Hard to start.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIZROID

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS 361 that I have had for a year. I am very pleased with the power and performance. The problem is starting. It takes 2-3 pulls on the choke and then at least 6 more pulls to start. Once it is running you have to very gently apply the throttle until it warms up or it will cut off. I am using good quality gas 89-91 octane and Stihl oil miixed 50:1. The air filter is cleaned after every use. The chain isn't too tight. It was difficult to start the day I purchased it and the Stihl dealer told me that it would improve after the break-in period. I took it to the local "Stihl guru" (not) and he adjusted it and said that he thought that is was easier to start. There was no improvement. I expect a little more out of such a technologically advanced saw that cost $589. I have a 14y.o. Husky 51 that always starts on the second pull.

I have the exact same problem! I'm going back to my dealer some day soon and will let you know if they solve the problem.

Don't use the compression release on those. In my experience, it releases too much compression, and will not start. Seen so many flooded that way.

Latest posts

Back