Harness/Rig Recommendations For Strictly Removals (have pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I grew up old school learning about tree work from people know knew nothing of today's modern methods of tree removal. My boss back in the 80's use to take a small chainsaw and put it in his belt while dressed in jeans and shimmy the tree.(no safety gear, belts, ropes, etc!) However, I'm not that person and have evolved much since then. However, I believe the gear we use is outdated or could use improvement. I have attached some pics of the type of gear that is being used.

The #1 complaint I get is the inside of their shins hurt from the pressure of the spikes. I have solved this by having them use volleyball knee pads with good luck. I'm thinking I will get some Geckos to solve this problem. What do you think of them?

The #2 complaint I see/hear is a sore back. I'm thinking of getting a saddle with the wide-back to help distribute the weight. As the pic shows, we use a common 4 D-ring setup, but not the wide-back offered by Weaver. Your thoughts?

We use 1/2" climbing ropes and a split-tail to a carabiner utilizing the Blake's Hitch. We also have the Petzl Grillon for the safety rope that is mostly used in removals. We also have a steel core flipline that is hardly ever used but on larger diameter trees.

85% of the trees we remove require main-stem climbing only... meaning no limb walking, just climb up, remove limbs as you go, take the top off, then chunk on the way back down.

What do y'all think of the gear we use currently? The gaffs/spikes are on their way out soon to be replaced with most likely Geckos. Am also considering getting Weaver's 4 D-ring saddle with the wide-back.

Thank you for your input and opinions.

StihlRockin'

Attachments

• Climbing Spikes.jpg
    Climbing Spikes.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Grillon Lanyard.jpeg
    Grillon Lanyard.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Climbing Saddle.jpg
    Climbing Saddle.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Split-tail w-Carabiner.jpeg
    Split-tail w-Carabiner.jpeg
    13.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Try a shorter gaff on the spikes. All spikes are uncomfortable to some degree. There is no "perfect" pair.IMO. Saddles should be tried on before purchase if you can. Anything will be a improvement over what you have as far as comfort and support. Lanyard is fine. Split tail is fine with the type of climbing you are doing. If you get into limb walking and higher level climbing, consider ditching the blakes. There are many other knots that run smoother. I climb on a distel (sp?).

I grew up old school learning about tree work from people know knew nothing of today's modern methods of tree removal. My boss back in the 80's use to take a small chainsaw and put it in his belt while dressed in jeans and shimmy the tree.(no safety gear, belts, ropes, etc!) However, I'm not that person and have evolved much since then. However, I believe the gear we use is outdated or could use improvement. I have attached some pics of the type of gear that is being used.

The #1 complaint I get is the inside of their shins hurt from the pressure of the spikes. I have solved this by having them use volleyball knee pads with good luck. I'm thinking I will get some Geckos to solve this problem. What do you think of them?

The #2 complaint I see/hear is a sore back. I'm thinking of getting a saddle with the wide-back to help distribute the weight. As the pic shows, we use a common 4 D-ring setup, but not the wide-back offered by Weaver. Your thoughts?

We use 1/2" climbing ropes and a split-tail to a carabiner utilizing the Blake's Hitch. We also have the Petzl Grillon for the safety rope that is mostly used in removals. We also have a steel core flipline that is hardly ever used but on larger diameter trees.

85% of the trees we remove require main-stem climbing only... meaning no limb walking, just climb up, remove limbs as you go, take the top off, then chunk on the way back down.

What do y'all think of the gear we use currently? The gaffs/spikes are on their way out soon to be replaced with most likely Geckos. Am also considering getting Weaver's 4 D-ring saddle with the wide-back.

Thank you for your input and opinions.

StihlRockin'

You will like the Geckos, get the pole gaff's. Not sure what you mean about your flipline not used much.
Jeff

jefflovstrom said:
Not sure what you mean about your flipline not used much.
Jeff

Steel core flipline. We use it as the safety belt that goes around the tree when ascending, descending and removals. We mainly use the Grillon lanyard for this and the flipline stays in the bag most of the time. It's stiffness is good when trying to move it up as one is climbing the larger diameter trees. I have attached a pic of the type we use... or should say hardly use.

=====================

As for the shorter or pole gaffs, I thought the longer tree gaffs would be better for penetration of the bark like from the more "barkier" trees that are also thick. It also helps when spiking through dead bark, like from our Elm trees and Norway pines... and the thicker bark of the Cottonwood trees.

In these circumstances, do you guys feel the pole gaffs would still work ok?

And what is the difference or advantage to using the shorter gaffs?

StihlRockin'

Attachments

• steel core flipline.jpg
    steel core flipline.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Almost 130 views and only 2 replies? I guess that sums it up... my methods or equipment are not that far antiquated as I had originally thought and that there's no hard evidence or fact that shorter gaffs are the solution to a more comfortable climb.

Or at least one can assume that with the amount of views to replies ratio, correct?

Regardless, thank you very much for your replies, advice and opinion. Each one helps.

StihlRockin'

Almost 130 views and only 2 replies? I guess that sums it up... my methods or equipment are not that far antiquated as I had originally thought and that there's no hard evidence or fact that shorter gaffs are the solution to a more comfortable climb.

Or at least one can assume that with the amount of views to replies ratio, correct?

Regardless, thank you very much for your replies, advice and opinion. Each one helps.

StihlRockin'

Just trying to help, not sure if you are really a climber.
Jeff :confused:

jefflovstrom said:
Just trying to help, not sure if you are really a climber.
Jeff :confused:

Actually out of all the people on the forum, you were one of the ones who replied with an opinion, really had no good reason to say what you just did by COMPLETELY misunderstanding my second post with that reply, but that's on you, and not a concern of mine if you make mistakes not quite understanding something. Anyway... "really a climber?" LOL! :laugh: But if you want to further the discussion, you said "Get the pole gaff's". Okaaaay. But why? You offer up a reply, which is cool, but did not go into more detail as to why, so I could only assume. Please, from now... "Measure twice, cut once." Or "Read twice, reply once." Sorry I wasn't so clear in my post above, but thought it was evident that since so many people read the post and offered not an opinion, me thinks I'm on the right track with my "antiquated equipment".

StihlRockin'

There's no help available for you here. You might put this in the same thread in 101 where you asked whether using spikes on prune jobs was bad, even though you're "not a newbie". Either that, or stick your chainsaw in your belt and shimmy up a tree. :givebeer:

There's no help available for you here. You might put this in the same thread in 101 where you asked whether using spikes on prune jobs was bad, even though you're "not a newbie". Either that, or stick your chainsaw in your belt and shimmy up a tree. :givebeer:

With a childish remark like that, it's easy to assume you're a tad bit more than naive to think I asked that for myself. I know of 4 climbers in my area that prune trees and use spikes to do pruning. I believe I know most all the bad reasons of using spikes on live trees, but by asking the question, I make myself smarter if perhaps I learn just one more reason. I ask questions, therefore I get answers.

You don't want to get into a battle of wits with me hero... or you'll get charged with coming to battle unarmed. :laugh:

Don't spill your beer on your 'puter mate.

StihlRockin' :D

KenJax Tree, Gologit & 2treeornot2tree,

Shame on you for "egging" this on!

But ifften someone's going to take some jabs at me, I jab back...

I'm Muhammad Ali, aka "Cassius Clay".

And imagineero, aka "Imagine I'm a hero" is Duk-Koo Kim,(the boxer destroyed by "Boom boom" Ray Mancini)

StihlRockin' Quotes = "I fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee, imagineero wishes he was just like me. But he knows this could never happen because I'm the real deal, while imagineero is a wussy, he's trying to conceal. I'm the better climber, he knows this to be true, but he's so unhappy, he wants to be through. So imagineero I call you out as the rude guy you are, I'll be around never too far. Come get some!"

KenJax Tree, Gologit & 2treeornot2tree,

Shame on you for "egging" this on!

But ifften someone's going to take some jabs at me, I jab back...

I'm Muhammad Ali, aka "Cassius Clay".

And imagineero, aka "Imagine I'm a hero" is Duk-Koo Kim,(the boxer destroyed by "Boom boom" Ray Mancini)

StihlRockin' Quotes = "I fly like a butterfly and sting like a bee, imagineero wishes he was just like me. But he knows this could never happen because I'm the real deal, while imagineero is a wussy, he's trying to conceal. I'm the better climber, he knows this to be true, but he's so unhappy, he wants to be through. So imagineero I call you out as the rude guy you are, I'll be around never too far. Come get some!"

Well, that tells me everything I need to know about this guy.

Gologit said:
Well, that tells me everything I need to know about this guy.

Gologit = Location: California

Back at yah. Right back at you.

Sorry I couldn't find the appropriate smiley I had in mind for you.

StihlRockin'

Admit it Bob, you miss having that 'smite' button, don't you? Has anyone jumped into your shoes yet?

LOL...No I don't really miss it. I had a year and a half of it and that was plenty. It's a lot more fun just being a regular member...I can have opinions, I can take sides, and I can say whatever I want to...if I don't get "smited" myself that is.

'Beans is doing a good job as a mod, as is Steve NW WI. There's a pretty high burn out rate...and now I can understand why.

StihlRockin'

Cum hoc ergo propter hoc? I hardly think so. Another possibility is that with your attitude, most guys aren't willing to waste their time.

As long as I'm jumping in, stihl est optimum, unless you're referring to your buddy Joe Stihl. Jeff

Latest posts

Back