Has anybody ever made a skiptooth chain From removing cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTAlucard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yes what the title says ! :O I Am really curious

has anybody ever made a skiptooh chain from a full comp chain using a dremel or grinder ? This would save me a boat load of money

124 DL .404 I Can't clear the chips out fast enough It cuts good till the chips clog up

Thank you !

Why not just buy a skiptooth chain? With that long of a bar, probably should have got a skiptooth to begin with.

I don't think a dermel would work very well, it would cost most in replacement stones vs buying a new chain. A 4 1/2 hand grinder would work but over heating the links would be a problem. Using either method would take
a long time.

Well I Might end up just having to buy a skip tooth chain for it then I Can shrink the chain for a 20 inch 404 bar I have

The .404 chain from huztl is really good and really cheap !

I did it out of desperation on a 90 odd DL chain the way it turned out & the time it took if you count a labour charge on your time it was an all around beyyer bet with a new chain

@Philbert was talking about these redneck skip chains not long ago. Grind off every third cutter. With an angle grinder it shouldn't take too long. Personally, I'd be inclined to give it a shot.

Are skip tooth chains that costly? I saw Carlton chains for like 30 bucks in 25 inch stihl. I was looking into that setup for the 290/390 bore saw. Bigger bar for a lesser power saw.

I like to run skip tooth . My bar is 58 gauge and never see them for a 58 gauge always 50 . I never did this or never thought about doing it now this opens up a lot of options

Are skip tooth chains that costly?
Not that different compared to conventional chains. But sometimes harder to find. Or maybe you cannot find them with the tooth configuration that you want. Or maybe you have an excesss of conventional chains hanging around. Or maybe just to see if you can.

Philbert

Back when I was milling, I used a small wheel on a Dremel to cut the top plate angles to 10 degrees. I want to say they were diamond wheels from Dremel. Zipped right through the cutters on Stihl chain. So its possible.

But Ive never intentionally removed cutters.... Sure its possible.

9" grinder with a cutting disc, I can do a 172 link chain pretty quickly.

Just used a pair of dikes/side cutters on my experimental crafstman. I cut every third tooth off and the raker. Then I took a quick file to it.

It's a 42cc with an 18 inch semi chisle chain. I havnt used it yet with the skip in place.

15068038349871352399794.jpg

Latest posts

Back