Hard to pull start MS250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pair of MS250 saws here myself for a bit, I sold them pretty quick after getting tired of sore knuckles from starting them. I've owned just about every saw Stihl has made over the years and the MS250 is by far the hardest to pull start.
There was just a long thread about another guy who had the same issues with one, who also sold it.
I suppose there's a few out there who don't mind how hard they pull but why deal with it when there are other saws out there.

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with an Echo, I don't think they're as good as a pro model Stihl, but they aren't far off.
I looked at all the Stihl models and they do not make another saw comparable to the MS250 in displacement or weight. The MS201 is the next best thing but at more than double the cost.
I was pretty much looking for the same thing and ended up with a pair of Echo saws, one with a 16" bar, and one with a 20" bar for less than the cost of one pro model Stihl.
For someone who only cuts firewood and does some chainsaw milling here and there, I only needed the smaller saws for occasional use. I keep one original 090 and a Chinese knockoff 066 for my bigger cutting and just started on a Chinese 088 kit saw to have as a back up. (I bought the 'kit' saw from someone who bought it online and when they got it, they realized they were in over their heads and sold it cheap on CL, so I got a complete 088 'kit' saw for cheap. They were asking $200, I ended up getting it for $50 after it went unsold on CL for two months).

Some guys love to tear their hand and shoulder off while trying to start a chain saw. They figure that automatically means the saw has more compression and power. Maybe that's why so many saws like the 250 discussed here and the monster 064 that I used to own sold so well. You just have to find the right buyer who likes to brag that he can pull start anything.

My Echo CS-670 is about like that. I finally gave up and sold my Stihl 064 that was a monster to start cold. The new ownrr swears that his "new" 064 is the strongest saw that he owns, and that includes a pair of MS660's.

The only 'Pro' saws I see stocked here in any quantity are the various top handle saws, a couple variations of he MS261, and the MS362 and a ton of MS170/171/181/211/and 271 Farm Boss models. Plus a few MS250 models. The biggest displays were for the battery powered model and the Farm Boss.
Somehow it seems that the 271 has displaced the 291 as the go too saw for general use.
They seem to sell a ton of the MS271 saws.
Years ago it was the 029 that was king of the hill in most stores. I own two that I bought myself, along with several 036P and 044 saws.
What I lack was a decent light saw for clean up work around the yard. I can't see dragging out the 029 or the 036 to cut up a down limb or two when I could have something light and nimble instead.

I wonder if the timing is off from the factory causing it to kick back. There’s no way in hell you break a friggen D handle without some kind of mechanical issue.

is it the same with the ignition off?

if a 261 c-m is too close to your other saw and more saw than you want, a really nice back of the seat truck saw is EA4300/Dolmar 421 with 16" bar.

Reliable, super easy to start, decent weight, quality built saw that has more balls than the ms250.

Latest posts

Back