Have a Stihl 291 but thinking Echo 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWDIII

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
League City, TX/East Texas, Rayburn Country
I’ve had a Stihl 291 for a couple of years. It does good for my weekend stuff and the property I have leased for hunting.

I’d like to get something just a little lighter, that and I’ve never got used to the Stihl. I shut it down going from choke to run way to often when I start it. I have a homelite beater with a 14 inch bar that won’t die. But wanted something in between That’s farely light but has some snap. I keep reading about Echo 490’s kinda thought I might buy one. Sure seems like a lot of saw for 350 bucks.

I’ve had a Stihl 291 for a couple of years. It does good for my weekend stuff and the property I have leased for hunting.

I’d like to get something just a little lighter, that and I’ve never got used to the Stihl. I shut it down going from choke to run way to often when I start it. I have a homelite beater with a 14 inch bar that won’t die. But wanted something in between That’s farely light but has some snap. I keep reading about Echo 490’s kinda thought I might buy one. Sure seems like a lot of saw for 350 bucks.
You should be able to do better than $350. Look on Ebay. I picked up one for half that price,in excellent condition. A 20" bar is a bit much, though.

I have one, and it’s great. I watched Amazon for while and got a brand new one in the box from a non-Prime seller for $289 plus $15 shipping.

I agree that it feels better with a 16” or 18” bar, but I’ve been impressed with how well it pulls the 20”.

I looked online, I can do a little better. Some of the eBay deals had no return policy. Couple new in box on Craigslist but you never know what your getting into buying on Craigslist in Houston Texas, probably pass on Craigslist.

I need to watch YouTube and better understand muffler mods and how to adjust the carb. Seems like every thing I’ve read recommends those mods.

Never owned an Echo saw but from the pics I like the simple on off switch and choke. Can’t get used to the on/off choke on my Stihl. Will go take a look at a 490 after the stores open up tomorrow or the next day or so.

I would've probably never bought mine if I had to pay 350.
But I sure do like it now that I got it.
It's a nice size and weight that let me jump over the low 40cc saws.
Need to get a 16" bar to make it really handy though.

Rural King has 20 percent off on Echo products, or at least they did couple of days ago when I was in there.

I thought about dropping the hammer on a CS-490 for $70 off the $349 sticker price, but really don't need another 50cc saw in my line-up. I confirmed my good decision yesterday when I pulled out one of my closed port 55's and cut a load of firewood with it. I can't imagine the CS-490 being any faster than one of those from the videos I've seen of them, at least not in stock form.

I still like the features of the CS-490, especially the inboard clutch and removable P/C. I would also imagine the oiler is clutch driven, and it's externally adjustable. IF I needed a 50cc saw it would be at the top of my list for sure........Cliff

Rural King has 20 percent off on Echo products, or at least they did couple of days ago when I was in there.

I thought about dropping the hammer on a CS-490 for $70 off the $349 sticker price, but really don't need another 50cc saw in my line-up. I confirmed my good decision yesterday when I pulled out one of my closed port 55's and cut a load of firewood with it. I can't imagine the CS-490 being any faster than one of those from the videos I've seen of them, at least not in stock form.

I still like the features of the CS-490, especially the inboard clutch and removable P/C. I would also imagine the oiler is clutch driven, and it's externally adjustable. IF I needed a 50cc saw it would be at the top of my list for sure........Cliff

No need to imagine, yes and yes.

I live in Texas, we do not have Rural King. We have TSC and they do not have the good deals like RK. I checked RK online but they didn't have any 50 cc. Echo saws on their website. They had a 59 cc cheap enough I almost bought it. Can't remember what it was but it was a good price.

I picked up 490 for $323 before tax from Home Depot this afternoon. Had a 10% off coupon. I could have find one cheaper but HD is close to my house and I picked up on my way to my place near Lake Sam Rayburn, which is where my saw time takes place (pine trees).

I jerked it out of the box, threw some gas and bar oil in it and fired it up. I cut 4 stumps down left by the timber company a while back, so I could back my trailer behind my house. I think the largest stump I cut was about probably close to 30 inches if I had to guess. It was soft and cut easy but still heavy. I only had on wedge with me and it stalled once but was my fault.

I can't complain, not sure I can live on the difference between my new Echo and my 291 Stihl. I will get them side by side one of these days.

I know one thing, I sure like the simple choke and kill switch.

Not sure if I will mod the muffler or not, I don't know enough to know what the improvement would be. Also don't know about noise. I have to watch my ears, dang near deaf in my left ear from all the years working in Chemical plants and Oil Ref.

I only have about 45 more of those dang stumps to cut down so I can grind them. Good thing most are not all that big. Then I have to thin out post oaks and a few dead sweet gums.

I live in Texas, we do not have Rural King. We have TSC and they do not have the good deals like RK. I checked RK online but they didn't have any 50 cc. Echo saws on their website. They had a 59 cc cheap enough I almost bought it. Can't remember what it was but it was a good price.

I picked up 490 for $323 before tax from Home Depot this afternoon. Had a 10% off coupon. I could have find one cheaper but HD is close to my house and I picked up on my way to my place near Lake Sam Rayburn, which is where my saw time takes place (pine trees).

I jerked it out of the box, threw some gas and bar oil in it and fired it up. I cut 4 stumps down left by the timber company a while back, so I could back my trailer behind my house. I think the largest stump I cut was about probably close to 30 inches if I had to guess. It was soft and cut easy but still heavy. I only had on wedge with me and it stalled once but was my fault.

I can't complain, not sure I can live on the difference between my new Echo and my 291 Stihl. I will get them side by side one of these days.

I know one thing, I sure like the simple choke and kill switch.

Not sure if I will mod the muffler or not, I don't know enough to know what the improvement would be. Also don't know about noise. I have to watch my ears, dang near deaf in my left ear from all the years working in Chemical plants and Oil Ref.

I only have about 45 more of those dang stumps to cut down so I can grind them. Good thing most are not all that big. Then I have to thin out post oaks and a few dead sweet gums.

ya RK website sucks and they don't list everything cause they are all a little different.
the one by me is a stihl dealer, meaning to say that they sell new stihl's, they do no work. so they don't carry echo, kinda wish they did.

muff mod is easy on those but take the limiter caps off first, you will have to adjust the jets.

Latest posts

Back