has anyone used a slip on 4 way for a speeco 22 ton. wedge on ram.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seen one at the store for $59 . Figure I could use it for the stuff less than 10 inches in diameter. Do they work good?

That's kinda what I was thinking. The stuff it would actually work on, would only need to be split in half anyway.

They work ok in medium sized hard woods with straight grain. Expect to bend the strap and render it useless within the first cord of wood. After modifying the hook/strap to be strong enough to hold the wedge on it will work but your still left with wings that are to short to be of any use in larger wood or anything that isn't straight grained

This was surely engineered by some college kid intern at speeco who never split a log in his life . It's one of those designs that fails before it even leaves the drawing board

This was surely engineered by some college kid intern at speeco who never split a log in his life . It's one of those designs that fails before it even leaves the drawing board

I'm thinking they don't want to over stress their splitter...

SR

I own one and use it a lot. The wings are short but generally i find it works ok. I use it through all sorts of wood. I basically just use it and keep splitting. Sometimes it doesn't fully split the wood on the sides. I just turn the log and hit it again. I've done tests back to back. The 4 way out produces for me.

The one for my 35 ton is about the same. It's still faster than without, but it's not 100%. It definitely won't turn it into a TW-5 but it's a worthwhile investment...

Agree with all above. Works ok. Not perfect. Faster than without. Worthwhile. You can improve if you have access to a welder. Or handy enough make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one, broke it the same day, and returned it the next. It might work on small straight grained stuff but it is a waste of time and money IMO. Glad some of you can make it work.

I read that people break it, but I just don't see how. I've TRIED. I push mine through every piece. Even straight up notches and crotches that it has no business going through. The backbone piece is a joke, but other than banging that back a few times, it hasn't failed yet.

ac

I tried the smaller one on 12" jack pine and smaller red oak! the wings are to small and the welds are soft, which will peel off or just break free from little pressure on a straight grained block of wood!!!!! ?"JUNK" !

I got one as a gratuity for another issue I had and quickly discovered the top strap doesn't hold up too well with hardwood. I beefed mine up a tad and now she works fine although, it's best to have all the same diameter wood while playing with it. I also discovered the need to shield my engine and filter from some of the splits going wild on me...

dc8b33a625683c5337f6d25962f5a0a1.jpg
a60614190317f31fd1426ea2504920d7.jpg
09e0f1baa56664b8d0d868525d472fc6.jpg

Back