Has Oregon chain really changed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oregon works well for me. If there is a difference it goes unnoticed by me. If it were a kitchen knife or similar I would opt for the better more expensive, but chainsaw chains are a wear item, and a quick one, so saving ~50% makes good sense to me.
See the project farm video in the above post. It confirms my own experience. I would say that for me, the Stihl RS chain cuts at least 20% faster than Oregon chains. They also require maybe half the frequency of chain sharpening and half the frequency of chain tensioning. I don't do this for a living but I care about my time, so I do not plan to use Oregon any more unless something drastically changes.

Our dealer just switched fromHuskies to Stihl. So I guess I’ll be using Stihl chains now. Can those be bought on line?

See the project farm video in the above post. It confirms my own experience. I would say that for me, the Stihl RS chain cuts at least 20% faster than Oregon chains. They also require maybe half the frequency of chain sharpening and half the frequency of chain tensioning. I don't do this for a living but I care about my time, so I do not plan to use Oregon any more unless something drastically changes.
Stihl RS chain IME has always cut a bit faster and last a bit longer off the roll vs. Oregon. I would not put it as high as 20% though. Maybe half that and it certaonlybdoesnt last anything close to 50% longer IME.
When I was logging and buying chain by the roll I always used Oregon LG because it was so much cheaper than Stihl RS. This was in hardwoods exclusively.

I have been very happy with Oregon EXJ chain I recently bought. Not quite as hard as stihl, but cuts very well once hand filed to my specs.

I have bought quite a lot of the EXJ chains from Saw Suppliers. Quality and a good price. Stihl has always been to pricey for my wallet, Husqvarna was good for a while, but the Oregon after all my experiences is the best Price/Quality ratio.

Bought a twin pack of Oregon 91PX S52 chain at TSC I have been cutting wood the past month and noticed both chains stretch a lot and the edge doesn't last like the chains of the past. I got basically half a tank in before it was dull again. I have been cutting green cherry that has not been in contact with the ground.
sawchain.jpg

Latest posts

Back