Hardy h5 22 cord!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seasoned wood gives more heat. You aren’t wasting btu getting the moisture out to start the combustion process.

We heat a ~5000 sq ft shop that is "somewhat" insulated with a home built stove (a piece of TAPS pipeline, so about 4ft around and it's around 6.5ft long). Stove runs full bore most of the winter. On the cold days it's 50ish in here.

Primarily feed it poplar as well as firewood processor scraps. Don't keep track too closely of wood usage, but in the middle of winter a dump bed load (maybe 1.5 cords) will last about 1.5 weeks or so. I'd guess it's in the 25 cord area. Usually it's pretty much processed from logs and into the stove. If it gets seasoned it's more or less on accident.

To compare, my house is about 1400sq ft and I heat it on around 2.5 cords a winter with a Blaze King. Wood is well seasoned and my house is reasonably tight. I keep it in the low 70s.

House and shop are about 1.5 miles apart so more or less same weather.

I've bought wood to a few wood boiler users over the years, they always seemed to go through much more wood than I would have expected for the house size.

One place I remember well, I brought him a cord and he said he'd call when he was getting low. House was single story, maybe 1500ish sq ft. I expected he'd call in a month, maybe 2.
He called me just over a week later in a full panic. He was putting the last pieces in.

Latest posts

Back