Have a new fireplace, Now unable to get wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The fireplace is great and we have been spoiled when the house dips below 70 at night so we light it to take the chill off instead of freezing at at 62 degrees like last year.
Problem that occurred last weekend while shucking corn at a store.
:rant:
A :censored:imbecile,blind,half wit cart boy was pushing a load of carts and ran the whole load of carts right into my very sore and currently injured back.:angry: Mind you any unexpected motion even a stick breaking under my foot suddenly may cause an increase in pain. He did not knock me over, but now I am limited to carrying no more than 1/2 a gallon of milk, walking only about 50 yds and standing about 5 minutes or less before forced to lie down.

I had plans to build a woodshed to store the woodpiles, gather more wood,build lean- tos alongside the garage and now I can't even pick up a hammer let alone a saw. Besides how does one do it from a bed?

I am on heavier pain pills and am hoping the carts did not damage the fusion surgery site. I do not want a 3rd failed surgery.

Manager knows and documented the injury he is probably hoping I do not sue them, I should if I need surgery or am down for the summer. The complication is the chronic existing back injury I have had for 12 years though.
Sorry for the rant I am mad that I finally get a fireplace and now can't get wood for it, I can't afford to purchase it when we have so much of it lying around on the property.

Thats too bad. Sorry to hear of your problem. I would have it checked by your back doctor and if it is messed up bad I would have the store pay for it. Im not saying "sue for everything you got" but pay the medical bills and explain about gathering firewood and whatever else our are going to miss out on. Hope all works out. :)

I thought they used to call such events "accidents."

Oh well sorry to hear about your injury,

If it were me, I'da just stepped out of the way of the carts.

I know, I know.......... hard to hear a couple hundred wobbly shopping carts coming across the pavement at you.

:agree2: I have to say I would look behind me and get out of the way. Like said above its not like you couldn't hear them.

Wow you guys are harsh. Im sure its easy to armchair quarterback from a keyboard. How about, You shouldnt have been there in the first place,make your old lady do the shopping. Unless you were there can you really know what happened. Im sure RCR is no idiot. :confused:

:agree2:
Wow you guys are harsh. Im sure its easy to armchair quarterback from a keyboard. How about, You shouldnt have been there in the first place,make your old lady do the shopping. Unless you were there can you really know what happened. Im sure RCR is no idiot. :confused:

:agree2: God bless everyone!

... but, freezing at 62° ??

Yes 62 is colder compared to 96.8 degrees than 70 is.

MY heat cycle on furnace was set at a high of 62 degrees for 20 hours per day. The high setting only went up to whopping 64 degrees for 4 hours at night. We could not afford to pay gas bill for higher house temps!!

When people came over they wore heavy sweaters as they could not get used to the temps as they shivvered at the table.

We had to wear sweater and such to stay warm. Now with fireplace we maintain a comfortable 70+.

Yes 62 degrees is freezing compared to 70 and above. Do you turn on your A/C on in the winter and crank it down to 62, at least in MI we do NOT! I do not even turn the a/c down to 62 in the summer.

It is an effort to just step out of the way.

If it were me, I'da just stepped out of the way of the carts. I know, I know.......... hard to hear a couple hundred wobbly shopping carts coming across the pavement at you.

Carts were coming from behind me and NO I did NOT hear them. Besides my range of motion and movement is slow anyway. By the time I figure out the carts are coming, drop the corn cobs pick up the cane and decide which direction to move I am struck.

Due to meds I have lost some hearing, reasoning & concentration ability. I know that, so am extra careful when doing stuff. I did NOT hear the carts so I could not react to them period end of story. Just because you may be able to does NOT give the ability for everyone else!

My wife teases me when I can not hear birds in our backyard, or traffic noise, leaves rustling, or the TV or even conversation across the table. WE can NOT afford luxury items like hearing aids either so I deal with it.

I was injured by a guy with out of control carts who laughed after he hit me, I am not kidding, I have incurred medical expenses already. I have bought more drugs and I have to see a Dr. My insurance does not cover accidents on private property like at a store so they WILL have to pay for at least that much.

I am just at a loss as to how we will get other stuff done we needed to get done during this summer without hiring someone which we can not do either due to lack of money.

Accidents do happen, but this one HURTS and is disabling

Oh well sorry to hear about your injury,

It probably was an accident, I mean who in their right mind would think they could push a line of carts between a person and a post when the space was narrower than a cart? Especially a line of carts that do NOT follow a straight path.

Then after a person is hit the stock boy laughs and then says I am sorry, which form of statement did he really mean. Instead of getting written up he should have gotten fired.

I do not intend on getting rich over this, I do NOT want to contact jeffrey Fieger lawyers. They will positively have to pay my medical expenses that I incur though. I do not sue every fast food joint that spills a hot drink on me.

:agree2: I have to say I would look behind me and get out of the way. Like said above its not like you couldn't hear them.

Lame, you were not there.

Oh by the way I am lame and using a cane to just walk so I can not move fast.

Never said you were lame. I made a general comment, which theres not one person I know that can't hear a line of shopping carts. I'm sure it was an accident, which by the time the stock boy maybe seen you, it would be almost impossible to stop a line of carts. Thats the reason why around here they use a cart mover, and stand in the front of it when guiding carts through the parking lot.

lame or not any idiot pushing a bunch of carts should watch out what they are doing. hopefully you will recover! If some idiot hit me with a bunch of carts and started to giggle about it, especially in your condition I would have whacked em over the head with your cane not once but twice! good luck with the back buddy:cheers:

so sue the store !
you have injury . the dolt laughed at your injury.
his screw up is costing you money and pain and suffering .

But .... 62 isnt all that cold. if I get this old colonial up to 65 im thrilled .
MD

RCR,
Maybe you can run an ad and work a deal with another guy capable of running a saw and splitter. Tell him you'll take a % of what he cuts and splits. A piece of the pie is always better than no pie.

Sorry to hear about it. That's the one caveat with wood heat-which is why I try to take care of my back by not doing stupid stuff like straining/lifting improperly in order to get rounds that are way too heavy into my truck. Core exercises to strengthen the muscles in that area help too but it sounds like you're past that point. Ever think about going over to coal? It's a hell of a lot easier to handle.

I am very confused.

:confused:If it's really that hard to move out of the way of carts (had you heard them coming), HOW THE HE77 CAN YOU POSSIBLY MAKE FIREWOOD?

:confused:If it's really that hard to move out of the way of carts (had you heard them coming), HOW THE HE77 CAN YOU POSSIBLY MAKE FIREWOOD?

I may be able to answer that question... you can brace for something when you know it is going to happen, simple as that.

I also have a back injury and every little unexpected jolt nails me. If I foresee the "jolt" it isn't a big deal. The jolt can be as simple as having to walk over or around something... back injuries suck and unless you have one you will never understand.

Latest posts

Back