Husqvarna 281XP. Is it normal for these to be very hard to pull?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There's no issue with it being locked up etc, all is good, but man is this thing hard to pull over. Every time I pull start it, my hand and shoulder are sore. Sometimes the saw actually comes up with the pull rope if I happen to catch it right at the tightest part of the compression stroke.

Are these all this hard to pull start?

I've pull started my 50 horse outboard before and that's also hard but this thing's right up there with that.

They can be a real bear to haul over, but I'd check the recoil pulley. My brother's 281 was a major pain to pull over, and it turned out the pulley was splitting and the rope would partially bind on itself and make it feel locked up. Of course, even stock with a lightly scored piston it's still pushing 185 psi.

They can be a real bear to haul over, but I'd check the recoil pulley. My brother's 281 was a major pain to pull over, and it turned out the pulley was splitting and the rope would partially bind on itself and make it feel locked up. Of course, even stock with a lightly scored piston it's still pushing 185 psi.
Pretty sure this things got that exact problem with the pulley. I pulled the pulley before posting this last night since it was binding on rewind and found that the pulley was wider on one side. I was thinking warpage and just heated the plastic with a torch and re-bent it flat. But based on what you mention, I'll bet it is binding from a split. I ordered a new pulley. That's probably the first problem. We all agree here (my sons and I) that the 50 horse Force outboard pulls easier than this 81cc saw. So that must be the issue.

I have a 298 let it set a few years and will test your arm muscles. I did do a compression test about off the charts 180 one pull. I never did anything to this saw no gas lines carburetor rebuild just ran it. Old saws will wear you out running them. New saws have way more comfort built in. For new saws to last like the 2 series did not sure? I got a 262 272 and 298 very dependable. My 372 is 2013 I always grab it very smooth big stuff get the 394 out. I found 60 cc saws I have no interest in to big to small.

Latest posts

Back