Hauling Rounds on ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had the racks from the second link you posted on my old fourwheeler. They were nice for hauling fairly light stuff around; treestands, tools, etc. but they wouldn't handle anything with much weight to them. They attach to the racks with U-bolts (used to, anyway) and no matter how tight you crank them down, adding anything heavy would cause them to twist around and get loose after a short ride. Not only that, but they would scratch the hell out of your existing rack. Not trying to bash your idea, just don't want someone else to end up like I did.

I've seen those on a friend's wheeler and agree they are pretty light but for a couple years of use should hold up. My wheeler is a 2000 model so not too worried about damaging the existing racks.

Yeah, the quad rarely moves without something hitched to it. The only time it sees high gear is when the boys come home. Each Spring I go through it for maintenance and completely strip the body panels from it, and pull the wheels. Change fluids in all three cases, plus the engine oil/filter, and check it end to end. Have replaced torn U-joint boots, cracked breather hoses on front and rear dif., and such. YouTube was great for learning how to pull front axles... Clean, check for loose bolts, etc., grease, wax, use...:drinkingcoffee:IMG_2814.jpg IMG_0401.jpg IMG_0399.jpg IMG_2817.jpg

I would think you could take the existing racks off, and fab something wood specific to bolt back on the front and back that would accommodate rounds, half rounds, or large quarter rounds. A small rack with uprights and a mesh headache racks to keep it from shifting forward and back. Or something to haul 4' lengths cross-ways would probably be more productive.

The caution would be that something tall behind you could more likely trap you from a quick exit, and possibly break your back if you flipped it, much like sissy bars on the back of a motorcycle.

If you are still trying to haul these rounds this fall. I would take a long weekend this fall and help my Polaris 850 sportsman would love to help. I have a big John Deere cart with atv tires on it.

Nate, looks good. That is basically what I'm thinking but I was just going to fashion "sideboards" so the first row or two could be stacked in there without straps.

Thanks, I would think that would work great. A lot of times it's hard to keep the bottom outside blocks from rolling off while stacking second row on so having small side boards should work better.

Latest posts

Back