Hazardous oak needs attention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlboy

Reaction score
My parents have a decaying oak in their back yard. It leans towards two sets of power lines and the neighbors barn. the power company won't remove it because they said if it falls it won't take out the lines. I feel they are mistaken. So my question is; how hazardous do y'all feel the tree is and what type of prices coule they be looking at? They live in a small rual town with a bunch of fly by night tree "companies". Topping is a preferred method for them. The tree measures just under 10' DBH. There are dead branches as well as a dead stem that are on the tree as well. I have included some pictures to give y'all an idea of what I am talking about. Any information is greatly appreciated. View attachment 198683View attachment 198684View attachment 198685View attachment 198686View attachment 198687

I saw this thread yesterday and was waiting for one of the pros to answer this.

Those pics are pretty small so I can't tell much from them. But a standing rotten tree is dangerous to cut because the limbs can break off and fall on you while you're sawing it. So topping it, using a crane, is the way to go.

If you can throw a line over the branches you might be able to cut them off with a rope saw, or break them off, and then fell the trunk.

First of all your pictures are very poor to give true help for you.

All trees with considerable rot are not easy removals mainly because no one knows how bad the rot is.

i was on a site today that had some questionable trees, from a distance.

Upon detailed inspection, the trees had considerable decay and are not safe to remove from the ground.

Even in a bucket truck these types of trees pose a considerable risk for the tree care operator.

Find a ISA arborist if you can.

My 2 cents

cant see a dang thing from your pictures
just get someone with a valid insurance policy and go with the best deal, be sure you actually call the company and dont just look at some computer print out
removals are removals
maybe ask for a couple references
if youre looking for a good price just get them to put it on the ground and clean it up yourself
anybody actually carrying insurance tho is fine
cant tell anything from the pictures, sounds like a 2-4 hour tree and youre likely looking at something like 100-150$ an hour for a 2 man crew
looks like theres a lot of foliage on those tree and its oak you say? the power company isnt worried about the lines so it cant be too close
sounds like something i would climb without hesitation
but seeing as i cant tell a dang thing from your pictures beyond the tree isnt stone dead, i could be off
and if you go that route, be aware, what theyre going to leave you will be a _mess_

The first two pics pretty much describe the problem.That base rot probably extends below the root flare.....meaning the horizional spreading root are,which provide stability,are compromised.
Like the man said..bucket truck...fully insured...experienced.

where are your parents located? near carbondale?? if so there are plenty of decent tree co's around there and first thing you do when you call is ask them if they have a bucket cause from the pics it looks like all hell could break loose if you had a climber in that thing trying to rig branches... I cant tell how tall the tree is but if you can reach the top with a bucket you could cut and toss to avoid needing a crane.
we'd prob knock that thing out in a couple hours with a crane and bucket but it would still cost $2-3K maybe more. for a tree like that co's will charge more then if the tree was healthy just as a "hazard" pay of sorts, ya know to cover the deductible on there insurance and equipment damage if that thing tips unexpectidly

treeseer, did you look at the second pic?you'd have to prune that thing to the ground to make it safe

Just from what I could see in the pics, the tree may be fine, looks like it has plenty of sound wood and a full canopy, better pics would be..........better!. I have seen hundreds of trees that have that type of giant cavity, if the rest of the wood is sound, and the inside is not capturing and holding water, that tree could stand another 20 years. But again, better pics = better advice!

Last edited:
treeseer, did you look at the second pic?you'd have to prune that thing to the ground to make it safe

That would depend on the owner's risk tolerance, aka their definition of "safe enough".

The tree has not failed, despite the decay. If 20-30% was taken off the ends, it would be much safer. Trouble is, too many companies lack climbers who can get out there and make the right cuts.

Latest posts

Back