My local Stihl dealer made it easy for me to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
from the Husky dealer who's 75 miles away. I went in looking for Zama carb adjust tool, which they didn't have, so I looked at saws instead (and I'm in the market for a 60-70cc saw). After the guy fumbled the weights of the 311 and 391 (disagreeing with me that they are identical; even says so on the tag), I looked at the 362 and two 441's he had on the floor. I'm really liking the weight and balance of the 362 with 20" bar and I don't mind the price (yeah, it's DSRP). But then he warns me that it only has a 90 day warranty and I just say it should be a year and two with the oil (I bought a pro trimmer with the oil from him last year). Long story short, his position is that all pro saws are 90 days only. I showed him in the catalog that warranty is based on use and not product, and I can get a two year on the 441, but he got all hissy about it and said, "I'm not gonna argue with you, and we close at noon today anyway" (it was closing time). I just said we would sort it out when I come back with cash (which I won't). Yeah, he could be having a bad day but he brought it up and kept going. It is rare that any salesman knows more about product than I do because I don't go in until I have exhausted all research, but I'm not a jerk about it; I just like to know what I'm getting and I want a salesman to know what he's selling me.

Yesterday, I just happened to find that Husky dealer and he was really cool. Full line Husky with just about every model of saw, trimmer, and mower (riders and zero turn) on the floor. His prices are just slightly under list and he has three 372XPs in stock, which is what I'll probably go with. I'm also in the market for a new mower next year and he spent more time with me on that than the saws. I'm not even worried about warranty that much after being on this site for a week; it's the principle.

Smells fishy to me. You should just buy a Viking lawn mower. Perhaps a pair of genuine Lawngrips would also be appropriate.

There mowers are the same as Poulan, Poulan Pro, Craftsman, and others.

Just Orange and $1,000 more.

Actually, they are the exact same mower at the same price, just a different color. The other difference is you can't find Craftsman mowers anymore. They all out of stock. I go to Sears Hometown and they have Husky mowers. You can find Husky mowers from a full line dealer, which is nice. Craftsman tools are in Lowe's or HD now.

Same price as the Poulans?

I haven't looked at their full line, but pretty darn close; maybe a couple hundred dollars. One reference I see at Sears/HD is a 18.5 horse 42" for 1500; the equivalent Husky is $1700. PP is all stamped decks also; Husky has high end riders going all the way up to 54" welded decks with high backs, armrests, locking diff, etc. You can get a lot more with Husky if you want it.

Yeah, I have been out of the game for a while. Did Lowes just buy the Craftsman name?

I'm internet searching; Stanley/Black & Decker owns Craftsman now. Sold at Lowes, Ace, and other places. Sad. We have a Sears Hometown here that I try to support whenever I can. I buy appliances there, but they are short on tools and parts. They will order just about anything.

Stanley black and decker bought the craftsman name Sears has a licensing agreement for it for something like 5 years. Honestly I'm glad that sb&d saved craftsman from oblivion. And better news is that sb&d is opening a new hand tool factory in texas so soon you will see made in usa craftsman hand tools again.

Back