Having trouble finding a job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should be prepared to relocate, just as I am in the final process of moving west permanently to the Alberta Oil Sands. Jobs there start at $20 an hour.

Ben, you might want to give that some thought. Work a couple of years in the oil fields, live as cheaply as you can, and sock away some money. You're young enough to really benefit from such a start in life. Seed money can do amazing things, if you're careful with it. Wish someone had talked to me about it when I was your age.

Of course, if you are just going to party the money away, it won't matter where you are. You can be broke and living from paycheck to paycheck anywhere, so it might as well be at home.

I definitely do plan on moving pretty soon, just haven't got any solid ideas together yet. I graduate in May from college so after that I'm kind of "free". It will be interesting to see where things move from there. Thanx for the input, Ben

I definitely do plan on moving pretty soon, just haven't got any solid ideas together yet. I graduate in May from college so after that I'm kind of "free". It will be interesting to see where things move from there. Thanx for the input, Ben

Ben seeinh how you have time on your sideand are graduating you might waant tosee if a few of the guys on this site from the PNW will take you on.
You might need your own grear at least a $2500 invest,ent in saws ropse chains bars at least a 50 inch bar if you are going out west . a big saw likea 395 or MS 660 some smaller ones like a 575 or 441 460 and 20 -24 inbars still more chains helemt . chaps and eyt a even smaller pro saw fro those really small tight spots . or even a arborsit saw .

That is how a made a lving and leanredeven more a number of years agop my other two interests are photogrpaghy and hiking / climbing . hell iwanted to climb Ranier so i found some one who wanted soemday labor needed my own stuff back then about 20 years ago i was in my 20s we had real big beasts . i racll a huige Stil 090 and a Husky that was just as big . eigheda ton espcially witha 60 or 72 inch bar .
I would take any part time job get your gear learn howto use it . I am sure if you post say oncraigs list that youare loooking fro say 10 or so trees to fall willingot pay non hazerdopus ect . you can get a feel for it . .Maybe ypou can place a add part ime or as needed help you might ge soem one or go to a day labor center . your not goingto get the best help in the world but it is a warm body .

just a few idea or start slow get a few saws a used chipper and some ropes a porta wrap mayberent or lease a tracked skid steer loader .
But you will need seed money no matter how you do it .

You can look into subruban or urban timbering too . get your CDL buy a used bucket truck and a laon hire soem guys and after maybe a year ypour will break even even trey it on your own where you live but do not forget your studnet loan

I do soem falling in the brubs . i usuealy the tree guys tere do not have a saw big enpugh to handle a old tree that neeeds to come down ifind it stange but most usea 460 or 575 maybe 585? why I think most of thier work is smaller trees .

best of luck

just a few idea or start slow get a few saws a used chipper and some ropes a porta wrap mayberent or lease a tracked skid steer loader .
But you will need seed money no matter how you do it .

I'm starting to like this idea more and more. I have contacted practically every tree service in the area, and still no luck. I am thinking about getting ahead and starting to buy my own equipment as I learn like you said. Will it be easy? NO, but thats half the fun. I appreciate the time you took to reply. God Bless.

Build your credentials with stuff in your control, Like Certifications from the ISA and ACRT, TCIA, plus maybe a hoisting license and a class B CDL. With those credentials the Jobs will be there in waiting.

Build your credentials with stuff in your control, Like Certifications from the ISA and ACRT, TCIA, plus maybe a hoisting license and a class B CDL. With those credentials the Jobs will be there in waiting.

I will definitely take this advice. It's gonna be a lot of work to get some of those though!

Ben Whrer In NY are you ? IS there a lot of competion in the area ?
Alos You might want ot finda Nuche it seems that is becoming more comon.

One thingI know will help you is to learn to climb and do it well. If you can climb you can make alot more money as you can get intoi areas bucket trusk cannot go .
Or look inot a smaller traked lift a few compaines make them but te cost a mint leasing or renting one forajob might be a good idea plus you getto se if you like it . i would try one on a job that does not have a lot of risk frist especially hitting a house car or other thing of value .
If I livedcolser to you I would give a bit of help

Latest posts

Back