Hard Times Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spent the last week up in my home state of MN, reminding me what a real Winter felt like! Anyway, I ran into a buddy who is going through a rough patch financially.He is in the building trades, and as recently as a year ago had five guys working for him.He is now having trouble keeping he and his kids fed and housed on the work he is finding.He asked me if I could use a skidsteer (who couldn't?), so we went to take a look.It turned out to be a Case 1845B, with a diesel and about 3200 hrs.It started, ran and lifted great.I have a Kubota tractor with a bucket and grapple, so I don't really need one, but then he said he wanted $2k for it.I don't know a lot about used skid prices, but I spent that much on a trailer for one last year! He then took me to his tool shed to show me a 9k winch he also wanted to sell.Well, the winch was behind a Honda generator, which had a ms361 sitting on it, and, long story made short, I was writing a check out for $2700( his price, not mine)....for all of the above.He told me not to feel bad, as if not me it would be the next guy.I have thrown a ton of work his way for 15 years, but I still have mixed feelings about the deal.He said the chain wouldn't stay on the 361's bar, so he went out and bought a 310 :dizzy:.It turned out to be missing the clutch washer and e clip ($3.00)Runs/Cuts just like everyone says it does, and is, by far, my newest saw.The generator had bad gas and needed a new plug, but runs like new.The winch has a fairlead and mounts in a receiver.With this huge streak of luck,I think I will finally buy the Kansas Klipper tree shear I have lusted after to mount on the skid and have a pasture making machine.I left the skid up there and probably won't risk getting it until Spring.I know this story will tick some guys off, as it probably would me, too.I worry that a lot of guys are going to be in his shoes before this is all over.

lucky!!!!!!!!!!! i never find deals like this and when they do come around i dont have the dough.

Great deal, kinda sad though. Made me take a look around at what I've got and I sure wouldn't want to go there.
God bless us every one...I pray that this country gets turned back on the right track again soon, or there will be barn sales on every corner.

my friend is a great father and knows the really valuable things are not the things that are bought and sold.

Knowing the lateness of the hour, your friend might have gotten a better deal than is currently realized. With the economy in free fall, you probably helped him a great deal.

Blessings in Christ Yeshua

Sell the generator and give him the money.

Sound like he could use it.

I think you did right by him. He named his price and you didn't try to get it for less. He knows what they are selling for there. I'd rep you for not taking advantage of him but it says I gotta spread it around a little more first.

Nice score BTW.

As hard as it can be to see friends come on hard times, you helped him out -- and got some deals for yourself. He relaizes his family's needs dictated he sell some stuff, which i commend him for doing. Most people would have too much pride to admit they are having hard times and refuse to sell stuff.
My guess would be this guy will be back, hopefully the economy where he is (& many of are) will pick up so we ALL have work and can provide for our families.
At least he knows his stuff in his a friends hands and will be used, enjoyed & maintained properly...just as he would. Good for you.

When I read your post these lines from Kipling came to mind with reference to your friend.

'Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;'

I'd say he will be alright ('ahight in southern Illinoian')

Not only are we entering a deep freeze of a winter not seen for many years, we are also sliding along the very thin ice of a major depression. It has effected a lot of folks here(un-employment just under 20%).

As far as the "deal" goes, your friend named his price and you paid it. You want to do more, but his pride most likely will not allow it(mine wouldn't). I would have done the same, and if I still had the stuff when things turn around, I would sell them back to him at the same price less any repairs I had to make.

It sucks when things pan out this way, but at least he could sell to a bud than some of the other sharks out there.

RD

Coog,

The guy was in a spot and named his price.
No harm done, and ya helped him out a bit.

Leaving the Skidsteer for a bit is a touch of class.

Maybe he will find some work and be able to save you a trip come spring.;)
I hope so.

Folks around here have been hit real hard as well, and the rumored "Recovery" we keep hearing about, must be in somebody elses country cuz it damn sure just keeps getting worse.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Way to go. If you are going to take advantage of someone on hard times it might as well be a friend rather than a stranger.

By the way, there is always a way to rationalize taking advantage of someone. The easiest being: If I didn't get it someone else would have anyway.

Well, I'm a bit troubled by this.In no way was I out to take advantage of anybody.Hell, I would have loaned him the money.I think he reached the point where the extra stuff that he had bought in the good times was weighing him down.So much the better that he could use these things as a bank account when times got hard.Market value is absolute.I am shopping for a 2006 crewcab duramax.Asking prices are all over the board, but selling prices are not; I would love to keep these sellers from the disappointment of selling at a loss, but I am only one part of the equation.I ,too, will be a seller one day, and I had better not over-pay when I plunk my money down.

When I read your post these lines from Kipling came to mind with reference to your friend.

'Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;'

I'd say he will be alright ('ahight in southern Illinoian')

And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

Latest posts

Back