hawaii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiaweroy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this site, have been browsing around for a while though.Lotsa good info.
I cut and split kiawe wood all year round here in hawaii, about 2 cords a week.don't seem to read a whole lot of posts out of the islands.
I use a 20 ton powerhorse, the blade is somewhat bent.I would like to bend it back without dissasembling the whole thing.
also does anyone have experience with the fiskars s/s on kiawe/mesquite?
thanks, roy

Just bought a fiskars ss a few weeks ago, so far it works great. Man that thing is sharp. You might have to apply some armstrong but I like it.

Hey Kiaweroy,
Ok, so you split 2 cords a week.......what do you do with all that wood ?
Inquiring minds need to know !!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Basso

Hi Basso,
I sell it.I supply several restaurants with it and they burn a lot!
kiawe smoke gives a distinct flavor to everything and it burns real hot and clean.pizza ovens, grills, smokers.we got a year-round tourist season here so demand is constant.
also firewood for heating residential homes.a lot of people that live upcountry use woodstoves, most people don't realize how cold it can get once your 3000+ above sealevel!

Hey Kiaweroy,
Thanks for the fast answer....kind of what I was thinking, but wow.....living on an island in the Pacific and having to burn wood to stay warm. I think I'd move a little farther down the "hill" !!!!! Take care and keep cuttin' !!!!

Basso

I dislike doing wood in the summer. I don't know how you do it.
Welcome.

His "summer" is all year and it is ~65 in the morning and 75 in the middle of the afternoon and no humidity in many areas. Go to www.weather.com and plug in any of the islands of Hawaii, and then be prepared to cry youself to sleep every night this winter. :)

His "summer" is all year and it is ~65 in the morning and 75 in the middle of the afternoon and no humidity in many areas. Go to www.weather.com and plug in any of the islands of Hawaii, and then be prepared to cry youself to sleep every night this winter. :)

Hey, I LIKE winter. Lake trout and pike guiding on the ice, snowmobiling, snowshoeing. A snowy Christmas. :) :)

I'd love to visit Hawaii, but wouldn't want to live there. Looks like I might get out that way yet. My daugher is engaged to a Hawaiian, and he's insisting they get married out there and fly in the whole fam damily. Wish they were getting married in February. Even tough northerners like a break from winter now and then. :D :D

Kiaweroy, I bet everyone here on ArboristSite would appreciate some pics of your woodcutting operation and some closeups of the wood itself. We love our chainsaw/firewood poorn. :D :D

yeah the heat can get to you, I run my splitter under a carport.It gets tough when I hand split bigger rounds by hand while my son runs the splitter.thats when I think of wisconsin.( my wife is from there):givebeer:
that said I live on the wet side so rain is my enemy.I do a lot of running around with tarps.:dizzy:I'm looking to set up a baseyard on the dry side.
I'll get you guys some pics soon but it's not as impressive as most of the stuff on this site.truck, splitter, couple saws, that's about it.
what's nice about kiawe is that it doesn't need a long time to dry, i can pretty much sell it as I go so I don't stockpile that much

Hey Kiaweroy,
This is all very interesting to me !!! I hope you don't think I'm too nosey, but you never said which island you live on. I would like to go on the internet and check it out. I like the island lifestyle, however I don't live on one. I've traveled a lot in the caribbean and really think the islands are cool. I have never been to Hawaii, but that doesn't say that I'll never get there. Also, you said that you live on the wet side of the island, if the other side is dry, why don't you live there.....I sure would !!!!! I can't wait to see some pics !!! Thanks.

Basso

Hey Kiaweroy,
Thanks for the fast answer....kind of what I was thinking, but wow.....living on an island in the Pacific and having to burn wood to stay warm. I think I'd move a little farther down the "hill" !!!!! Take care and keep cuttin' !!!!

Basso

or a little closer to a warm volcano. :)

hey basso,
I'm on maui.I kept it simple with wet and dry side but it is a bit more complex than that.been in the upcountry area for 8 years, kids go to school here etc.The leeward sides of the island is where the kiawe grows,its dry but gets really hot, especialy in summer.windward sides get more rain but are cooler and lush, lotsa shade.Its less populated so there's more room for a 'rural' lifestyle...better surf too.this el nino year its been raining a lot but in general it isnt too bad.
I'm trying to post some pics but they're too big to upload, I don't know how to downsize them!
anybody?

Last edited:
hey basso,
I'm on maui.I kept it simple with wet and dry side but it is a bit more complex than that.been in the upcountry area for 8 years, kids go to school here etc.The leeward sides of the island is where the kiawe grows,its dry but gets really hot, especialy in summer.windward sides get more rain but are cooler and lush, lotsa shade.Its less populated so there's more room for a 'rural' lifestyle...better surf too.this el nino year its been raining a lot but in general it isnt too bad.
I'm trying to post some pics but they're too big to upload, I don't know how to downsize them!
anybody?

Leeward vs Windward, does that mean East side vs West Side respectively? Us mainlanders get confused on that stuff.

Send me a big chunk of KOA. I'm building a guitar and would love to get some....

Welcome to AS kiaweroy..
The DIL brought some back for me a couple of years ago when she was stationed at hickham...built a couple of jewelry boxes out otf it, beautiful wood...

Now, how 'bout mailing a couple of small pieces of that kiawe to 'Ole Virginny for me to try out!...rep for ye.

Latest posts

Back