Hard starting generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK the wind blew. Fortunately it has been several months since I last needed the generator. I had carefully filled it with gas and added Stabil. So I roll it out, turned it on, close the choke and gave the rope a yank, another, another,..... It never fired once. It was dark, cold, and windy. So I go in the garage and grab the can of acetone and slosh a little on the air cleaner. It starts right up, and I can plug the house in to it. (Yes, I do have an idiot resistant connection.)

OK, eventually the power comes back on. I refill the generator, add more Stabil, and shove it back under the work bench. I have had it about 4 years, but never run it much. I can't see it needing a tune up yet. It has a 10 HP B&S Genpower 305. OHV engine. So what do I do to make sure next time I don't have more trouble? I have never had good luck with small engines. I realize letting things set around leads to problems. I was hoping the Stabil would help the problem. Since the acetone did the trick, I am guessing the gas wasn't feeding. Does it have a float valve to stick? Would giving the carb a knock next time work?

After daylight, I took the dog for a walk. There was a truck parked down the block and 2 guys looking at an 8'' tree leaning on the power lines at about a 45 degree angle. The lines run up the back lot lines and you couldn't get a bucket truck within 100' On the far side of the block where the line that feeds that line comes off, I could see where it was disconnected and a jumper between the high voltage and ground.

Later there was a big orange truck and a crew there. One guy up in a convenient adjacent larger tree, and about 3 groundies, plus another guy sitting in a pickup truck. I watched the climber for a while as he ran some ropes between the leaner and the bigger tree. He then lower himself a ways, the groundies pulled him over to the leaner and he worked his way up it and worked at tying himself in. I might of watched more, but it was lunch time.

I had wondered to where a guy from Brighthouse was working on a large box. He was finishing up what he was doing. They have repeater in the box, and 3 big lead acid batteries for back up power. I had had cable and was able to post here while the power was still off.

I always suggest to turn the gas valve off on anything that is gonna sit for awhile. I dont no why but for some reason they dont draw fuel like they should after sitting. I useally pull the plug ad a dab of gas and letter eat. but yea a float problem is always possible, typically stuck open and runs rich or dumps fuel also. also see a lot of them with low oil indicator not operating properly,

There are two (at least) schools of thought on laying up engines. One says to empty the fuel tank and run the carburetor dry, and if it has a float bowl drain, drain out what may be left. The other is the one you use, fill it with stabilized fuel and lay it up that way. Some also recommend pouring a teaspoon of motor oil into the spark plug hole and turn it over a few times to spread the oil over the cylinder walls and rings. For my generator, I just shut it down and leave it with the fuel that's left in it, which since it comes from my gas cans, always has Stabil in it. However, the float valve tends to leak a little and the gas just drains out anyway (it doesn't have a fuel shutoff valve). I also put a little gas in it every fall and start it to make sure it's in shape, and run it with a small electrical load on it until it warms up well - probably about 15 minutes, again leaving any gas that's left to leak out on its own. In the more than 15 years since I bought it new, it has only failed to start on one occasion, usually on the first or second pull, and that was in the fall test. It needed a carburetor rebuild - I did find some crud in the bottom of the float bowl that time and I suppose some of that was taken up into the orifices. It looked like is was below the point from which it would leak so I guess it was the residue from evaporation of what didn't leak out. On my riding mowers and tractor, I leave the stabilized fuel in it over the winter, and have never had a problem come spring. So, I guess ya pays yer money and takes yer cherce. I think the big thing is to start it and run it a little every once in awhile.

Could be. I know that was the first time for months I ran it. Maybe I need to keep a log, date and how long I ran it. Although the power was off almost 18 hours, I only ran the generator about 6-7. Useful for maintaince.

After I was done with my installation, I read about people running the exhaust out the wall and keeping the generator in the garage. That would make routine start ups easier. Of course, I guess I could run it a little with the garage door open.

When the power goes off, you don't know if it will be 5 minutes or 3 months like they are saying for those poor people in Kentucky. Likely Ohio getting hammered the other day didn't help things on the South side of the river.

It could be a bad idea, perhaps a very bad idea to run your generator in the garage if your garage is attached. Even with the garage door wide open the wind direction could shift to push the exhaust inward and you could fill the house with carbon monoxide with disastrous results. A couple in a neighboring fire district here died from carbon monoxide poisoning during the aftermath of our December ice storm with the generator in the garage. I don't know the details or if their garage door was open or not, but the fumes entered the house from the garage through the door into their kitchen and killed them. The same has happened with fumes going though cellar windows into the garage, or simply through normal cracks and normal leakage paths through the walls. Generators can safely be run only in detached occupied buildings, or on open patios or porches, or out on the driveway or lawn. Don't take a chance with this. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and I don't want to have to respond to this kind of call like my comrades in the next district did.

Good point I guess. While over the years I have tightened up much of my house, I haven't done much to the wall between the garage and the house. With so much of the plumbing out there, I am better off letting some heat leak out there.

Lab, I had this generator for almost 22 years. I run it the first of every month and put a load on it. I suggest, when you pay the mortgage, fire that puppy up and let it run. I think that not running a machine is worse than over working one.

Since you don't run it all that often and yet it's that important to your well being, draining the fuel and running the carb dry is how i would do it. I do this with my stump grinder and lawn mowers and other small engines and thats been the trick so far. Stabil is only going to work for so long, regardless of what they claim. The fuel turns to a varnishy liquid and gums up everything if you leave the fuel in for too long. Just fill up the tank next time you use it like it were new and then drain when done.:cheers:

Lab, I had this generator for almost 22 years. I run it the first of every month and put a load on it. I suggest, when you pay the mortgage, fire that puppy up and let it run. I think that not running a machine is worse than over working one.

No mortgage, but I can think up some other reminder. In 2000, my wife inherited some money. The stock market then was about where it was last summer. We paid off the mortgage. So far, nobody says it was a dumb idea.

What likely happened was that the fuel system dried on its own from sitting. Pulling with the rope doesn't spin the motor fast enough for the fuel pump to get primed back up very well. The shot of fluid you gave it was enough to make it run for probably 10 sec. More than enough time to prime the fuel system and run like a champ.

I try to start all the engines I care about monthly. Good luck!

I had bad luck with Stabil so I switched to Seafoam. Works better for me, But I have friends that have gone from Seafoam to Stabil. Also, fill with gas that does not contain ethanol. It seems to have a longer shelf life.

give this a try

I leave the power switch to off and pull the cord oh, 10 times or so before switching it on. This will draw some fuel up and hopefully start the engine. It's what I had to do in the old days to get my lawn mower running.

I do agree, however, that starting your generator monthly is a good idea. Now all you have to do is remember to do it. I remember about 1/2 the time.:greenchainsaw:

OK the wind blew. Fortunately it has been several months since I last needed the generator. I had carefully filled it with gas and added Stabil. So I roll it out, turned it on, close the choke and gave the rope a yank, another, another,..... It never fired once. It was dark, cold, and windy. So I go in the garage and grab the can of acetone and slosh a little on the air cleaner. It starts right up, and I can plug the house in to it. (Yes, I do have an idiot resistant connection.)

OK, eventually the power comes back on. I refill the generator, add more Stabil, and shove it back under the work bench. I have had it about 4 years, but never run it much. I can't see it needing a tune up yet. It has a 10 HP B&S Genpower 305. OHV engine. So what do I do to make sure next time I don't have more trouble? I have never had good luck with small engines. I realize letting things set around leads to problems. I was hoping the Stabil would help the problem. Since the acetone did the trick, I am guessing the gas wasn't feeding. Does it have a float valve to stick? Would giving the carb a knock next time work?

After daylight, I took the dog for a walk. There was a truck parked down the block and 2 guys looking at an 8'' tree leaning on the power lines at about a 45 degree angle. The lines run up the back lot lines and you couldn't get a bucket truck within 100' On the far side of the block where the line that feeds that line comes off, I could see where it was disconnected and a jumper between the high voltage and ground.

Later there was a big orange truck and a crew there. One guy up in a convenient adjacent larger tree, and about 3 groundies, plus another guy sitting in a pickup truck. I watched the climber for a while as he ran some ropes between the leaner and the bigger tree. He then lower himself a ways, the groundies pulled him over to the leaner and he worked his way up it and worked at tying himself in. I might of watched more, but it was lunch time.

I had wondered to where a guy from Brighthouse was working on a large box. He was finishing up what he was doing. They have repeater in the box, and 3 big lead acid batteries for back up power. I had had cable and was able to post here while the power was still off.

Next time get 100LL AV gasoline from a small local airport. The stuff stores very long and should cure your fuel problems with your stand by generator.

Couple things-

1. You can up the ratio of stabil to gas - that allows longer storage.
2. I've never done it but I've mused the idea of disconnecting the gas line from the carb and spraying wd40 in the line to fill the carb bowl.

-br

1. You can up the ratio of stabil to gas - that allows longer storage.
2. I've never done it but I've mused the idea of disconnecting the gas line from the carb and spraying wd40 in the line to fill the carb bowl.

-br

WD40 will gum up over time. It does make a good starter fluid though.

Im lazy and didnt read every post but if it wasnt said already Ill bet the carb has water in the float bowl. Drain and remove float bowl and clean. Condensation and ethanol blend will put moisture in gas and it will settle in the bowl. :cheers:

Hmmm.

Have never seen wd gum up under any conditions.
Evaporate some; leave light film behind, but never turn to gum.
-br

Back