has anyone used a slip on 4 way for a speeco 22 ton. wedge on ram.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fordf150

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
They work ok in medium sized hard woods with straight grain. Expect to bend the strap and render it useless within the first cord of wood. After modifying the hook/strap to be strong enough to hold the wedge on it will work but your still left with wings that are to short to be of any use in larger wood or anything that isn't straight grained

flotek

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
This was surely engineered by some college kid intern at speeco who never split a log in his life . It's one of those designs that fails before it even leaves the drawing board

avc8130

avc8130

ArboristSite Member
I own one and use it a lot. The wings are short but generally i find it works ok. I use it through all sorts of wood. I basically just use it and keep splitting. Sometimes it doesn't fully split the wood on the sides. I just turn the log and hit it again. I've done tests back to back. The 4 way out produces for me.

FishNJ

FishNJ

ArboristSite Operative
Agree with all above. Works ok. Not perfect. Faster than without. Worthwhile. You can improve if you have access to a welder. Or handy enough make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avc8130

avc8130

ArboristSite Member
I read that people break it, but I just don't see how. I've TRIED. I push mine through every piece. Even straight up notches and crotches that it has no business going through. The backbone piece is a joke, but other than banging that back a few times, it hasn't failed yet.

ac

R'Lee

R'Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
I got one as a gratuity for another issue I had and quickly discovered the top strap doesn't hold up too well with hardwood. I beefed mine up a tad and now she works fine although, it's best to have all the same diameter wood while playing with it. I also discovered the need to shield my engine and filter from some of the splits going wild on me...

R'Lee

R'Lee

ArboristSite Lurker
dc8b33a625683c5337f6d25962f5a0a1.jpg
a60614190317f31fd1426ea2504920d7.jpg
09e0f1baa56664b8d0d868525d472fc6.jpg