Harness/Rig Recommendations For Strictly Removals (have pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beans is a good guy. He tries to keep his elevated status below everyone's radar.

Stihlrockin: You have had cross words with Jeff before, and he acknowledges that he can be a bit crusty. Did you notice that he read all your post and gave you a good answer? For the most part, he was only responding in agreement with the first post. "Pole gaffs" are how shorter spikes are sold & marketed; he was just adding clarity and perhaps telling you where to get what you were looking for.

With respect to the second comment he made? I can imagine dozens of reasons for not using any particular piece of equipment. He was just commenting that he was not sure what you meant; many climbers prefer a steel core flipline. The comment looked like an invitation to offer more explanation.

You will achieve greater popularity and get better answers if you look for the positive elements in what folks respond with.

Regarding pole spikes: I don't prefer them. They are shorter, and do reduce the side strain on your legs. They also make it almost impossible to safely climb a vine covered tree. I have several pair of Geckos, and I like them a lot. If long spurs are causing comfort issues, consider buying the "European" gaffs. These gaffs are shorter than the "American" gaffs, and will be more comfortable for long duration climbing. I bought a pair after I got my first geckos, on account of how weak my ankles had become. No longer a problem, I still have the European gaffs in my car.

pdqdl,

I came across your reply and have NOT read on, but felt it important to reply to your post above...

I feel personally and honestly that you gave me a great reply. I also feel I should not have to "look for positive elements"... so to speak. I came came from a background when people asked for advice, \they'd actually get some! I may not agree, but they gave me their 2 bits worth!

Look back at this thread and others. I urge you to do this closely. You will quickly find I did not invite this mess. Instead I had to converse with "*$%#^!" accordingly!

SINCERELY, I honestly appreciate the fact you took your valuable time and replied to my post without all the BS. That's what I was sincerely looking for!

Best of luck fellow wood-cutting- brother. Thank you!

StihlRockin'

Last edited:
this saddle qualifies as a torture device :D

climbing-saddle-jpg.317303

this saddle qualifies as a torture device :D

climbing-saddle-jpg.317303

Ok, you ARE responsible for my laundry bill! I choked laughing at that response because you couldn't be closer to the truth! I thought the "pain" was part of the climbing and taught my climbers to be A-holes too because of the way the harness pulled on their backs as well!

Yes, that's the mainstay of what I used and "subjected" others to use too. I'll get the wideback next!

Thanks!

StihlRockin'

... I also feel I should not have to "look for positive elements"... so to speak. I came came from a background when people asked for advice, \they'd actually get some! I may not agree, but they gave me their 2 bits worth!

StihlRockin'

You see, that is the difference between a real community and an on-line community. If you expect the on-line personalities to conform to real world behavior, you will surely be disappointed.

It takes some getting used to, but the on-line community actually has far more depth, diversity, and knowledge than any local community. Learning how to access that source is a bit of a learned skill. If you are unwilling to exert the effort to try, you may discover that you just don't like it here.

Ex: You got what you thought was a useless or offensive answer from Imagineero, whom I consider a fine individual and a sterling member of the AS community. His answer was very direct, and contained some pearls of wisdom that you probably did not appreciate at all. I suspect that he was trying to send you the same message that I am: be a little more tolerant of how folks answer you, and you might get more help.

Once you get past whatever ill-will might have been inadvertently created in some previous post, you will find that there are a lot more likeable folks here than this thread would suggest. Shucks, even Gologit and I can sometimes get along, and I don't think you know how hard a barrier that has been to hurdle.

Communication on the internet and in the real world share this trait: when hard-heads run into each other, everybody gets sore-headed about the experience.

The #2 complaint I see/hear is a sore back. I'm thinking of getting a saddle with the wide-back to help distribute the weight. As the pic shows, we use a common 4 D-ring setup, but not the wide-back offered by Weaver. Your thoughts?
Thank you for your input and opinions.

StihlRockin'

I never responded to #2 complaint.

Most back problems are caused by poor condition or poor positioning. Your sore backs will probably not be improved by better equipment.

I would guess that most guys that have sore backs are just starting out or have been doing it for a long, long time. There is no hope for the old-timers: they have accumulated too much stress on their backs, and all the arthritis and worn out articulating surfaces in their backs is only going to get worse.

Newcomers, however, will toughen up their weak muscles and experience less strain in just a short time. If that isn't happening, you need to evaluate what is wrong with their work positioning. I don't climb that often anymore, and I am actually in pretty old and soft condition to get away with what I do. I have broken my back several times, but my back never gets sore when I am climbing. Why? ...I trust the equipment, and I keep my weight supported by ropes, rather than tucking my knees in on my spurs and hugging the tree, grasping onto branches while I am executing a cut.

I personally could climb a tree for a whole lot longer without back strain than I could stand behind cash register all the time.

Suggestions:
1. Watch anybody in a tree (or have someone film you). If they look uncomfortable and stressed, it is going to set off all the tension muscles in their back. Sore back and exhaustion will follow shortly thereafter. Figure out why the uncomfortable look, and you will probably take care of the sore backs.
2. Eliminate all occasions where the chainsaw is running and only one tie-in is in use. A lot of extra strength is needed to balance your weight while making a cut when you are relying on only one tie-in, be it safety lanyard or TIP overhead. By using multiple points of contact in the tree, you reduce the strain on the lower back and you also reduce the weight on those tired shins. Besides that, it is an ANSI safety standard to tie in twice.
3. Learn to lean back away from the tree. This is really a refinement on #1 suggestion, but too many climbers just wear themselves out. Lean against that safety lanyard, and watch the sore backs diminish.

You see, that is the difference between a real community and an on-line community. If you expect the on-line personalities to conform to real world behavior, you will surely be disappointed.

It takes some getting used to, but the on-line community actually has far more depth, diversity, and knowledge than any local community. Learning how to access that source is a bit of a learned skill. If you are unwilling to exert the effort to try, you may discover that you just don't like it here.

Ex: You got what you thought was a useless or offensive answer from Imagineero, whom I consider a fine individual and a sterling member of the AS community. His answer was very direct, and contained some pearls of wisdom that you probably did not appreciate at all. I suspect that he was trying to send you the same message that I am: be a little more tolerant of how folks answer you, and you might get more help.

Once you get past whatever ill-will might have been inadvertently created in some previous post, you will find that there are a lot more likeable folks here than this thread would suggest. Shucks, even Gologit and I can sometimes get along, and I don't think you know how hard a barrier that has been to hurdle.

Communication on the internet and in the real world share this trait: when hard-heads run into each other, everybody gets sore-headed about the experience.

Or change your user name to Kidd Gloves.
Jeff

Nah. Don't need no Kidd Gloves around here.

Unless I am mistaken, when someone got handled with kid gloves, it still meant that somebody beat the snot out of you with softer than usual gloves to somehow protect you. In other words: rough treatment with a pretense of being nice about it.

I think it comes from boxing, where matches were often done bare-handed or with gloves on (usually to protect your own hands, not the other guy).

Your problem is that most of the folks here don't understand that you are being nice. I'm sure that when you take off your kid gloves, the conversation is very unpleasant.

Ok, you ARE responsible for my laundry bill! I choked laughing at that response because you couldn't be closer to the truth! I thought the "pain" was part of the climbing and taught my climbers to be A-holes too because of the way the harness pulled on their backs as well!

Yes, that's the mainstay of what I used and "subjected" others to use too. I'll get the wideback next!

Thanks!

StihlRockin'
I am pretty certain 046 was making reference to the fact that saddle is a nut crusher.

I was gonna join the conversation with some thoughts until you popped off at jeff.
"Just trying to help, not sure if you are really a climber" may have been a challenge but not a vicious attack. A performance $200 grillon lanyard mated to a cheapo split suspension weaver? 85% are take downs but yer not complaining enough about that 4d weaver squeezing, pinching and biting when working aloft the remaining 15% of the time? Hmmmmm. I think he was wondering if you're qualified for his time and advise. Others no doubt made a judgement and moved on.
My #1 concern, if this is for real, your boss is kitting out his crews with garbage web back weavers, grillons and soon geckos... must be off his meds.
Pdqdl - Excellent post on forum psychology and decorum. I'd suggest a sticky thread on this to further the pursuit of a kinder gentler Arboristsite.

Latest posts

Back