Has anyone worn out a chainbrake...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or is that cutting until you run out of appendages? How much does your average chainsaw bite cost? Do you use saw mitts? Are your guys qualified to use saws or just good enough by your standards? Have you done a course on using a saw or are you self taught?

Those clicks arent any more expensive than tieing in, putting your helmet on, having a tailgate meeting, working in heavy hot expensive PPE, wearing a seatbelt, having insurance etc.
I like the clicks, its going to cost everyone alot more if its not used enough.
Yes I was trained way back 1979 1980 learned to climb with single wire core manila rope come to a branch untie go over it retie. Learned an aluminum hard hat and loggin corks were PPE . Learned to carry big saw on shoulder. Use the chain brake if you were making a major move on saws that had them. Use the brake after the chain stops. Like rope maybe I come from a differant time.Standard PNW logging techniques are what we were taught. Got my first set of chaps 2 years ago and use them. Now use a full climbing saddle with new style flip lines. Wear safety glasses and ear plugs. 30 plus years of good technique only injury was hit by some ones broken chain from 30 feet away which cut my wrist so I put a band aid on it. Read about guys tearing up thier chaps regularly which leads me to believe a lotta poor technique is out there. I understand the occasional nick in the chaps but guys keep asking how many times can I hit my chaps before I replace them. The only marks in my jeans from 30+ years of cutting were nicks from non running chainsaw moving it around. I do use the brake a lot up in trees because of the limited area. If not being a break clicker makes me a bad cutter oh well tear me up technique police.

Never worn one out, never come close, all my saws get a chainbrake workout. All my saws run well.
Chainbrake assembly and clutch drum get an inspection and cleaning (gook scrapped off and a blow out with the compressor) at least once a month, no excessive wear has ever been evident.
No nicks in MY chainsaw pants, except from my spikes.

broke chain band !!!

I have worn a few out on a 440 myself, cause! Breaking in high revs. Either the brake band or the drum. When people are around me, I dont care the break is going on.. Fast pace, close quarters.. Better safe than sorry... Anything less is irresponsible! :givebeer:

Okay guys, I have no problem with what everyone is saying, but you guys can tell my boss the 3 time lenght rule. He is a hurry up, hurry up, lets get it done!!!! Come on lets go!!!! So as soon as the mexicans stop reaching into my cutting area, I'll stop using the break!!! All in the name of money! Again, better a break band than someones arm!!!

Last edited:
I have worn a few out on a 440 myself, cause! Breaking in high revs. Either the brake band or the drum. When people are around me, I dont care the break is going on.. Fast pace, close quarters.. Better safe than sorry... Anything less is irresponsible! :givebeer:

Ok first rule in chainsawing no one closer than three times that sawyers reach. Second fast pace, presto; we have a jackpot, a controlled well planed out pace with a machine capable of doing great bodily harm is responsible, not click,click,clickity,click,click,click. The thing is designed to stop the chain in the event,event of kickback. Click, click,clickity,click is wearing out your safety margin ,so when the big kickback occurs, it may just fail ! A kill switch was designed to stop the saw for transporting in thick cover and at final use so use them for their design and save the click for when it counts.

Last edited:
Ok first rule in chainsawing no one closer than three times that sawyers reach. Second fast pace, presto; we have a jackpot, a controlled well planed out pace with a machine capable of doing great bodily harm is responsible, not click,click,clickity,click,click,click.
The thing is designed to stop the chain in the event,
event of kickback. Click, click,clickity,click is wearing out your safety margin ,so when the big kickback occurs, it may just fail ! A kill switch was designed to stop the saw for transporting in thick cover and at final use so use them for their design and save the click for when it counts.

I agree Rope. I started when brakes were around ('87). I was told they were for emergencies that came from being careless. I didn't know they were being used like a tv remote by some. Carry the saw properly. Buck properly. Don't wear the poor thing out, you might actually need it one day.

First time I used saws was in '85 or so, in high school while doing maintenance at a summer camp. I don't remember if any of those had brakes on them but imagine they did. I WAS taught to never move with my right hand on the saw, unless it was on the loop handle, and to shut it off if I was climbing around a pile or my feet were not firmly planted. Years late I had the opportunity to run a heavy, old, light bluish colored saw, Homie or Partner(?), and did not do so out of my love for personal longevity. I believe that one did not have a brake.

I will admit that I do not always follow the "no right hand while moving" rule but at the least I treat it like a gun and put my trigger finger outside of the rear handle. I also feel guilty when I don't follow it. Heel, I don't even know if my saws will start with the brake on but I don't think so....:confused:

Ok first rule in chainsawing no one closer than three times that sawyers reach. Second fast pace, presto; we have a jackpot, a controlled well planed out pace with a machine capable of doing great bodily harm is responsible, not click,click,clickity,click,click,click. The thing is designed to stop the chain in the event,event of kickback. Click, click,clickity,click is wearing out your safety margin ,so when the big kickback occurs, it may just fail ! A kill switch was designed to stop the saw for transporting in thick cover and at final use so use them for their design and save the click for when it counts.

That is one thing that has plagued me too but I overcame that problem by regularly inspecting my ****. Here is the song I attribute to using the break like a teenaged boy uses acne cream, 2 songs actually:
Smack that f-ing chain break white boy
Smack that f-ing chain break now
Oh smack that F-ing chain break white boy
Lay down and boogie and smack that f-ing break before you die!
I am allowed to use the term" white boy" well, cause I am a white boy. Anybody else using it would be a racist and would offend me.
The other is to the theme to Wheel of Fortune goes like- I'm a break slapper, I'm a break slapper, I'm a break slapper, Oh I forget the rest. But i do sing those songs as I bring the chain to a abrupt halt making my saw grunt like the hog it is while i lean way out on one spike to see if my cut is on target before I commit to being sorry I didn't.
Also I like it when I start to Ginsu up a tall spruce and all I got is my lanyard and my headphones blasting 'Don't Fear the Reaper'. I don't like to let my rope hang on stuff like that.want to see some one handing?

Last edited:
First time I used saws was in '85 or so, in high school while doing maintenance at a summer camp. I don't remember if any of those had brakes on them but imagine they did. I WAS taught to never move with my right hand on the saw, unless it was on the loop handle, and to shut it off if I was climbing around a pile or my feet were not firmly planted. Years late I had the opportunity to run a heavy, old, light bluish colored saw, Homie or Partner(?), and did not do so out of my love for personal longevity. I believe that one did not have a brake.

I will admit that I do not always follow the "no right hand while moving" rule but at the least I treat it like a gun and put my trigger finger outside of the rear handle. I also feel guilty when I don't follow it. Heel, I don't even know if my saws will start with the brake on but I don't think so....:confused:

If I treated my saw like i treat my gun I would be dead! I just open the door and its BAM BAM BAM. Finger comes off the trigger when I reload.

Yes it did happen to me

Wore the band thin till it seperated from the end bit (Not the end that pulls on the spring).

Why? Probably misuse... :monkey:

Got the part, put it in, went on cutting.

Can post a pic of the worn band if anybody cares to see...

has anyone worn out a Chain brake

Our Trainees are real bad for that Click, click ,stuff . they think it is a ON, OFF switch not a safety device, out at the local Botanical garden the don't want anyone to use the chain break. I look for something in the middle. just like your Breaks on a car or truck if you use it up it don;t work when you need them. I have an 1984 saw bought new beat he!! out of it over time, never had a bad brake don't have any one using it but me . When it Kicks I know it will lock and not get me. Use it to often it may not work when you need it!! all parts will wear how you use them will tell how long they will work for you. It is not a Lite switch it is a Safety Device. Now if I could get my Students to understand that I would not have to repair so many saws. PS lost 2 on some else's small saws I guess those of us that did not have chain brakes in the beginning don't use them as much

Latest posts

Back