe.

This board has very minor spalting(above), it would have been awesome in my market in about another year or two.

I like your mill, how long you had it?

Scott B

I got another log laying back there i could leave for another year? I made the mill a couple years ago . Im getting all the bugs worked out . Its working pretty good these days.

I have seen a lot of spalted wood pictures and posts and seen a lot of bowls and things made out of it, but I've never heard anyone actually say the word. In my head I pronounce it spaul-ted. Last year I sold some walnut to a cabinet maker and he told me it is pronounced
Splay-ted
How do you pronounce it ?

If you cover your Log that you want spalted in Cow crap/horse crap. It will splat alot faster. And look very pretty.

I have seen a lot of spalted wood pictures and posts and seen a lot of bowls and things made out of it, but I've never heard anyone actually say the word. In my head I pronounce it spaul-ted. Last year I sold some walnut to a cabinet maker and he told me it is pronounced
Splay-ted
How do you pronounce it ?

Your pronunciation is correct. The cabinetmaker is wrong.

It is like all those who pronounce Nuclear,,,as nucular. Nucular is simply wrong, and it doesn't matter that a certain ex-president always pronounced it incorrectly either. Haha!
Bob

Latest posts

Back