HD2 air filter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Gut

A Fine Pilsner
Reaction score
I did some old post searching but didn't get the answers I was looking for. So new thread.
Are HD2 filters safe on these saws and are there any benefits? They seem less restrictive and have a tighter seal.
20141006_183258.jpg
044. Has old HD with extra blue insert. Can the insert be removed and just run a hollow HD filter? Can I run a HD2 on it?
20141006_183424.jpg
My 046 and 660 needed a new filter went with HD2 is this Ok? Both this style.
20141006_183555.jpg
880 a little different again. Still old HD. When I need a new one can I use HD2?

Thanks

Yeah you can use them. They pack up faster than the old filters but filter good. Biggest drawback is cost at most dealers.

If you run your saw without the air filter, NOT in wood, you'll see a mist of fuel coming out from the carb into the filter area. The green foam is there to catch the gas so it don't get into the air filter.

I run the HD-2 on my 044s and my 046, w/dp muff covers. Because the filters are less restrictive you should get more power and may have to richen the tune a bit. If you have limiters on the carb, you may want to consider removing them.

The HD-2 filters do a good job of keeping my saws clean, and the wood chips just tap out of them easily IMO. Just tap them on a piece of wood, or use a compressor if you have one. I don't run a pre filter or inside foam filter (like my 044s came with).

If you do a lot of milling or work in dirty conditions you may want to consider a Max Filter, but for normal wood cutting I think you will be happy with the HD-2s.

Dealer prices for them seem to vary a great deal. You may want to call and check if you have a few dealers close by.

If you run your saw without the air filter, NOT in wood, you'll see a mist of fuel coming out from the carb into the filter area. The green foam is there to catch the gas so it don't get into the air filter.
So why do newer saws not have the Green foam with the older HD filter? Did Stihl feel it wasn't needed?

Stihl recommends that if your old filter used the green/blue inner filter than you should fit it back in the new hd2. Seems like most of the newer saws (see your 460) have a baffle so the spit back don't get into the filter like old-cat said. The outer pre filter isn't necessary on the hd2 though. The price has come down on hd2's. If your still paying 40 from your dealer he's making a very healthy margin on you.

I run the HD-2 on my 044s and my 046, w/dp muff covers. Because the filters are less restrictive you should get more power and may have to richen the tune a bit. If you have limiters on the carb, you may want to consider removing them.

The HD-2 filters do a good job of keeping my saws clean, and the wood chips just tap out of them easily IMO. Just tap them on a piece of wood, or use a compressor if you have one. I don't run a pre filter or inside foam filter (like my 044s came with).

If you do a lot of milling or work in dirty conditions you may want to consider a Max Filter, but for normal wood cutting I think you will be happy with the HD-2s.

Dealer prices for them seem to vary a great deal. You may want to call and check if you have a few dealers close by.
Thanks. Normal wood cutting here. The 660 and 046 have the surround filter and the center baffle??? What ever you call it, so I replaced these with HD2. But the 880 and 044 don't have the baffle and I have been using green foam on the 044 because it came with it and without the surround filter and baffle didn't know if it needed it. Gone now. ;)

Stihl recommends that if your old filter used the green/blue inner filter than you should fit it back in the new hd2. Seems like most of the newer saws (see your 460) have a baffle so the spit back don't get into the filter like old-cat said. The outer pre filter isn't necessary on the hd2 though. The price has come down on hd2's. If your still paying 40 from your dealer he's making a very healthy margin on you.
So the newer saws don't spit back as much? And my 460 is a 046, new tank assembly on an old case but carb, per filter, and baffle is original and I think it's the same carb as my 044 so why would one need the foam and the other not?

Just asking/learning

you wont get the insert to fit if using either filter on the 880,they come without for that reason
Figured that one. Hollow old HD filter, just wondering if HD2 was ok and you answered that. :)

The real difference is the elastic washable band, didn't know how effective the HD2 were at pulling fines out without it.

Back