Hardy H2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at picking up a Hardy H2 for a price I can’t turn down. Question is did all the H2 models come with a domestic hot water heater exchanger. Or did you have to add this on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at picking up a Hardy H2 for a price I can’t turn down. Question is did all the H2 models come with a domestic hot water heater exchanger. Or did you have to add this on?

Wish I could help. When I purchased mine 26 years ago the heat exchanger for hot water was standard.
I will speak highly of the quality and reliability of the Hardy though.

Yeah this is an older unit. I was trying to find info based off the serial number but I can’t find much.

Domestic Hot Water (DHW) is standard. It is on its own loop. There is a coil of copper tubing that lays on top of the tank. H2 has a solenoid that uses this water to fill the water tank when some evaporates off. Your DHW does not commingle with the water tank...it just picks up heat from it.

Ok the way I read it is the hot water circulation has its own loop and inlet and the DHW has its on inlet and loop for the exchanger?

Kinda... lol. There are four connections. The two upper-most connections are the DHW loop. You will notice the feed from your water source (upper right) has a cross over to the connection JUST below it. That is the taco pump going into your heat exchanger. That crossover is controlled by a solenoid that will feed your 100 gallon tank when your level drops. The lowest connection at the VERY bottom-left is your return from the heat exchanger.

You can run an H2 without the DHW connected. Your only shortcoming would be you would have to bucket fill your tank via the evaporation stack when your level drops. (and you wouldn't be heating your DHW with your Hardy H2 LOL)

Ok lol sorry for the confusion. Some friends were telling me that the H2 was optional for the DHW because the new Hardy’s it is an add on option.

Ok thanks so the top two are cold water in and hot out for the DHW and the bottom is the cold in hot out for the house heat loop

Ok lol sorry for the confusion. Some friends were telling me that the H2 was optional for the DHW because the new Hardy’s it is an add on option.

The hardy h3s do not include the Dhw coil. But the 2s have them. I have an h2 that’s isn’t setup at my new house and I think I am going to heat my domestic with a sidearm rather than the coil. Main reason is I don’t want to buy 2 line sets. I will just run an uninsulated piece of poly domestic to feed the auto fill feature.

Ok thanks so the top two are cold water in and hot out for the DHW and the bottom is the cold in hot out for the house heat loop

Correct. Obviously the line off the Taco pump is the hot water out to the heat exchanger. The return is at the very bottom left.

What’s the best way to pressure test these loops. And what pressure do you think I should put on them?

Well going to look at the hardy today, if I buy this I am wondering if I can run this into my existing fuel oil furnace. I was thinking run the Hardy’s supply into the return of the oil furnace and the oil furnace supply into the Hardy’s return. So I will maintain temp inside the oil burners storage because it runs my DHW also. I will just need to figure out how to wire the OWB to work with my thermostat on the oil furnace.

Thermostat wiring should be easy and would follow the diagram from the owners manual. If the oil burner is forced-air this would be a straight forward installation. Anything different that that I don't have any experience with...but if you give me a description I could point you in the right direction...

Thanks

No the oil burner is water base board that’s why I want to run the supply and return the way I think will work. I’m not that great with electric. I was thinking if I wired the OWB into the oil furnace thermostat but then I’m not sure on how to keep the oil furnace from firing also.

No the oil burner is water base board that’s why I want to run the supply and return the way I think will work. I’m not that great with electric. I was thinking if I wired the OWB into the oil furnace thermostat but then I’m not sure on how to keep the oil furnace from firing also.

What did the Heatmor look like?

It’s in ok shape just not in the price range I want to spend on a used stove, and no wiggle room on the price. And I’ll probably be able to get the hardy for under 1k.

It’s in ok shape just not in the price range I want to spend on a used stove, and no wiggle room on the price. And I’ll probably be able to get the hardy for under 1k.

If you do not mind me asking, how old is that H2 unit? I have a neighbor who is thinking about selling his 9 yearly H2 due to health reasons. (not only filing the unit but cutting the wood) thanks W Jones

Just want to add... When I first bought my Hardy 13 years ago there is no way in this world that I would have purchased a used one. Now that I have owned the Hardy all these years I would ABSOLUTELY buy a used one. If it looks in good shape I highly recommend you get it.

If you do not mind me asking, how old is that H2 unit? I have a neighbor who is thinking about selling his 9 yearly H2 due to health reasons. (not only filing the unit but cutting the wood) thanks W Jones

That was answering a question on a heatmor boiler, not the H2. I’m not sure of the age of it. He sold it when I was on my way to take a look at it.

Back