HD Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambull01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’ve been away from this site for several years now so I’m not up to speed. Is HD still selling their used Makita saws? I had one but I gave it away to a friend a few years back. His saw broke and he burned wood for heat. He doesn’t make a lot of money so gave my saw to him.
Anyway I had with saws, an older Poulan which was really nice and an Echo 900 I believe. My damn in-laws threw it away. I was keeping it in their shed, super pissed about that. There’s a Makita in CL for $400 but I believe the HD saws usually sell for less than $300. Just wondering if I should buy the CL saw or hold off and wait until I can find a HD saw.

I picked up a HD Makita EA4300F locally for $110 a few months ago. I was looking for another small saw and it was a perfect fit.
I check out the piston and cylinder when I got home and they were perfect.
I pulled the cat out the muffler and found it to be a very useful saw.

The HD 6421 saws in my area are in the $350 range locally, and the Towson Home Depot has a pair of rental saws for sale:
Gas Chainsaw 20"
Starting at $337.00 / each
2 Available
Towson #2504 (7.6 mi)
In-store purchase only.

I picked up a HD Makita EA4300F locally for $110 a few months ago. I was looking for another small saw and it was a perfect fit.

The HD 6421 saws in my area are in the $350 range locally, and the Towson Home Depot has a pair of rental saws for sale:
Gas Chainsaw 20"
Starting at $337.00 / each
2 Available
Towson #2504 (7.6 mi)
In-store purchase only.
**** man I'm jealous. I want a Makita saw again, that thing was great.

Nice deal on the EA4300F! I'd sure like to find one at that sort of price around here. Reckon I need to watch HD sales more closely.
Congrats.

**** man I'm jealous. I want a Makita saw again, that thing was great.

I see an orange Makita 6100 in that same search (Baltimore) for $350 if that is any better. I think it is in Ft. Washington? I had thought about picking up one of the two also but Makita is supposed to stop selling gas equipment so I was concerned about parts down the road.

I see an orange Makita 6100 in that same search (Baltimore) for $350 if that is any better. I think it is in Ft. Washington? I had thought about picking up one of the two also but Makita is supposed to stop selling gas equipment so I was concerned about parts down the road.
Oh yeah I saw that listing too. Just picked up a Makita from my local HD yesterday for $290. Not a great deal but I jumped on it quick lol. also didn't hear about them getting out of the gas equipment market.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
also didn't hear about them getting out of the gas equipment market.
There was a post in the Chainsaw threads a while back. I checked the Home Depots around here and the blue 6400s are selling for $325-$350. Looks like you did OK, personally I prefer the orange to the blue. Where on the eastern shore are you?

I think it would be cool to own a smurf at some point. I had a red Dolmar and then a red Makita. Despite being a Husky fanboy, both of those saws were outstanding and I’d definitely buy either model (or pretty much any dolmar or makita model) again if needed.

Just a word of advice to anyone buying a Dolmar--since Makita bought & killed the Dolmar brand, many parts are no longer available. Great saws, however.

I've had a Dolmar 7900 for years. I bought a straight-gassed 7300 cheap a few months back that I intended to restore as a 7300 (since I already have a 7900)--but the OEM top end is no longer available. I also don't feel right about selling a saw to Joe-homeowner for which parts are unavailable if he needs something. So I put the 7900 top end on it, and I now have two. Been running that as my main saw lately and like it a lot.

There was a post in the Chainsaw threads a while back. I checked the Home Depots around here and the blue 6400s are selling for $325-$350. Looks like you did OK, personally I prefer the orange to the blue. Where on the eastern shore are you?
They still have the 6400s? Damn those saws must be pretty old. guess that's a good sign as to their reliability. I prefer the orange too but had my heart set on the BB kit eventually, oh well.

Used to live in the Centreville area. Moved to northern VA now. Traffic is terrible lol. Where in MD are you?
Just a word of advice to anyone buying a Dolmar--since Makita bought & killed the Dolmar brand, many parts are no longer available. Great saws, however.

I've had a Dolmar 7900 for years. I bought a straight-gassed 7300 cheap a few months back that I intended to restore as a 7300 (since I already have a 7900)--but the OEM top end is no longer available. I also don't feel right about selling a saw to Joe-homeowner for which parts are unavailable if he needs something. So I put the 7900 top end on it, and I now have two. Been running that as my main saw lately and like it a lot.
Well that's not good. Maybe I should sell/trade this saw for something with parts availability.

They still have the 6400s? Damn those saws must be pretty old. guess that's a good sign as to their reliability. I prefer the orange too but had my heart set on the BB kit eventually, oh well.

Used to live in the Centreville area. Moved to northern VA now. Traffic is terrible lol. Where in MD are you?

Well that's not good. Maybe I should sell/trade this saw for something with parts availability.
Run the 61cc saw. Personally I’d choose the 61 over the 64 due to the weight difference. Unless you planned to big bore the 64.

I'm in the upper northeast corner, Fairhill area. My family has a commercial crabbing license so I'm down the eastern shore at least once a week. I could not find the post on here but Google had the press release, in March 2022 Makita is out of the gas equipment business. Just run what you bought until it quits then get something else. Who knows, that saw may outlast you!

Back