Having trouble finding a job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben14826

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm Having trouble finding a job. I have contacted Davey, Asplundh, and Lewis plus about 5 other local tree services about a job and no one is hiring. I wanted to get a job with a tree service before going out on my own so that I could get some experience before jumping in withouth knowing what I'm doing. My plan was to get a job doing tree work and learn to climb on the job. Since I haven't had any luck finding anyone around here who needs help, what should I do? I have thrown around the idea of advertising in a small local paper and saying that I can do tree work, but then what happens when I show up and the job requires climbing or a bucket truck? Also I don't want to go out unexperienced and do a hack job, get hurt, or worse. I have been thinking lately that this wouldn't be a good idea at all. But I am running out of ideas. I would just cut would all summer to stock up for next years firewood sales, but money is getting tight. Any suggestions would be great. Heck, at this point just a bit of encouragement would be great, LOL. Anyways, have a great day everyone and God Bless.

I found it hard to believe as well. I am willing to travel up to an hour away. I have been to all the local guys and even started looking in Rochester and still nothing. Davey and Lewis are both in Rochester. Should I try at some of the smaller companies in Rochester? Even if I made $10 an hour, driving a pickup for 100 miles a day would quickly bring that down to a very small amount of money at the end of the week. Is it worth it to drive that far?

Tree Work

Ben You should check out East or West Bloomfield there are a tree co's. Mendon to far for you? Season is just starting, but now is the time. We have had a lot of damage this winter and I feel people a just settting on it, waitting to get back-out in their yards.

Thanx guys, Yeah I'll check in bloomfield I remember seein a couple ads for some companies out there. If not, mendon definitely might be an option. I'll keep ya informed. Thanx, Ben

Jobs

Hi Ben
I know someone around Trabors Cornors (Springwater) area too. He's been in the tree business for a long time. He does bucket work around Honeoye lake area, Mendon and Pittsford too.
Work for him for a few years and buy him out.
I have a big job going this weekend, painting the dinning room, but pm me with your phone number. I could call Sunday evening and give you some names.

Ben, i see your picture below your name and you sho are purty! I think u will find work if you just show up in person to apply!

Ben, i see your picture below your name and you sho are purty! I think u will find work if you just show up in person to apply!

haha, it's starting to worry me how many ppl think I am a lady because of the avatar. She's my :bowdown: dream girl, not me!

I should include that she is the same age as me so everyone doesn't think I'm some 60 year old perv.

Well, since I'm like 13000 miles away and like to provoke some thought how's this ....

... the large companies need productivity, generally they go in cheaper and work faster, larger crews are less forgiving of noobs.

... the smaller nearby companies simply cant afford to train their competition, they too suffer with low productivity, higher risk and then another competitor on the scene.

I can see the problem from here, can you? I think if you travel atleast you take away that competitor factor a little.

Also, what tickets, certificates and knowledge do you have? Enough for them to be enticed?

It's always tough starting out, but training your local competitor isn't a wise business strategy.

Just some food for thought. :popcorn:

i feel your pain

Hey Everyone, I'm Having trouble finding a job. I have contacted Davey, Asplundh, and Lewis plus about 5 other local tree services about a job and no one is hiring. I wanted to get a job with a tree service before going out on my own so that I could get some experience before jumping in withouth knowing what I'm doing. My plan was to get a job doing tree work and learn to climb on the job. Since I haven't had any luck finding anyone around here who needs help, what should I do? I have thrown around the idea of advertising in a small local paper and saying that I can do tree work, but then what happens when I show up and the job requires climbing or a bucket truck? Also I don't want to go out unexperienced and do a hack job, get hurt, or worse. I have been thinking lately that this wouldn't be a good idea at all. But I am running out of ideas. I would just cut would all summer to stock up for next years firewood sales, but money is getting tight. Any suggestions would be great. Heck, at this point just a bit of encouragement would be great, LOL. Anyways, have a great day everyone and God Bless.
hi my name is bill howe i am starting out as a pro somday too. i do tree work for the locals in my area. no license no insurance hell i have a back belt lineman spikes 100 foot of climbing rope i bought at lowes and im waiting on them to get me two hundred feet of five eights rigging line. i take wraps around the tree to brake my loads.if you can make it to live oak flordia maybe we could get together and do business together after i get driving. i dont have a drivers license either.all the best and let the lord be with you bill howe

hi my name is bill howe i am starting out as a pro somday too. i do tree work for the locals in my area. no license no insurance hell i have a back belt lineman spikes 100 foot of climbing rope i bought at lowes and im waiting on them to get me two hundred feet of five eights rigging line. i take wraps around the tree to brake my loads.if you can make it to live oak flordia maybe we could get together and do business together after i get driving. i dont have a drivers license either.all the best and let the lord be with you bill howe

wow :O errm, well that revelation's gonna go down like the titanic. not here to tell you what to do, but no licence, no insurance, no driving licence, everything on linemans spikes. *gulp*

fair play if you're confident enough to get it out in the open but it probably wont be perceived well by most here.

ben... and any US residents, are there not any short courses you can do to gain a recognised proficiency in say groundsaw useage etc similar to our NPTC tickets? I worked for a company in Leeds UK for a few months just labouring, fueling up, chipping etc, but now i have my NPTC groundsaw tickets i've got a pay rise and theres companies closer to home (Leeds is where I'm at uni) that want to employ my services. Getting my climbing tickets over summer paid for by them.

Can't speak for western NY, but the general job situation here in the Greater Toronto Area sucks. When you combine the shutting down of the manufacturing industry as we know it along with the arrival of 100000 immigrants a year who will work for nothing or next to nothing, it impacts the entire job market, including the tree industry. Who the heck can afford to work here for $12(or less) an hour without killing yourself in the process? And when people have no money they are not about to shell out bucks for tree work unless it is absolutely necessary.

I think you should be prepared to relocate, just as I am in the final process of moving west permanently to the Alberta Oil Sands. Jobs there start at $20 an hour. Western NY, like ON is not a hotbed of commercial growth at present. Lots of work if you like getting very little for your efforts IMHO.

Last edited:
Jumper and Ekka: You are both right on with this. My efforts will endure though. I will be looking at a couple more tree services this week.

J Walker: I have my class b permit, but I need a company that has a truck that I can use to take the road test. My dad has big trucks but none that are worthy of the taking the test in.

Thanx all for all the advice and input.

Latest posts

Back